General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are some good weight lifting excerises? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-28 11:43 AM

User image

Subject: What are some good weight lifting excerises?

The past week i have focused on the running and biking and swimming to know where im at in my progress towards entering a triathlon as well i have been running 5k runs every weekend for about a month.

I was just curious about trying to put some weight lifting into my plan and was wondering what would be better to work on, id like to work on my upper body mainly as well as a little toning in the legs. If any one has some good ideas on workouts or excerises to increase muscle in those area's it would be greatly appriecaited. I know i need to do leg press's to help my legs with running hills.

- Jameson

2008-04-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1366559

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: What are some good weight lifting excerises?

I always figured between running and biking, my legs got plenty of workout.  So when I hit the weights, I usually focuse on upper body lifts.  Also, if I do leg presses I find I can't run for a couple of days afterwards as I probably lift too much/too heavy.

It's all good though.  

~Mike

2008-04-28 5:52 PM

User image

Thanks for the input. It's def affecting the way i train

- Jameson

2008-04-28 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
Zell248 - 2008-04-28 12:43 PM

The past week i have focused on the running and biking and swimming to know where im at in my progress towards entering a triathlon as well i have been running 5k runs every weekend for about a month.

I was just curious about trying to put some weight lifting into my plan and was wondering what would be better to work on, id like to work on my upper body mainly as well as a little toning in the legs. If any one has some good ideas on workouts or excerises to increase muscle in those area's it would be greatly appriecaited. I know i need to do leg press's to help my legs with running hills.

- Jameson

One leg leg presses are great. You definitely can't go as heavy, but I have found it really helps correct imbalances between the legs. I incorporate three total body circuits into my training each week. Each circuit has 20 sets with no rest in between. A real cardio strength combination.
2008-04-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1368156

Regular
katybug34 - 2008-04-28 9:38 PM

Zell248 - 2008-04-28 12:43 PM

- Jameson

One leg leg presses are great. You definitely can't go as heavy, but I have found it really helps correct imbalances between the legs. I incorporate three total body circuits into my training each week. Each circuit has 20 sets with no rest in between. A real cardio strength combination.

x2 on single leg exercises.
2008-04-28 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
People say one leg but have not given you a reason. There reason for one legged lifts, extensions, or presses is because when you run, you only use one leg at a time. From a bodybuilder perspective one leg is done to help isolate each leg so that you can not favor one over the other. This helps in creating symmetry.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are some good weight lifting excerises? Rss Feed