WA Marathon Club
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 14s
Overall Rank = 143/156
Age Group = 20-30
Age Group Rank = 25/30
Pre-race routine:

I made the mistake of going out to an Indian restaurant last night and ate waaay too much. Silly me. I woke up at 3am still feeling very full and I started worrying about how I would go. Luckily when I woke up again at 6am my stomach had emptied. I debated if I should eat anything or not, and decided to have just a small bowl of porridge. I left for the event with plenty of time to spare (I learnt from the Bridges run to get to the event in plenty of time so I could use the toilet!). I actually ended up developing vomiting & the runs in the afternoon after this run, so it was some dodgy prawns at the restaurant that made me sick!

I was also placed in the 5k race even though I'd entered the 10k. Luckily the WAMC staff were excellent and sorted it all out for me without any problems.
Event warmup:

Short jog and stretch.
Run
  • 1h 08m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 49s  min/km
Comments:

I was struggling all week with trying to decide if I was going to run or not, because I haven't done a lot of training lately. However I decided that I am not a quitter and I was still going to do it even if it meant I had to walk in some parts. However all my fears were unfounded because this run was so much fun! Especially compared to last year where I really struggled. From the moment the gun went off, I enjoyed myself, ran all the way and even beat my Bridges time by over a minute. I had some gut issues (cramping, gas) at the 6k and 7k marks, then again at the 9k mark, and in retrospect I now know this was the food poisoning starting to rear its ugly head! Luckily it didn't set in in earnest until a few hours later, so I was able to complete this run without any issues :)
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot at this stage, except keep up the good work :)
My half marathon training program starts next week, I am really excited about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water and ate an apple. Should have stretched but didn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to keep training and hopefully the times will improve.

Last updated: 2008-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:14 | 10 kms | 06m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 25/30
Overall: 143/156
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course around the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 4:24 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Women's Classic

2008-04-28 2:02 AM
in reply to: #1364227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Women's Classic
I'm impressed that you didn't pull the pin on this and that you went out and had a crack and beat last years time. Great job on a stomach full of dodgy prawns!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Classic Rss Feed