General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-29 9:50 PM

New user
New York City
Subject: Rotator Cuff
I just came back from the doctor ( Ihad a "sore shoulder" for weeks) and was told I had a torn rotator cuff. You have no idea how upset I am about this. I just begun training on a new sport that Ive grown to respect and desire to compete in and now this..........SUCKS !
Anyway Im going for therapy on Friday and am applying to my insurance to see if they cover an MRI to get the fact and extent of damage. Will keep you posted

2005-01-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: #97125

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Rotator Cuff
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. The good news is, if it's a small tear you have a good chance of improving with therapy. A bad tear usually takes surgery to fix. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Sue
2005-01-01 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
I just started training as well and had some bad pain in my Rt. sholder back around Thanksgiving. I felt a "popping" in my sholder when swiming, had some brief pain and resumed swiming. A couple weeks after that I was reaching for the shower head and my sholder felt like it collapsed!!! I couldn't lift anything with my arm above my sholder for about three days. OOF... My doctor thinks that I may have done something to my Laiba (labial tear). I had a MRI Arthrogram (please forgive my spelling this is all new to me) last week and am gong to talk to my doctor on Tue. I have not swam for about 6 weeks, trying to give myself some space to recover (fingers crossed).
Participating in a tri sport has always been something I wanted to do. Am still hopeful I can do a spint in the spring or summer.
If you end up getting a MRI Arthrogram, let me know. It is not too bad..
good luck!!
2005-01-01 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
One more thing, check out the e-mail string called "Musings about a sore sholder." Some good stuff in there...
2005-01-01 11:39 PM

User image

Regular
Daytona Beach
Adelmo,

Try the physical therapy for all it is worth. If they say, go lightly, do it. I work as a circulating nurse in the OR. I have witnessed my fair share of rotator cuff repairs. The rehab takes a long time. You also may not get total function back.

Years ago, I injured my knee while cycling. The doc told me that a 4-6 hour surgical repair was possible. (I have a bad lateral-colateral ligament) He recommended PT instead, I agreed. It took about 4 months, but my knee feels great. I hate to think about what would have happened if I rushed into surgery.

Having talked about all the drawbacks of surgery, let me add some positive notes. I have assisted in repairs of torn achilles tendons. These people have done great, including runners.

To sum it up. Start with physical therapy, even if it takes 6 months. Waiting may be worth it. However if your doctor and second opinions all say surgery is needed, you need to go for it.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
2005-01-02 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I had a surgery for a rotator cuff tear. Doctor said that I would have 100% use of my shoulder afterwards. I only have about 60% use of it. Doctor said that when he got into the shoulder he found a few more things wrong than expected so he tied my shoulder back together real good.

Mike

2005-01-02 7:15 PM

New user
New York City
Thank you all for responses, I mean it. To date I have commited to the physical therapy and have been prescribed Mobic ( muscle relaxer ). Have not done any upper body workouts (not easy to do, I love the gym). Instead I've just focused on my running. Ran 6 miles in in 50 minutes ( my personal best )the other day. Will be getting on the staitionary bike this week. I'll keep you guys informed & thanks again for the feedback !
2005-01-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: #98004

User image

Veteran
New York City
Just got back from the Dr. I have a Labral Tear, analogus to a minsicus tear in the knee. Got an anti-inflamatory med. and will start PT on Friday. Dr. says that it may heal after the PT and meds, if PT and meds don't work then hell do an outpatient laser surgery to repair the tear. Good thing is that the range of motion in my sholder has not been overly compromised. Hopefully will be back to swiming in a month or so...yea..
2005-01-04 10:29 PM

New user
New York City
Let us know how things turn out. I have not even looked at weights at the gym, instead Im running 3-4 miles on the treadmill. Will begin to get on the staitonary bike this week
2005-01-09 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City

Saw the PT last week, if all goes well, I hope to be back swimming by Feb. The PT gave me some great excercises for my shoulder. I've also been referenced to a couple of websites that you may find interesting for your sholder..

Check out http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson.htm This one is for swimming mechanincs and injury prevention, funny, some of the stuff describes almost to a "T" the Total Immersion swimming method..

this one too http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson_pa.htm Be careful with this one though, you should see your DR. or PT before you start this one, especially since it sounds like you have a Rotator Cuff injury.
2005-01-09 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
I had a RC injury that I carried for about 5 years+, just thinking that I always had a 'sore shoulder' that wouldn't go away - ie, "just getting old" type of thing. But I went to an excellent physiotherapist who diagnosed it correctly and gave me treatment and exercises to strengthen it. It took the best part of 6 months to come right totally, but at the same time I got it diagnosed I was getting a gym program worked out by an instructor who just happened to be an ex physio and she was great at incorporating the recovery and strengthening exercises. I still do some of those shoulder exercises regulary to keep the RC injury away! Never had a recurrence (thankfully!) Note: Both physios siad never to do weights above shoulder height - eg military press, etc as this is a direct aggravation to the rotator cuff.

2005-01-11 5:05 PM
in reply to: #97896

Daytona Bill - 2005-01-01 11:39 PM

Adelmo,

Try the physical therapy for all it is worth. If they say, go lightly, do it. I work as a circulating nurse in the OR. I have witnessed my fair share of rotator cuff repairs. The rehab takes a long time. You also may not get total function back.

Years ago, I injured my knee while cycling. The doc told me that a 4-6 hour surgical repair was possible. (I have a bad lateral-colateral ligament) He recommended PT instead, I agreed. It took about 4 months, but my knee feels great. I hate to think about what would have happened if I rushed into surgery.

Having talked about all the drawbacks of surgery, let me add some positive notes. I have assisted in repairs of torn achilles tendons. These people have done great, including runners.

To sum it up. Start with physical therapy, even if it takes 6 months. Waiting may be worth it. However if your doctor and second opinions all say surgery is needed, you need to go for it.

2005-01-11 9:45 PM
in reply to: #102170

Yoshiko - 2005-01-11 5:05 PM

Daytona Bill - 2005-01-01 11:39 PM

Adelmo,

Boy, I wish I had your patience...... 6 months of PT?!!!!! I had 2 sets of PT sessions for my naggin hip problem. The first one was hands-on and made it possible to continue my marathon training and not only was I able to start but also qualified for Boston. But my pain never went away. The second one was totally hands-off. Never touched me. All she gave me was how to stretch and strengthening training. after 4 weeks with no improvements, I went back to the Dr and demended MRIArthogram, which is in 1.5 weeks. How do you know if PT is working or not or your PTist knows what s/he is doing. How much time should I give, before saying the diagnosis is wrong? I am very frustrated with this whole thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Rss Feed