United States
St. Anthony's Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 47m 59s
Overall Rank = 3357/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/7
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:45AM and got dressed, grabbed my bagel and headed out to walk to the transition area. Looking back, I'm glad I gave myself so much time. I ended up at transition a little after 5AM and only waited a few minutes to get bodymarked. Got to my rack and found that one of the girls next to me didn't come, so we had a little extra space to spread out. I set up my transition area and borrowed a pump to pump my tires up. (They were pretty close and I probably should have just left them). Anyway, as I was pumping up the back tire and went to remove the pump, the little piece that screws in on the valve came off.

Uh. ok.

I took my bike over to the nice guys at Chainwheel Drive and they hooked me up by changing my tire and getting it all pumped up. He even adjusted my brakes (since it was the back tire) and got me all situated. Awesome!

Since this took a bit of time, I headed back to my setup and finished getting everything ready. Chatted for a bit and then ran into my friend. We hit the porta potties and then I headed over to the swim start to see if I could catch the pros. I missed them, but managed to find my husband and we finished walking to the beach.

Hit the potties and then hung around for a bit until I got my wetsuit on. Went for a swim and warmed up and then headed over to the corral that was holding our wave. (Women 60+ and Athena). I got to start with Sister Madonna, which was pretty cool. She kicked my butt on the race, but it was a joy to start with her. Got to see 2 of my friends while I was in the corral and that helped calm me a bit so that I didn't focus on the nerves. The horn sounded and I jumped into the water and waded in until it got deep enough.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my very first time in a saltwater swim. The water was pretty choppy as well, so I was learning how to deal with waves. I felt pretty calm, but just had trouble staying down and swimming strong because I would catch water with each breath. Didn't want to take in too much saltwater, so I side stroked for a little while and then would start again. Tried to count off the buoys and just relax and focus on a little chunk at a time.
What would you do differently?:

I really just need more time in the water so that I can comfortably swim straight without having to stop. More OWS will help with this too.
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

I couldn't believe when I saw this transition time. Ha. But the transition is huge and I passed up my bike and ended up a few racks over somehow. Got out of the wetsuit pretty quickly, but had some trouble getting feet washed off and dry. Also wanted to make sure I ate some luna moons and had some water. All in all, I feel comfortable with this time knowing that I can improve in the future. I got everything I needed and headed out without standing around.

Dur. Find my bike faster! Otherwise, I feel like it was just fine for me and this race.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little slow starting because I wanted to make sure I took some salt tabs and got comfortable on the bike. I felt really good the whole time though and just tried to focus on getting something to drink every 5 minutes or so and not pushing too hard. I got passed a TON, but was pretty happy with my pace overall since I have averaged 15 for most of my rides.

I just want to get faster, which will come in time. Overall, I'm proud of my bike and it was faster than I had planned on.
Transition 2
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

I still passed my rack space up again! I felt good, didn't feel like I took too long getting the bike racked, shoes switched and visor on. It was a big transition area, so it took some time to get back out.

Same as above, I'm pretty ok with this time based on it being my first large race.
Run
  • 1h 25m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a little tough at first because the whole time you are running, you are passing people who are heading back, so it makes you a little jealous ;). It was getting really hot too! I just kept telling myself to settle in and get comfortable. My goal was to run the whole thing with the exception of aid stations, and I did just that. I dumped water on my head at every station and drank water and gatorade. Took 2 salt caplets too.

My pace really slowed down, but kept pretty consistent, which was a good goal.

Soon it was time to turn around and head back. The last half was better than the first, knowing I was finishing up.

I gave it a nice kick coming down the chute and waved to my husband as I crossed the finish. I'm really proud of this race and my goal was to stay strong, feel good and finish happy. I pushed the negative thoughts out of my head and felt really proud.

I also saw several friends out on the course and that kept me going!

Nothing, I have been training for long distances (marathon and half marathon), and haven't spent any time on short and fast. I'd like to get my pace up for a 10K this season.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and drink and hung out for a bit, then picked up my stuff and headed back to the hotel.

