Ironhead
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 14m 35s
Overall Rank = 20/283
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/39
Pre-race routine:

Got up walked outside to see what we had in store. Little cool and drizzle but it was supposed to be worse so went back in and waffled up with some gatorade and water. Loaded up and J and I were off.
Event warmup:

I planned to swim but stood around BS'ing instead. Stretched out a little and fought thru Jack's announcements.
Swim
  • 05m 5s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lady starting the swim held me up for a minute or more letting things clear up in the congested pool. I'm not a pool drafter so this was great! I had no one to pass and felt like I had the place to myself. Should have gone faster with this being the case but I put in a hard effort and took 40 sec off my time from last year. Pretty uneventful swim overall. I do like the timing mat being placed right at the swim exit rather than half way to T1 liek some other races. It alows a better comparison to training swim times.
What would you do differently?:

I focused on breathing more than completing my stroke and really getting a strong pull. Not sure why since in training it's been all pull focus and building form and strength. Not sure where my brain was. The whole clear water ahead of me thing may have caused me not to chase anyone and I might have gone harder with someone out in front. We'll never know...
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Better surface in transition this year but it was so cramped. I got stuck running out behind two guys already in their bike shoes and they were being REAL dainty on the slick surface. I had no way to pass by them so finally yelled that they were killing me. This only slowed them down as they looked back to see who the A hole was. Deal with it. It is a race after all
Bike
  • 44m 48s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I like this bike course but when wet it's not great. The volunteer support was way below average and the cops were there but several times were motioning to cars and I thought it was to me. I saw several people make wrong turns and ride thru cones that were supposed to mark our path. Last year did not seem so confusing.

With the conditions I couldn't have done much more but there was one time I lost focus and rode off the side of the road. I was lucky to not fall into the ditch.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Best running dismount to date but had some Garmin attachemnt issues
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned on going easy on the run b/c of some ITB issues for the last month. This lasted about 20 yeards out of T2 where I decided to run to the pain and then ease up. To my surpise the pain never came so I kept running. There was some mud and and the volunteer support again was weak but this is a good run course I think. I had a great guy to pace off ahead of me and kept him in my sight the whole way. Unfortunately, the guy ahead of him was in my age group and he was gone after we hit the path the first time.

This was a 5k PR and my mile splits were all negative so not much to complain about other than the fact that I can always look back and say I could gone harder even though at the time it didn't seem possible. Overall rank of 47 means there are people out here who can run! I want to be one of them and need to keep improving myself here
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to transition to get warm clothes and hung out with the friscobob, jah, triZ, docshock and some new BT'ers I met - ziacyclist, davidb, jcagg. Looked around for Murphys but found nothing. Turns out biscuits and bacon replaced jockstrapping this morning. I thought Toads loved the rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The conditions were tough on the bike but cool weather on the run is always good for me so it probably balances out

Event comments:

It's clear that Dallas Athletes has better support and a lot more fun atmosphere. Jack Weiss isn't known to focus on fun which is fine but the vlounteer support here was not great. I think the weather contributed to the overall negative comments I was hearing out there but on a dry day I think this is a good race.

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:05 | 300 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/39
Overall: 54/283
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: up and back in 6 lanes of 25y pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:48 | 15.3 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/39
Overall: 12/283
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Country roads with very little traffic but blind curves at the bottom of most downhills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:21 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/39
Overall: 47/283
Performance: Good
Course: running path, neighborhood, back to path. A few hills and downhill from mile 2 on. When dry this is a nice run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2008-04-27 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1365477

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Great job, Todd!!  Fantastic talking with you this morning.  Glad to hear that your ITB held up.
2008-04-27 11:04 PM

User image

Biscuits and bacon, hmmmm???  Name change may be upon me.  Considering the fast, down current pool.  The all downwind, downhill, super fast bike route, and the lightning fast, run course.  I guess you had a good race::::::---------))))))))))  

For real, great race.  What a difference a year makes.  

2008-04-27 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
you are a very speedy man teecris. very proud of you. great swim bike AND run. you and your wife are very speedy triathletes. thanks for all the well wishes and cheers and being proud of me. means the world. lala you! great great job!!
2008-04-28 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Awesome race and impressive improvement over last year. I think it is more than just the new wheels.
2008-04-28 1:00 PM

User image

scottsdale, Arizona
TeeChris, great race despite the cold, wet conditions.  I'm thinking even better days lay ahead.  Enjoyed the report. 

2008-04-28 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Denton TX.
Over 20mph on that wet course is awsome. Good race.
2008-04-28 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

It was nice meeting you.  Great race you had.  I hear you about the fast people on the run...I was 59th on the run.  I agree about the volunteer support on the bike...a couple of times I had to look back to make sure I hadn't missed a turn.

TJ 

2008-04-28 11:26 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great race and 5k PR in tough conditions. Very nice to meet you and Tri-Z Saturday.
2008-04-28 11:38 PM

User image

, Texas
Very nice race. Wiked bike split, especially in those conditions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed