General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strawberry Fields or Camp Pendleton Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-28 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: Strawberry Fields or Camp Pendleton Olympic

I'm looking to do an Olympic distance this summer, and am considering either Camp Pendleton or Strawberry Fields up in Oxnard.  They're the same weekend, and about the same distance to travel.

Leaning a little bit toward CamPen both because I have a military background and because it's on Saturday rather than Sunday.

Any thoughts, experience, advice on either?

2008-04-28 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1368215

Subject: RE: Strawberry Fields or Camp Pendleton Olympic
Don't have any experience on Strawberry Fields, but I did Camp Pendleton Olympic last year and only have good things to say about it (aside from my performance that is). The course support is purely unrivaled as it's marines manning the aid stations and directing which way to go. They're ALWAYS cheering you on and ready to help out however they can. I even had the misfortune of running over a bump and my shot blocks falling out. I stopped a bit ahead and one of the marines ran onto the road (hence risking his own safety in oncoming bike traffic) to retrieve it for me.

As for the course itself, what more can you ask for? Little to no traffic whatsoever, as it takes place entirely on the Pendleton base. If you hear from enough people, they'll tell you about the LONG run from the end of the swim to the transition area. Swim is in the harbor area, nice and calm waters. Don't take it lightly either though, as I had difficulty with it last year, especially on the run, as the weather became pretty darn hot, not to mention I flatted going over some shards of glass.
2008-04-28 11:37 PM

User image

I'd definitely do CP (and may this year if I can run then

I've done the SF sprint (April race, before they had an Oly) and the Camp Pendleton Oly.  I'd do CP for a few reasons.  As ninecrushes says, the Marines are awesome volunteers.  The bike is nice, it's the first 12 miles or so of the California 70.3, so if you're considering that, it's a good intro (although when coming back on the out and back bike course I did see a lot of cars backed up on the out portion, and there were cars on the road sionce it's not closed, had to draft behind a minvan for a while ).

CP swim is calm and protected.  I did SF in April when they had to cancel the swim (guess that's part of the reason they moved it).  Both have a long run to T1.

Looked at the SF bike course.  Can't recall if it's two loops but it looked like there were two out and back sections with 90 degree turns?

SF is a flat run, CP has one hill that makes it more challenging.

Don't know what they're charging for SF but CP is a great deal.  And the shirts are cool  

2008-04-29 2:47 PM

I'm toying with doing CP as my first Olympic, but the cut off time worries me . . . can you tell me if the bike course if hilly or flat?  Is the bike course hard or relatively easy.

2008-04-29 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1370133

User image

Luthien - 2008-04-29 12:47 PM

I'm toying with doing CP as my first Olympic, but the cut off time worries me . . . can you tell me if the bike course if hilly or flat?  Is the bike course hard or relatively easy.

It's not flat. It's not "hard".  I'd say "relatively easy," but that's relative.  There are 1 or 2 hills going in each direction that will get your attention and that you should be ready for.   I am a BOMOP biker and averaged 19+ on it.

2008-04-29 4:50 PM

User image

Expert

I did Camp Pendleton last year and it was my first and only Oly so far. I thought it was a great race. Most of these things have already been said, but I'll reiterate:

Nice protected swim

The bike course is pretty mellow regarding traffic. There are a couple of hills but really nothing that should change anybody's mind about doing it.

The run course was two loops and is entertaining as there people always running the other direction.

The Marine volunteers are great and there are a ton of them.

Depending on my situation I might aim to do it again as well.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strawberry Fields or Camp Pendleton Olympic Rss Feed