Event comments:

I'm really proud of what I accomplished today. My goal was to stay strong, feel good and finish happy. I pushed the negative thoughts out of my head and felt really proud. I have lots of things that I want to work on this summer so that I can continue making improvements in the Oly distance. I want to respect the HIM distance and I know that if I can make some progress, I'll get there feeling strong and prepared.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement, advice and support. It's helped a ton. My goal was to get out there and have fun and finish strong, and I achieved it. The fact that I finished faster than I thought I would is just icing on the cake. I do feel like I left some of my demons out on that course and that I have more confidence from this race than I ever thought I could gain.

Last updated: 2007-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 1500 meters | 03m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Ultrafull
Course: It was a rectangular shaped swim, kind of an arc. Swam out 4 orange buoys and then turned left at the yellow, 4 more orange and then another left at the yellow. 4 more buoys to the finish where we headed up a set of stairs. Nice volunteers helped you up the stairs to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:23 | 24.85 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was well marked and better than I thought it would be in terms of turns. I was told that the course is pretty technical, but I feel like I handled it just fine.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:25:32 | 06.21 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: This was an out and back - all flat - with some shade, but mostly sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1364795

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Congratulations!!!
2008-04-27 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Great job with the race - I thought the swim was a lot tougher than last year because of the waves...asewome job running the whole thing - the girls started so late in the day - I think they should subtract 5minutes off of our time for the heat
2008-04-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1365017

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
yes, ti was a rough swim!   Did we even meet?  I was so dazed this weekend...  I was in your wave too, Sister was right in front of me at the swim start.  
2008-04-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1365124

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Ha! Lucy - we were probably standing right next to each other and I didn't even know it! That was awesome to see her.
2008-04-27 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Great job.  Love the increase of speed from training to racing, especially since you were staying in comfortable.

2008-04-27 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Great job Sarah.  Super proud of you and the fact that you had fun and met your goals.  I was impressed by your bike time when I looked at your workouts.  I was also pretty impressed that you mentally stayed in your game and ran the race you wanted to run. 

Next time - maybe we put some flahing beer lights above your bike so you can find it faster.  Or maybe that is just me - I am somewhat magnetically drawn to neon beer signs.

2008-04-27 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Great job today!

I echo your thoughts on watching people finishing the run when you are just starting. I was watching them wishing I was that close to the finish. And then, as I was coming in I was watching the later waves starting the run as I couldn't help but think..."sucks to be them!"

Guess it's all relative!

2008-04-27 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Great job today. 
2008-04-27 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Kickass race today.  I am so proud of how far you have come over the past few months.  Your hard work really paid off today.

Don't worry...we will get you through transitions quicker next time!!! 

2008-04-28 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran

atlrunnergirl - 2008-04-28 7:39 AM Nice job - I must have been near you the entire time, because I remember see Rigsby sometime before Mile 1 or so.

We HAD to be close together....our times are very similar!!  Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you while you were here! Good job holding everything together after starting the day with a tube malfunction!

2008-04-28 10:51 AM

Master
Boston

Wish I would have seen ya there! Maybe next year. I saw a lot of GA folks doing the race- very cool.

Way to hang tough in that HEAT! I was cheering for people on the run course, and I was dehydrated just from THAT!

Take a few days off and rest - you deserve it!

2008-04-28 11:19 AM

User image

Champion

Congrats on the great race.  If you beat your own expectations, you always come out a winner!

2008-04-28 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Nice job on your first olympic!
2008-04-28 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well done on your 1st Oly Sarah! You really did great
2008-04-28 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodstock, GA

Sarah,

Congratulations on finishing your first Olympic distance triathlon!  

You're right that water did seem pretty choppy and it was quite a swim for both of us.  You never realize how far a mile in the water is until you see all those buoys laid out, way out there.

See you at the Chattanooga Waterfront where we get to tri it all over again...  

Justin

2008-04-29 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW great job...that was a tough one for you first race!!! YAY YOU
2008-04-29 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1369595

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Great race.  Seems like you had a plan and stuck to it and it resulted in better than expected results.  Certainly well deserved, you've worked hard.  Keep it up. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed