Set-Up Inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 44s
Overall Rank = 181/242
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6, normal breakfast (bacon, egg, and cheese bagel), left home at 7:10, arrived a little after 7:20. Pumped my tires in the parking lot, dropped off my stuff in transition, chip, body marking, then set up and obsessed over what I must be forgetting because this is way too easy. Bought a pair of Yankz, Of course all this was with my normal 18 thousand pit stops.
Event warmup:

Jogging around getting my Yankz adjusted.
Swim
  • 06m 48s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Person behind me was a no show, so no one ever got close behind me. The person ahead of me stayed a full length in front of me. My googles leaked. I've used them a few times, but save them mostly for races and use my old scratched up pair for practice.

I swam hard most of the time. My goal was to beat 7 minutes, including running to the timing mat, even if it meant blowing up later. The mat was a little closer this year. No one was blocking me at the ladder, but I don't usually use a ladder, maybe it would be faster to just push up on the side.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my practice googles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Us slow swimmers had to run with the bike the entire length of transition each way. It was good practice running with the bike anyway.

This was smoother and, I think, quicker than normal. No fumbling and just a quick check to make sure might helmet was on and fastened, I had my sunglasses, bike shoes, and some water.

Technically it was after I mounted the bike, so not in T1 time, but I forgot to

Strap in the water bottle before the race.
Bike
  • 51m 58s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Aero most of the way. Climbing was hard. A couple of times I was rocking along over 25 mph for good stretches of easy downhill. Max speed was 31.

Twice slower bikes and cars mixed to screw me. First, near 30 mph on a down hill I catch a slow bike as a truck moves to pass me, I had to break hard as we started climbing! So much for that momentum. Second, an old lady passes me in her car, but won't pass the slower bike in front of us. For, what seemed like, 3 minutes approaching a left turn I was stuck at 10 mph considering passing this car, but worried she would make her move at the same time!

One other time I pushed myself too hard to execute a pass. I was gaining on the downhill, but as we started climbing we were more even, but I was possibly in the draft zone (probably plenty far back, but I can't judge it well and I'm paranoid), so I passed and paid for it later. Of course once I passed I couldn't let up....

*I adjusted my bike rank in my age group up one (and my overall age group rank) because the fastest biker was DQed, he showed a 17 minute bike split... for 14 miles. Obviously an accident, because no one cheats that bad and his other times were normal BOP. Did not adjust overall.

Be more aware of situations where I might get stuck behind traffic. Get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

At least I didn't drop the bike. T2 went well. I did have to stop and tuck in the extra length of the Yankz lace. You're supposed to cut them off and burn the ends, but I couldn't find a smoker... in Johnston County, NC! I didn't want to ask randomly, so I was looing to catch someone actually smoking, but never did. The Yankz were still a net gain, tucking that one piece was much faster than tying, double knotting, and getting the tension right.

I cutoff the Yankz now, that's it.
Run
  • 31m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were my limiter here. I almost tumbled going down the first steep downhill. I couldn't slow down and was really just move my feet as fast as I could to try to keep them under me.

I could never really get my legs going, my HR was not as high as I was aiming, certainly not like Azalea.

I'm not sure, but something.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and drinking a lot. Seriously, I think I drank two bottles of water and three Powerades.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My leg strength. The wheels fall off long before the engine can really run.

Event comments:

They made a lot of changes and made a great race better. Most notably, supporting the final finishers better.

Last updated: 2007-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:48 | 300 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 199/242
Performance: Good
154 at the end when I remembered to start the watch after the swim.
Suit: Tri shorts and shirt
Course: pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:58 | 14 miles | 16.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 0/242
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:30 | 03.11 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/28
Overall: 164/242
Performance: Below average
Course: When there were hills they were tough, but it wasn't all hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-27 11:44 PM
in reply to: #1365414

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

The only thing I could think of Yankz being were something like Spanx.  Spanx are spandex fat sucker in things you wear under clothes to hide bulges, lumps, fatness, etc.  I finally figured out what Yankz were & I am very glad to know you were not running a tri in some NC version of Spanx. 

You did really good on the bike methinks.  Sounds like you are getting to be an expert on these things....

2008-04-28 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1365414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
Great job dude! I look forward to being out at this race again next year to check out the changes they made!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed