UltraFit-USA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 5s
Overall Rank = 19/85
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

As usual, I had 6 drinks of alcohol to fall asleep. I chose a cheap Merlot this time. I wonder how many other participants drink more than one bottle of wine the night before the race? (and wake up ready to go?)

I got to bed by 10:30PM. I got up at 5:15AM and ate a small slice of bananna bread and drank some water and some V8. Left the house at 5:45 with the entire family for the 75 mile drive.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 5 minutes. Stretched some. Bounced around some.
Run
  • 15m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Purposely ran slower than I could have in order to ease into the race. The official time (16:25) included the transition 1 time which I estimate to be 1 minute.
What would you do differently?:

Train more over the winter.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I screwed up getting on the bike. The area to do this was uphill so you couldn't coast very easily while clipping into the pedals. My pedals don't right themselves well so I usually have to orient them with my foot to clip in. It took three tries. Normal is one or two tries.

Drink a bit more in T1 to take some presure off of drinking while on the bike.
Bike
  • 39m 49s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Again. The officail time was 41:04 (21.9MPH, which included T2).

I am a bit disappointed. I really thought I was going much faster than this. At the end of the race, I knew my total time, but figured the final 5K run was slow and my bike was fast. I guess a lost 5-10 seconds when I screwed up getting clipped in to my pedals at the start. I estimate my T2 time to be 75 seconds. I was no where near to the class of the top performers (my offical speed of 21.9MPH compares to 23MPH to 25MPH for the top 7 riders) . I really thought I was riding near or at their speed. I was blowing by the folks I past and often cruising between 21MPH and 26MPH. Those guys most have spent most of the ride at 23MPH to 28MPH. After the race I really did think I might have had a top 3 bike time. I thought I was gaining on the leaders and it turns out they were pulling away from me at a good clip.

I did OK. I can't really figure why I am disappointed. I also rode my old road bike. Hopefully I'll pick up some MPH when I switch to the fancy tri-bike and add an aero helmet.

This was also my first ride (other than trainer time) since my Oct 2007 duathlon.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

No official time is available. T2 is officially included in the ride time (which I removed to show 39:49, 41:04 with T2 was official split). I rode hard and skipped drinking some in favor of posting a good bike time and then taking more time in T2. My T2 time could have been 75 seconds or worse. I had a lot of trouble slipping into my laced shoes. My calves kept cramping as a contorted my feet to get into the shoes. I would repeatedly stop and stretch them out and try again. I also took time to down 20 ounces of fluids. At 75 seconds, my bike time moves up past my goal of 22.5MPH, but then so does everyone elses. Those leaders would all move from 23MPH-25MPH to 24MPH-26MPH. I might gain on them some though since I purposely took extra time in T2. But not enough gain to be in there class.

Need to get shoes that can more easily be slipped on and off.
Run
  • 23m 37s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my run was slow. All my runs are slow. But I knew it was not as slow as usual. In fact, 23:37 nearly equaled my first individual 5K of the year (23:30 on 3/22). It is my third fastest and clearly the fasted yet within a duathlon event. My old record was 24:09 (first 5K of Oct 2007 race, my second duathlon). My runs are slow, but steadily improving.

I ran steady again. I did not try to push it. As the run went on the breathing increased and by the end of the run I was pretty beat.

Train more over the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

Nadda. Stretched some of course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Each race has been much faster than the previous.

Event comments:

I feel a bit disappointed in the bike. If the event provided transition times I think I'd be real happy with my speed, but unhappy that I am not in the class with the leaders. More about the leaders:

I looked them up in the 2007 USAT rankings. The top 4 finishers average 90.9 USAT ranking points! 8 of the top 11 were listed by USAT, and those 8 averaged 88.1! So, I did not do too bad. I calculated a par time based on everyone I found listed. When I tossed out the top and bottom 20% (like USAT does) I calculate my USAT points to be about 76.9. So that is not too bad. I still have 5 minutes to easily cut from my time as my conditioning improves (it will be tough to get all those 5 minutes this year, but we'll see). I might be 12-36 months away from getting into the class of the leaders (that requires dropping more than 10 minutes).

I also won my age group, but 5 men beat me who were older, and one lady beat me. So I feel like I was 7th even thought my plaque says 1st. (fun for the boys though to see that daddy won!)

Almost forgot. My wife took some pictures. I'll get them posted tonight.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:25 | 02 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 31/85
Performance: Average
Note about this time and my bike time. I estimate the T1 and T2 times because the race officials did not catch those. Their officail times include T1 in the first run and T2 in the bike. Very slow run. I did check my watch at the turn-around and it registered 7:29 and the turn-around represented less than half way since the start was closer to it than the transition zone. I estimate that I ran the 2M in a slow 15:25 and spent about 60 seconds in the transition zone (offical time was 16:25 for combined). I really wish they could have provided transition splits because I'll wonder even more about my performance splits when I get to my bike report.
Course: Mostly flat. It was within the State Park so the only traffic was State Park traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:39:49 | 15 miles | 22.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 8/85
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat. Road out the the 13+ miles section on a state highway with no trafic. The 13+ miles was an out and back times 2. This totalled 3 180 degree turns. Transition was close to the start and end points of the bike course. So not much running with the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:37 | 03.12 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 31/85
Performance: Good
Course: Some gently rolling hills. Mostly flat. All on roads withing the State Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Deleware Duathlon

2008-04-28 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1366031

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Deleware Duathlon

Oops, I forgot to add.  There was a USAT official at this event that went over the rules before the race and stated that he would strickly inforce them.  He raced back and forth on our bike course (part of the course was four 6.5 mile lengths along a closed off state highway) and handed out 4 or 5 penalties for drafting.

I make mention of this because I liked it.  I posted a while back that I was in favor of more officiating after seeing numerous rules violations in my first event.  Some of the strongest critism was the Sprint races could not financially support officials.  This event was the by far the smallest I had ever been too (only 82 participants.  in my other two races there were about 350 and 150 respectively) but somehow the organizers supplied an official. 

He also talked about an officiating clinic he would conduct in June in Columbus and Wendy's International Triathlon/Duathlon.  I have entered the event already and will not take part in his clinic.

2008-04-29 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1366275

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Deleware Duathlon

Wow!  Great race!  You would kick my arse for sure.  The only chance I have against you is the fact you can't swim!  If I could just get a hour head start out of the water..... 

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deleware Duathlon Rss Feed