OKC Marathon Inc.
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 37m 58s
Overall Rank = 110/4685
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 19/173
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00am and ate a mini bagel with pb and honey. Stretched a little and double checked to make sure i had everything before i left the hotel.
Event warmup:

The only warm up i had was going into the chruch where they serve pancakes and waiting for the race to start because it was cold! I stretched as much as i could and jumped in line behind the 3:20 marathon pace group.

Last year i started further back and it took forever to get to the start line. And when i finally started running i was passing people like crazy and people walking. So this year i got up to the front and it took about 5 seconds and we were off and running.
Run
  • 1h 37m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

It was drizzling, cloudy and windy! I wanted to break 1:40:00, but was skeptical due to the weather and less speed work in my training. Once we started running north it was pretty windy. I stayed with the 3:20:00 pace group and knew that if i could run with them until we split that i could make it back with the wind pushing me.

The first 1/2 of the course is slightly downhill, but the wind was right in our faces. The second 1/2 is a little uphill, but i had the wind at my back.

I strided along pretty easily at 7:25 pace. I hit the 15k at 69:30 and felt good. I started to feel a little tired at mile 11, but i just kept checking my pace and picking it up if needed and i stayed right where i wanted. The last 200m me and this guy raced each other down the finish. I barely out kicked him in the end. It was a fun way to end the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing besides maybe go out a little faster. I didn't know what i had in terms of speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Get to the car fast because i was wet and cold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the wind.

Event comments:

Great race on a fast course. It's usually in the 50's and sunny, so a great race to set PR's.

Last updated: 2008-04-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/173
Overall: 173/4685
Performance: Good
Course: It has some decent hills, but nothing to slow down the pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes