Ironhead
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 105/283
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, shower, drink water, pack truck, eat bagel during drive.
Event warmup:

Just waited around watching people and looking for my dad.
Swim
  • 05m 40s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hadn't been in the pool since my oly two weeks ago. I felt pretty good the first stretch down. Didn't get into my rhythm until the second 25. I passed about 5 people in the pool. I should really put a faster seed time. The guy in front of me jumped in and did the "froggy" paddle the entire time. Around lap 3 or 4, I ended up getting kicked in the chest by another girl doing the "froggy paddle" I tapped her foot to let her know I was going to pass, but she kept kicking anyway, and I took it hard. Got the wind knocked out of me, but I recovered quickly and got around her.
What would you do differently?:

Not get kicked in chest. Sign up with faster seed time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

had no problem finding my bike and getting dressed. I had laid out two pairs of glasses for the T1 depending on what the weather did. I grabbed the clear ones since there was no sun. I also had my socks in a ziploc bag and they were really easy to get on. I am in the process of getting a new bike, so I didn't have my bike shoes this time. I wore m run shoes with toe clips on the bike (blah!!)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 53m 57s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

As stated earlier, I am in the process of getting a new bike. I had a road bike with toe clip pedals, no aerobars, and no aerodrink bottle, and no bento box. I had to put my gel in my shirt pocket and my gatorade on a regular bottle holder. I didn't feel fast at all. My feet kept slipping on the pedals, and my gatorade/gel was hard to reach. Despite all that, I still managed a decent performance. I was quick up the hills and I took advantage of my power on the flats. I passed at least 10 or so people. The corners were really treacherous. I had some anxiety about the first turn on wet asphalt as it was similar to the conditions that I had my first wreck in a month ago. I slowed down a lot and made it fine. I took all the other corners just a hair faster that the first one as I felt more confident about them.

Have my good bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

The one advantage to having to bike with toe clips... a 40 second T2. :) I jumped off my bike, ran to the rack, put my bike up, dropped the helmet and ran off. No changing shoes this time around.
Run
  • 26m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Three words... New PR!!!! I used my new running method that I have been practicing for the past two weeks, and I think it paid off. (Evolution running) I was faster, and less tired than I ever have been before. The cool weather definitely helped too. I am always faster in the rain. I took off my clear glasses around the first mile marker, it had stopped raining my that point. The course was really easy too. Just one incline that was annoying, but not difficult at all. I got really burpy during the run again. I think I have determined that it is the bagels I am eating prior to races. Its the only common thread between all my burping incidents. I was really uncomfortable, but I stopped and let out a big burp at mile 1.5. After that, I was fine.

Leave my glasses in T2. No more bagels.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and attempted to eat a banana. It wasn't sitting right. I just walked around more and let my stomach calm down a bit. Eventually, I grabbed a piece of pizza and just waited for my dad to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet roads. Having no aerobars, and toe clip pedals. I didn't really do anything these last two weeks. Ran maybe 4 times, and biked about 3. Not really real training. I wasn't even really trying too hard mentally. I just didn't care too much about this race. Probably could have done better had I tried harder in the pool and the bike.

Event comments:

I had lots of fun. The harsh conditions actually were a motivatior for me. I feel sorry for all the people who did this race as their first tri (there were alot) I would have given up had it been my first, haha. Overall, it was good, and I am really proud of my top 10 finish in my age group. Not bad for an ex-clyde in his first year. :)

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:40 | 300 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 118/283
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake style swim in a pool
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:57 | 15.3 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Overall: 127/283
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly out and flat back. Wind was very strong on the flats. Whole course was wet.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:26 | 03.11 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 142/283
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat loop through a trail and neighborhood. One annoying "hill"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2008-04-28 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1366220

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
overall you had a great race!  Congrats on your finish!  T2 - awesome!  That is a huge advantage of the clip on pedals!
2008-04-28 11:11 PM
in reply to: #1366220

User image

, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Great race and congrats on the run PR. It's also good to see you push on the bike with similar conditions to your wreck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed