Ironhead
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 22s
Overall Rank = 89/283
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:30am and wondered when the storms were going to get there. I tried to go back to sleep, but I kept thinking about the weather. I ended up getting up around 4:45 and checked the weather on the computer. It looked like all of the bad stuff had missed us!

I ate a plain cinnamon waffle, drank an Ensure, coffee and some water.

Fortunately I had everything all loaded up from the night before, so all I had to do was get dressed. My boys don't like either Raegan or I to leave before they get up, so I made sure that I went and gave them a kiss goodbye. Fortunately for Raegan, who was hoping to sleep in, they went right back to sleep. :)

Driving to the race I was apprehensive about the weather- cold, windy, rainy. I did start to think how crazy I was for doing the race, but once I sign up, I do it. When I turned the corner and saw all of the cars turning in to park, I realized that there are quite a few crazies out there! :)
Event warmup:

I did the usual: set up transition, get chip, go to the bathroom, etc... I did make sure that i got in a little warmup run before the transition area closed. I always do better with a warmup.

I then went into the pool area and stood talking to some friends. I tried to listen to Jack (RD), but the pool area made his megaphone speech very echoy, so I tuned him out. I knew the course anyhow.

One of my friends and I stood watching the swimmers before it was time for us to get in line. It's funny... no matter how many different races I have done, I still get very nervous. I guess that is a good thing- helps get my adrenaline going.
Swim
  • 06m 5s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me, especially since I have cut down my swimming A LOT. I seeded myself perfectly. I put down a predicted time of 6:10 (which was at my best swim time range) and beat it by 5 seconds. I have gotten in the habit with my longer races and swims to just find a nice, comfortable pace. I decided to step it up a notch for this swim since it's so short. This was my best swim time (outside of a wetsuit swim time) in a race! :) I even passed a person, which I usually don't like to do in a pool swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

2/17. I was able to get a pretty fast T1 time because I made a split second decision not to put on any extra clothing for the bike. I put on my amber sunglasses, helmet, race belt, and shoes w/o socks. It was cold, rainy, and windy.... maybe my split second decision wasn't the best!

Right as a passed over the timing mat, I heard something hit the ground. I looked back and saw that my cateye (bike computer) had fallen off. I went back across the mat to get it, and then back across the mat again to cross the mount line. I couldn't get my cateye on right away, so I was getting a little frustrated! Finally I got it on and started on my way.

The time for this whole mishap got put onto my bike split time, since my bike split started on my first cross over the mat.

maybe put on some clothes..maybe not. It's hard to say.

Next time I'm going to tape my cateye on so that it won't fall off!
Bike
  • 50m 48s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Brrrrrr!!!!!! I was cold! Remember my split second decision in T1 of not puttng on any clothes!?! Actually my core stayed warm, but by the end of the ride my arms and hands were a little numb.

I was very happy that I had gotten new tires the week before. My other tires had 2500 miles on them, so the tread was worn. My new tires are suppose to be great in wet conditions. They sure were! in fact, I felt completely comfortable and steady going down the hills fast. However,I didn't want to test how good they would be on turns and corners. I took those very cautiously!

The wind was strong. Amazingly though I didn't feel like I was getting pushed around by it like I had on my last few windy rides. It must be the tires! :)

I would say that I pushed it pretty hard on the bike. Even though I didn't average as well on my bike this year as I did last year at this race, I am very pleased with my bike time, because last year we didn't have the cold, wind, or rain to deal with. There was only one girl and just a few guys that passed me. The girl just flew by! Later I saw that it was the overall female winner- Joan Stepler. Man, she's fast... I couldn't keep up!

After getting to the dismount line I looked to make sure my cateye was still there. It was, but later after the race I will discover that it had actually popped off again after I had crossed the mat into transition. i just didn't know it.

Msybe put on some clothes, instead of just having my tri sports bra and shorts.

I needed to have drank more! I probably only took about 3-4 sips, because I was pushing so hard that I just couldn't drink.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

6/17. I got stuck behind 2 guys who were walking their bikes through transition. I was able to get around one guy before we got into the narrow row next to the racks. But there was no way around the other one and he wasn't in any kind of hurry! Of course he stayed in front of me all the way to my rack! :(

This wasn't the speediest transition, due in part to the walkers mentioned above and for my numb hands and feet. I had a hard time maintaining my balance to get my running shoes since my feet were numb. I almost fell into a guy on my row trying to get my shoes on.

