Dallas Athletes
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 10s
Overall Rank = 12/400
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

Tried to not miss the race and bring at least 75% of what I needed. Forgot my watch so I really had no idea of my times. Had to reset my bike Garmin and no time to configure so my MPH (which I usually monitor for pacing) was too small to read. Downed a Starbucks triple latte walking into the swim. Cleaned my bike perfectly in Colorado but had no T9, none of our shops had switched from skis to bikes yet, and no bike shops open when I arrived in Texas, so no chain lube.
Event warmup:

One lap 100m easy. Snuck in the pool right behind the SuperBird. Thought about grabbing her foot and dragging her to the bottom but I thought it might freak her out a bit.
Swim
  • 04m 20s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Official time was 04:43 but that included some run to the transition area. (My buddy FastToad clocked me at 04:20 wall-to-wall.) I went pretty easy on this swim not wanting to exit the water tired to save a few seconds. Swimmers were separated by 10 seconds and I passed two swimmers. One pass was at a wall so I had to flip-turn and go deep under the other swimmer and into the next lane. Nice to be able to hold my breath for more than a second. Loved the 50m pool. I don't think I've ever seen one in person before.
What would you do differently?:

On a swim this short I should have pushed a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Basically a joke. Couldn't get my shirt on. Average of the people who beat me was 0:54 (0:41 faster). I didn't practice transitions once so I might as well have been wearing a clown suit. Didn't feel it was wise to have shoes attached to pedals so I had to run in my speedplay cleats which not good.

Everything.
Bike
  • 31m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Interesting ride. Chain was skipping a little which I never deal with. Eight ninety degree right turns which I never, ever do. My bike routes are out-and-back with zero right turns. Had no idea how fast to go which means slow. Got passed on most of the turns which meant coasting to get out of draft zone. Riding with people at similar speeds being careful not to draft is frustrating. I'd pass someone and then with no one ahead of me, I guess I'd loaf and someone would catch me. I'd have to coast to get back out of the draft zone. Then I'd catch him again. This went on with 2-3 guys many times for about half the ride until they tired. I think a bar end mirror would help me make sure I was less passable.

At the very end of the ride, I made the last turn and there was a car mistakenly in the bike lane ahead of me. The race folks were desperately trying to get the route clear so I was coasting. Then the car slammed on its brakes and I had to hit the brakes hard. Skidded badly and was a second from slamming into trunk at about 15 mph when I let the brakes go and shot though a one foot gap between the car and the curb. Scary.

Had only ridden my bike nine times in the previous four months so I didn't feel very strong. (I have been on a stationary bike regularly.) Since apparently, I can't remain on pace I need a tiny bar-end mirror so I can see people catching me so I can push hard before they get to the point where I have to let them pass. Be in better bike shape which is weather dependent for me. And it would be nice to ride a day or so before the race to make sure adjustments are correct. I wonder if the altitude change had anything to do with my gear cables out of adjustment...
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

It's hard to run with Speedplay cleats. Probably would have left on the run wearing my helmet if I didn't hear my nephew Braeden yelling for me to take it off. Average of the people who beat me was 0:46 (0:23 faster).

Everything.
Run
  • 22m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed hard. Really happy with this run. Had no idea how running outdoors at sea level, in a triathlon would be for me. All of my runs have been indoors on a tiny track, mostly after the stationary bike, or out in snow/ice. I've improved from my first time trial post surgery of 12:30 miles in a 5k, to 7:12 miles in about ten months.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too easy on swim. Transition stupidity. Bike fitness and bad tactics. Car blocking bike course.

Event comments:

Great time. Had amazing support from family, old friends and new friends I met on BT.

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:20 | 328 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 12/400
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50m pool snake
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:31:26 | 12 miles | 22.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 2/400
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops around a rectangle course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 43/400
Performance: Good
Course: Sidewalks and path around a pond.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: Old College Tri

2008-04-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1366528

User image

Subject: RE: Old College Tri

You are AWESOME!! Great race...and you do INDEED make it fun. Next time at Longhorn I expect you to be yelling for me and team Mango Superbird (squawk squawk)! And btw, Braeden is only challenged to beat your PR now...watch out Ironkids 08, he's gunnin for 1st place AG!!
2008-04-29 4:54 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
holy carp!  where'd you hide the illegal motor???  you couldn't have been that bad on the bike   Great race - a little practice in transition and riding in circles and you'll be taking better than first place!!  oh wait, there is no better   Awesome job!!!!  You are wicked fast.
2008-04-29 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Crazy FAST!!!!  Unbelievable speed that you have!  Congrats on a great race--good comeback to the sport!
2008-04-30 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran

This comeback talk has got to be a smokescreen!  WTF?  I don't think you ever left!  I just put a staionary bike in may attic to try and get some of that altitude training

Great race Steve and nice meeting you and mtnchic (and buddy).  Hope you had fun on your stay down here.  You'll probably be showered and well fed by the next time I see you at the finish line at Longhorn. 

2008-04-30 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

you are speedy and i am jealous. great job. congrats on the 1st place. great to meet you, mtnchic and buddy. hope you guys had a safe trip back and looking forward to seeing you next time you head to sea level. great job.

2008-04-30 5:18 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Not bad for finally getting outside.  So who the heck was catching you if you had the second fastest bike split? 

Great day! 

2008-05-02 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Schweeet!!!!

1st in AG...I expected nothing less.

Keep the training going and you'll continue to be a rockstar at Longhorn.

Nice Job!.

K

2008-05-16 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1373470

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
peto_primo - 2008-04-30 4:18 PM

Not bad for finally getting outside.  So who the heck was catching you if you had the second fastest bike split? 

Great day! 

All the people I was around eventually faded or I sped up. The guy who beat me started way back because of his swim seed.

Edited by breckview 2008-05-16 1:08 PM
2008-05-19 7:28 PM

User image

Tyler,
I think me and you may have been going back and forth on the bike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Old College Tri Rss Feed