Ironhead
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 34m 7s
Overall Rank = 166/330
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

alarm went off at 4am, snoozed til 4:20 :) toasted some whole wheat bread, spread it with peanut butter and honey and drank a propel on the way to the race. left about 5:15...goal was 5 (a little aggressive to me, but docshock is a gamer and he was my ride, so who am i to say?!?!) :)
Event warmup:

curse the weather. chat with dockshock, tri-z, teecris, friscobob, ziacyclist and camy. yep, pretty much it.
Swim
  • 06m 27s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

first 100 yards i felt like i crushed it. after each turn around i'd check behind me to see if 120 was on my heals and nope, nowhere to be found. felt great about this. then i realized i was a bit too aggressive and needed to get into a bit of a rythm for the next 200. i hit the wall at the 125 mark and realized there was a bit of a buildup behind me. so i let the 3 people go, got a thank you from one of them, and fell in behind them. i think i may have even drafted a bit...yeah me. rest of the way was smooth and felt good...no more people behind me and i even think i ended up passing another one back.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster. i just need to continue to get in the pool to decrease my swim time. overall think i did the best i could.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

made the decision early in the am that i would put my jacket on for the ride. it was cold and rainy out and i did not want to be miserable. smartest move i made because the next 54 minutes on the bike i was perfect. took a bit of time to do this, but it was totally worth it. slipped into my shoes, no socks, helmet on, no sunglasses b/c it was overcast and rainy and i was off.

nada. loved the call i made to wear my jacket. loved even more the call i made to put my rain jacket that i wore to the site over my transition clothes to keep them as dry as possible. i felt very smart this morning. :)
Bike
  • 54m 19s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

so i rode this course on thursday with docshock and was so happy to find that the first 10 miles were through back country roads and up and down some rolling hills, but the last 5 miles were flat and fast. plan was to elevate hr on first half, then spin easy on last 5 to get legs ready to run. it would have gone brilliantly had there been no headwind on that last 5 miles. oops. didn't account for that in the plan. my flat and fast speed was around 14 mph at times...again, oops. oh well, despite the conditions, (slick roads, turns at the decents of the rolling hills so had to ride brakes a bit, wind and spitting rain) i think that i'll take 16.9. am not disappointed at all.

i don't think there was much i could do. i stood up on the hills to keep a good pace and elevated my hr, but it came down pretty easily. took my feet out of my shoes so as to just hop off at dismount line and this worked really well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

there were volunteers there asking numbers. i shouted mine out and they pointed me to my rack. loved this. thought it was a nice addition. forgot to take the garmin off my bike and transition it to my watch, so that cost me maybe 7 seconds. not bad though. getting out of the shoes on the bike is a big time saver and something i'll continue to do. i haven't mastered keeping them clipped in and starting with them that way, but i think i've got the getting out of them down. i like it. :)

not forget to take garmin off bike. other than that, no complaints.
Run
  • 29m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

decided while on the bike that i wasn't going to put socks on for the run for one reason only. jack mentioned that there was a puddle we had to run through and i didn't want soggy socks after the puddle OR at the end when i was standing around. i also decided not to wear the new pink newtons, b/c it was going to be rainy and muddy and i didn't want them to get dirty. how girly is that?!?!

this run was by far my best run in a sprint to date. first off, i ran the whole thing. walked at the water stations for about 7 seconds each time just to take a sip and get hr in check, but then kept right on going. i usually LOATHE the run. i'm usually slllooowww on the run, not that 9:33 is speedy for most, but for this cat, it's a huge improvement. i'm very very pleased. in fact, looking at my average hr, it was at the bottom of my z3, makes me think i can go even faster. am very pleased with this though as i felt great on the run, especially after a harder effort than anticipated on the bike due to headwinds. i may even dare to say i enjoyed it. who knew?! AND...i only got passed by guys. no girls passed me on the run. again, unheard of for me...so happy about that.

then had the t3 crew cheering me in to the finish. saw craig first, then beuhler, todd and jenny. heard jenny yell at me to pass the guy in front of me, so sprinted and was able to catch him. probably annoying to him because really, it was right at the mat, but it was fun for me and for jenny...her cheers helped! :)

aside from my feet being numb for the first mile, which i really couldn't do anything about, maybe push it a little harder. not sure though. think this was a perfect start to my tri season...have a lot of confidence in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

craig is the greatest boyfriend in the whole world because he had my coat and pants waiting for me at the finish line to put on b/c it was so cold. so thoughtful. so happy. stood around talking with craig, todd, jenny, beuhler, tommy, chris, john and sue. checked results then begged craig to leave b/c i was frozen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my own self. everyone was battling the elements and lots o' people went faster than me, so it's all about me going faster. getting better though, that's for sure. finally witnessing improvements. i like it.

Event comments:

race was great. volunteers were great...especially standing around in the cold...very appreciated. thought it was well run, organized and i had a blast.

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:27 | 300 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/330
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 25 yard pool, up and back in same lane.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:19 | 15.3 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: one loop through back country roads with rolling hills and a 5 mile flat stretch to end it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Course: one loop through park and some neighborhood streets.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2008-04-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: #1365525

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Way to go JJ!!  very proud of you.  Keep training and you'll keep smiling.  It was fun to finally see you enjoy it today.  Loved it!!
2008-04-27 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran
YOU did have a great race!!! Fun to hear your excitement!!!  Your training has paid off!
2008-04-28 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

You're such a girl!

Great race Jen! I'm glad it didn't turn out to be quite as bad as it seemed it could be.  Wish I could have been there to cheer for you.  Proud of how well you did!

2008-04-28 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job BABE! Your training is really paying off. You should be very proud of how well you did and how much you enjoyed the day. That podium finish will be just around the corner.
2008-04-28 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job battling the weather!!

2008-04-28 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race!  You're really progressing well.  And it sounds like you're having a fun time doing it.

Well done!  Congrats.

Edited by jcbolton 2008-04-28 12:57 PM
2008-04-28 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Denton TX.
So, if you were looking behind you for #120, that makes you #119. I was right
in front of you #118 waiting for my turn in the pool. Hope it was not obvious how
nervous I was. Great race!!
2008-04-28 1:36 PM

User image

Planet earth
WAHOO for a great race! I am super happy for you. I love the pink newtons, about to get a pair myself. Good choice on not wearing socks, no one likes soggy feet Again, great job Jen!
2008-04-28 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race Jen.  I had no idea you were such a strong triathlete.  You did great in all 3 sports.  Now, I know the secret behind Craig's success!
2008-04-28 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1367127

User image

Champion
the colony texas
soggy socks suck...    great job out there.. and smart move with your jacket,,

2008-04-28 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OH! Great race! You are hardcore for racing. The weather was so yuck.

I'm totally with you with putting on a jacket. Smart move.

Look at that run! Watch out... you are downright decent. Ha! Of course, as far as I'm concerned... that is a fast run!

As for the Newtons... UUUHHHH.... NO... don't get them dirty! Look, I'm still ticked that my Brooks are all dirty from Arizona. There is NO WAY I'd take an expensive pair of Newtons into the rain and mud. NO WAY! I see you are as smart as me.
2008-04-28 11:20 PM

User image

, Texas
Nice job in the not-so-nice weather. I'm glad to hear you're finding your run mojo.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed