Wichita YMCA North Branch
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 35s
Overall Rank = 2/29
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

As per pre-race routine I was up early enough to get all the bathroom stuff out of the way. Had the cereal bar. Woke the family up then sat around and waited for them to get ready.
Event warmup:

Actually did 50 yrd warm-up before the start and I think that is were everything went wrong!
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW this was bad! I don't know if I have swam this bad in a competition ever. Was in the lane with the guy that I figured would win and I knew he would be out of the pool way ahead of me. He was ahead of me from the whistle. For the first 50 yrds I tried drafting but I think it was non-effective. I was told I was the only person in my heat doing open turns. I should not have requested the first heat! My swim isn't that strong! I couldn't find my form at all during the swim. I honestly belive I was trying to hard not to get lapped by the entire heat. Lane partner had a 25 yard lead on me at the 475 yard mark. I have never been happier to be done with a swim in my life!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not try so hard. Just get in and swim my race. I was trying to hard to stay up with the others in my heat.
Transition 1
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Jumped out of the pool and headed up stairs to where the bikes where. The family locker room was supposed to be closed so that the tri participants could exit the pool and get to the upstairs loft. When I went through there were about three people in there changing. I was like "coming through, watch out!". Got upstairs and put the shoes on quickly. Jumped on the bike and put my shirt on while I was riding!

I'd say this was a good transition.
Bike
  • 16m 4s
  • 6 miles
  • 22.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Water part is over and I get to start doing the things I'm decent at. My heart rate was really high for about the first 3 min. of the bike. It was just like the run at Emporia. I actually thought about slowing to get it down. Stan was standing there in front of me telling me not to worry about it that it would come down sooner or later. Him telling me that was probably what saved my race. When I came up the stairs and saw the bikes the guy that was in my lane was messing with putting his shoes on and I beat him onto the bike. I know he is a much better cyclist than myself so I was trying to get all the time I could on him. I just put my head down and tried to keep the legs pumping. Fatigue never crept into the legs like it did at the Central branch. When my lane partner completed his bike portion I was at 5.55 miles. I had work to do but I know he cannot run with me! He managed to get a lap and a three quarters in before I completed my bike.

Don't think I would do much different. This might be my best bike portion in a triathlon.
Transition 2
  • 00m 5s
Comments:

Very quick transition. Jump off the bike and run about 10 feet to the track.
Run
  • 11m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Got on the track and settled in knowing this is my bread and butter! Lane partner (LP) was moving good but he needed more time than what he had amassed. I think he knew it was a matter of time. If I remember right it took me 7 laps to catch LP and get within one lap of him. I figured in my head that if I kept pace he would not be in the lead much longer. I don't know how many laps it took to lap him again. I just set the cruise control and let the good times roll. When my race was over I had him down by a whole lap. He so I made up 2.75 laps. I had a good run but not an awesome one. It is hard to get into good fast pace during these races because you are turning so much. Last year at this race my run was in the 10's.

Run harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked lap or so and headed toward teh NUUN bottle. I had a serious case of cotton mouth!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude. So many races is so few weeks!

Event comments:

These races are so much fun! I wish they wouldn't limit the field. The local tri community doesn't really get into these races. They are a blast!

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 500 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 7/29
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Down and back in a 25 yrd pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:16:04 | 06 miles | 22.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 3/29
Wind: None
Course: Cybex Stationary Bike
Road:   Cadence: 107
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:11:25 | 02 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/29
Course: Round and round. 22 times around an indoor track!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: North Branch Indoor Triathlon

2008-04-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1368103

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: North Branch Indoor Triathlon
2nd place - NOT BAD!
Flip turns are totally over-rated.
2008-04-30 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1368103

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: North Branch Indoor Triathlon
2nd OA and 2nd AG? A double punch in the stomach! Nice run! I'm guessing it was an indoor track? Just goes to show that a tri is never won at the swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Branch Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed