West Deptford RiverWinds
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 38s
Overall Rank = 52/73
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Scrambled to set up transition area (I was late), helped Nick with his stuff, pre-race meeting...not much time to even get nervous
Event warmup:

Stretched a little little bit during the meeting
Swim
  • 07m 32s
  • 475 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was TERRIBLE. Absolutely terrible. Really had me worried, since that is supossed to be my strong leg!! I was in the first group to go, so everyone was watching me start (so I thought...later Nick told me no one was really paying attention because they were so nervous). Plus, it was me and 7 strong guys who were talking about pulling off their 475 yards in 5 minutes. As my seed time was 6:45, I knew I was going to get lapped at least once.
As soon as I dove in, I realized I should have practiced swimming in my trisuit. The top filled up with water and I thought the bottoms fell off. Ohhh that would have been a sight- luckily they just pulled down a little bit. I don't know how guys swim in jammers & speedos all the time- I was paranoid every flip turn!!
The suit definitely created a lot of drag. Because of that, and seeing guys next to me SPEED by, I got really anxious and scared. I felt really panicky a few times and had trouble breathing, even inhaling water a few times. For someone who swims about 6 hours a week (a lot of yardage, too), this was a big problem. I started wondering what I had gotten myself into- maybe I should have trained more? No, this was just a sprint, I had done these before, and I have been training more lately than for the other ones combined.
Having such a rough swim really threw me off. I knew that since it was my strong leg AND I was starting first, I was just going to get passed the rest of the race; my goal was to hold off as many people as possible.
I survived the swim, somewhow, and managed to run out to T1.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN LIKE YOU RACE. Try swimming with the tri-suit ahead of time. I figured out during the swim it was made to be worn under a wetsuit, NOT standalone as a bathing suit.
And not worry about what everyone else is doing!
That all being said, I finished in 7:32, which was :45 off my seed time, but still not terrible. Terrible for me, not terrible in general as far as triathletes go I guess (swimming's my strength).
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Didn't try to start clipped in; I had only practiced a couple times and it hadn't gone as smoothly as I was hoping. Plus, it was a really small transition area and I don't think it would have saved me that much time.
It was COLD!! Coming out of the ridiculously hot pool building and into the 50 degrees and wind was a nightmare. Trying to put on pullover jacket wasn't great either, but not as bad as it could have been.

Maybe practiced starting clipped in more, but for the race itself, nothing
Bike
  • 52m 22s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed the bike pretty hard while still trying to save some left for the run. Again, didn't pass anyone (expected), but tried to hold people off. Most people were pretty friendly and gave encouraging words as they passed. I did really well for me; I don't get out on my bike enough and was pleased at how I felt. The first few miles were kind of tough and I felt like they didn't go as fast as I wanted, but overall looking back I am really proud. Stayed in aero a lot (just got the setup last week), and tried to thank as many policeman/volunteers as I could. Mostly flat course, a few hills but none steep; one of the roads was really bad condition but we weren't on it long.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Wheeeeew gotta love that feeling of your legs after the bike!!

My toes were STILL numb, and it was kind of hard to get my shoes on because they wouldn't move. Brrrr!

Maybe learn to dismount faster; watching Nick come in later I got to see a lot of people who could really make this one smooth motion, I want to learn this.
Run
  • 28m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

WOOOH!! I RAN!! I couldn't tell how fast I was going. I saw Nick head out on his bike as I started, and just kept thinking about what he would tell me to do if he were running with me. He was very helpful last week in our 10k. Just keep one foot in front of the other :)
Apparently I was going faster than I thought; 9:14 pace is AWESOME for me, especially after a tri. I'm sure that sounds pretty darn slow to most people, but for me this is SUCH a breakthrough. I was pulling about 10:20s during my 10k last week; to be able to move up to 9:14 is great for me, especially since I pushed the bike pretty hard. SO excited.

NOTHING!! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to run more- even though I did really well, my run really inhibited my overall woman category performance. Need to test out ALL race gear before race day (suit).

I was 8th out of the women- not sure how to put this on here. Sounds much better than 52/73 overall :)

Event comments:

OK race. It was inaugural, and very small, so I guess you can't expect too much. Not having day-of packet pickup was very inconveniant; driving 3:30 to NJ on a Friday afternoon up 95 was NOT my idea of a good afternoon/evening. There weren't any spectators (small town, inaugural race?) and post-race food was mediocre (lots of muffins and stuff- most athletes I'm guessing aren't really looking for pure sugar foods! I wanted more healthy options). But they did a really good job for a first tri for the association and the area.

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:32 | 475 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 10/73
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: 19 laps in way-too-warm pool
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:22 | 14.5 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Overall: 46/73
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around the town.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 65/73
Course: Out and back on a running path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 8:33 AM

User image

DC
Subject: West Deptford Riverwinds Tri & Du

2008-04-28 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1365859

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: West Deptford Riverwinds Tri & Du

Nice run to finish it off.  Oh, and if I have worn my tri-suit to the pool for training, then you certainly can get away with it.

You'll learn from this one, then learn from the next one, and so on, and so on...  Great race, Grace!

2008-04-29 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Good race, Grace. #1 AG. Good job! I would have written "1st place" but that was getting a little sing-songy. Way to push the run.
2008-04-29 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
What happen to your avatar?
2008-04-29 3:23 PM

Grace - good job on the race.  Your swim time was better than mine!

Just FYI on the run course - it was short - only about 2.8 miles.  I don't want to burst your bubble on your good run performance, but it's always good to know how you really did to gauge for your next race.

CB

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Deptford Riverwinds Tri & Du Rss Feed