Elite Racing
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 01m 8s
Overall Rank = 1260/4373
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 158/427
Pre-race routine:

Woke up race morning and the hotel was nice enough to set up an early breakfast for all the racers. I had an orange juice, muffin and a water. I'd liked to have had a bit more, but we were pressed for time.

Rachelle, my dad and I jumped on the shuttle from the hotel to the start area. It was raining pretty hard, but my dad's pretty smart and he brought trash bags for us to wear until we were ready to start. Once we found the start corrals, we searched out the gear check area and hit the bathrooms. All the while, it's still raining. Rachelle headed off to her corral and dad and I went to ours.
Event warmup:

NADA - I was just trying to keep warm.
Run
  • 4h 01m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to start off easy and for me that meant staying around a 9:15 to 9:30 pace. Dad and I ran together chatting it up for at least the first 13 miles and every time a mile went by, we were under a 9 min pace. We decided that it was better not to force ourselves to slow especially since we were both able to talk so easily. The first 1/2 mary was very easy and even included a quick pee stop at mile 10. It wasn't until mile 18 that I started feeling fatigued and my calves seemed to be getting stiff. This makes perfect sense because my longest run was only 18 miles. I still felt good though. I had kept my hr at or below 160 the entire run, so I was definitely where I wanted to be from a hr standpoint. Unfortunately, nature demanded a pit stop a bit past mile 20. I had to walk a bit before I found a port-a-pot because things were getting pretty dire. After hitting the restroom, I felt much better but also knew this was where I'd have to buckle down if I was going to get under 4 hours. I simply tried to zone out everything. For a while, it worked. My legs hurt but I focused on the pavement about 8 ft in front of me and felt myself floating along. With 4.2 miles left, I needed to hold about a 9 min pace, but couldn't do the exact math in my head. My right leg felt fine, but my left leg from my calf to hip was about as tight as a dried piece of leather. I started walking through the water stations trying to loosen it up which help but was loosing time. With only one water station to go, I decided to "run" straight through and thought I may make my sub 4 hour goal. I saw the 26 mile sign, looked at my watch and saw 3:58:xx. I knew I wouldn't make my goal but also knew that the faster I finished, the sooner I could walk, so I kept on. The rest was actually pretty easy.
What would you do differently?:

Train more consistently. This is always my problem - inconsistent training.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up w/ my dad, got a blanket, water, Accelerade, pretzels and a cup of sliced peaches. Walked a bit and waited for Rachelle to finish. Dad finished in 3:51 and I think he could have actually gone 3:40 or so if we hadn't talked so much. Rachelle finished in 4:50, shaving 34 minutes of her previous time!!! Other than being typically tired from a marathon, it was a great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training consistency!!!

Event comments:

One of the big draws to the Country Music Marathon is a rewarding concert from a quality performer later that night, but this year it was Steve Cropper. Who's that?? Come on, this is Nashville. I'm not a giant country music fan but I do know that some of the best artists live in Nashville. Why not get them? More importantly, some of the streets were too narrow for the number of runners. Overall, I really did like the race, but I don't think the expense of traveling there from Colorado is justified.

Last updated: 2008-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:01:07 | 26.2 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 158/427
Overall: 1260/4373
Performance: Good
Course: Small rolling hills, but mainly flat. My only big complaint was that some of the streets were pretty narrow for 30,000 runners
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Country Music Marathon

2008-04-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1365690

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Country Music Marathon
Good job Ben! Sorry you didn't hit your goal.  But at that distance it is hard for everyone.  You did great.  Congrats!
2008-04-28 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Hell yeah! Nice report and a strong effort. I forgot that you were doing this... your avatar is gone and I haven't checked in lately... But that was a heck of a run!
2008-04-28 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Nice race - I did CMM three times in the early 2000's and would def. do it again.

FWIW, Steve Cropper is a Nashville/Memphis legend - Booker T and the MG's, etc. but most famous for being one of the guys in the Blues Bros band.

Congrats on your day..
2008-04-28 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Congrats!!! I did this race in '03 and where I live it is flat, flat and FLAT. Those hills kicked my arse. You did a great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Country Music Marathon Rss Feed