Nothing really, because there just wasn't any way to get around the guy.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I grabbed a water at the start of the run, since I didn't drink on the bike. But, I only got a couple of sips here, too. My arms and hands were numd from the cold, so I tried to get some blood flowing to them by shaking them out. That seemed to help a little. My feet were completely numb. It felt so strange to run on them. I felt for sure that I was going to evntually stumble and fall. Fortunately I didn't, and I started to get feeling back in them around 1 1/2 miles.

About a half mile into the run, a friend of mine passed me, so I thought I would try to hang close to her and then get her in the end. It didn't quite work out that way. :) We were pretty much running about the same pace with her in front of me about 15 feet. That's how we finished, too. I just couldn't catch her. Oh, well- the chase was fun! :)

I beat last years time by 6 seconds. Not much, but in those elements and slippery surfaces I'll take it! :) Aside from the numbness, I really felt good my entire run. I wasn't even all that cold.

Nothing again. I felt like I gave it a good, hard effort.

I'm just glad I made the choice not to wear my newest, still clean looking, running shoes. My old shoes didn't look very good to start, but now they are all covered in mud.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a banana and a water from the volunteers and had to walk for a little bit. Saw the group of BTers so I went over to them to say a quick hello. By this time the cold took it's effect on me and i started shivering and chattering teeth. I thought it would be smart not to be out there any longer withot more clothes on, so I ran back to transition for a fleece jacket. I had not put it in my bag, but left it on top on my bag before the race, so someone's tire got it all muddy. But, I figured it just matched the rest of me. I then went back to talk with everyone, BT friends and friends from my gym, and to look at the results. It's pretty funny how a lot of us ended up in fourth place in our respective age groups- me, David, Craig, Jen, and one of my gym friends, Miriam. I was just short of getting third place by 32 seconds. (Hmmmm... could that have been due to my whole bike computer mishap and the T2 walkers!?!)

I just couldn't get warm even with my jacket and pants on. I just continued to shiver and chatter. So, I was actually glad not to have placed because I was ready to get home and into a hot shower and then drink a big cup of hot coffee. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just having to deal with equipment problems, i.e. my bike cateye.

Event comments:

Aside from the weather, which is uncontrollable, I think that this race is a very good one. I've heard a few complaints about lack of volunteers, but that is not what I experienced. There were volunteers everywhere there needed to have been one. i thought that they did an excellent job!

Last updated: 2008-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:05 | 300 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 0/283
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: pool swim at the McKinney H.S. Natatorium, down and back in 6 lanes, 10sec. between each person
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:48 | 15.3 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
no hr data, becuase it wasn't working
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: hilly loop through city streets and country roads in McKinney
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/17
hrm still wasn't working
Course: loop through trails and streets, a few hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2008-04-28 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1368318

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Great race in all 3 areas!  Your bike was really strong - especially in the weather conditions!  Way to go and it was nice meeting you before the race w/ Jen! 
2008-04-28 10:34 PM

User image

Great job SportySue!!!     

I saw what you raced in, that mustof been a cold, miserable time on the bike.  Next time, reach in that bag for that windbreaker - 10 seconds and all!!!

Funny, did you notice that the day after Playtri and now today were two of the most beautiful days we've had all year?  One of these days, maybe, just maybe, you'll have 0mph wind, sunshine, and 60 degrees on race day.  But don't hold your breath!!!

2008-04-28 11:07 PM

User image

, Texas

Great job Sue. Very solid effort across the board.

Even if you would have grabbed the jacket, you still would have had the numb feet Wink I agree about the volunteers. I started to veer off the bike course and they yelled at me to get me back on.

2008-04-29 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  Strong bike; second in your AG.  Awesome. 

TJ

2008-04-29 6:17 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Thats awesome that you beat your time from last year!! Too bad those walkers ruined your T2 though. I think that the lanes on the sides were way too small. I would have told them to move probably in frustration, haha.

2008-04-29 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Sporty! Super fast swim and great bike and run splits! Now, to keep the cateye on and plow over slugs in transitions...
2008-04-29 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Great race! I was cold just reading your report. I just really HATE being cold on the bike. I guess that's why my transition times are always so slow! Maybe if we do Disco we won't have to complain about being cold!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed