Set-Up Inc
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 10s
Overall Rank = 18/242
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 and got ready. In-laws were in town, so it was a little different. Loaded up the bike and headed out.
Event warmup:

Because of the in-laws I didn't try to get there very early and so no warm up.
Swim
  • 04m 18s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

The goal was to swim easy but fast so that's what I tried to do. I hit my swim time almost exactly, but I had to pass a couple of guys to do it. That's just how it is with a pool start.
What would you do differently?:

At some point I will be confident enough in my flip turns to do them and not have them drain my energy too much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

This took an extra 20 seconds because I wanted to put on my garmin watch. Otherwise, pretty smooth even though the run in t1 just seems to go forever.

After 6 years I still don't put my pedals on my bike. And you know what, I'm not really that concerned about it.
Bike
  • 42m 33s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Until last year, the bike was my worst part. With enough work though I'm getting better. The new course this year added a serious hill to the mix. I dropped to about 12-13 mph in a couple of spots.

Did manage to pass many people and only got passed by 2 guys.

I was pretty nervous about this bike ride. I've ridden thousands of miles in the past 6 years and got my first flat a few weeks ago. I was nervouse about whether or not I set the new tube in there correctly. Also, on the way over to the race my bike rack failed. Fortunately the bike fell to the roof of the car, rather than over the side. If it had leaned the other way it may have fallen off at 70 mph. Because of the fall I didn't know if anything had been damaged. The wheels seemed true but there was nothing I could do at that point. Worked out ok for the race but I'll have to do some inspections.

I've had some trouble with the front derailleur getting stuck in the small ring, so I stayed in the big ring the whole time. Some of those hills called for the small ring.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Pretty standard. I could probably cut another 10-20 seconds off.
Run
  • 22m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I really thought I was running harder than this. My first 2 miles went by under 7 minute pace, but not where I wanted it to be. Passed a bunch of people and got passed by 2.

Forgot to hit "stop" on the watch after I finished, but I am sure the distance is long. Only 3 people in the whole race beat 20 minutes on the 5k. There should be a dozen or so in that category.

I should have pushed a little harder. I had a little more in the tank I could have used.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only myself.

Last updated: 2008-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:18 | 300 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/44
Overall: 14/242
Performance:
Suit: tri-suit
Course: pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:33 | 14.3 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/44
Overall: 34/242
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:25 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/44
Overall: 18/242
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 11:54 AM

User image

Apex, NC
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1364543

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

Contratulations! I was there for the awards, but I went down to cheer on a couple of late finishers (a father/daughter team doing their 1st tri) during your age group. At the end they only asked if someone new a winner in Wake Forest, makes me think some one picked your's up for you.

I think leaving the shoes on the bike is overrated. And hey, you're a podium finisher, you can say so with some authority!

2008-04-28 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1364543

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
Wow! What a great race. Sorry to hear about your bike falling off the rack. That's pretty scary. Thanks for the encouragement and hopefully I'll get to meet you next year. Are you doing the new Wake Forest sprint in June?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed