General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA: ARIZONA XTREME DESERT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA: ARIZONA XTREME DESERT TRIATHLON - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Saguaro, Arizona
United States
Tribe Sports
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 61/145
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Drove out to the lake... Setup my bike gear... waited for the bus... talked to Jen, Josh, and some other people that I know and some that I don't know. Waited some more for the bus. Got to the start and quickly put my wetsuit on and got in the water.
Event warmup:

Swam out just a little and got my arms warmed up.
Swim
  • 29m 42s
  • 1300 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam pretty well. It was my first OWS race swim since getting the bludgeoning black eye at IMAZ. I found myself a little testy and had my guard up when people swam into me, etc. I kept my cool though. I was a little to the inside of most of the swimmers and when I came around the corner into Butcher Jones Cove I was so close to the shore that my hands could graze the bottom. I pulled myself along for a few strokes and then settled in, swimming in to the cove.
What would you do differently?:

Sight a little better... my goggles were foggy, etc. so I did not sight much as I know the course well and could see the cliffs to my left the whole time, but I probably could have swam straighter at the buoy and may have added a little distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Long run to T1... I forgot to place my goggles at T1 so I swam with them in my tri-suit pocket. I put them on as I ran to transition which worked out real well since it was a long run to get there.

I quickly had my wetsuit off and helmet on. Put my socks and shoes on (old road shoes w/3 straps). Then put my gloves on, packed my bag and was gone.

Leave the sunglasses in T1 before the race... otherwise it was a pretty good quick transition because of the long run.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 46s
  • 16.16 miles
  • 11.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition there were a bunch of cars in the way and you had to go around them but be aware of what they were up to. I made it past them and passed a rider who it turns out was in my age group. I went over the cattle guard and as I was ready to start piling through the soft sandy part of which I thought the course was the arrow was pointing to go to the right. I turn and the first thing I see is a steep hill that you have to carry your bike up. So I start carrying my bike and click... there is the photographer. I continue on up the hill.....

There was then a very short part that I rode... it was still uphill but then I had to hop back off as other racers were in the way to ride up and were walking their bikes. So I started running with my bike until it was too steep. I could feel my calves strain and I realized that I was using the cleat as my main traction and would really lay into my calves. I started using a side ways hike as I hoofed the bike up the hill. I then kept hoofing it up the hill. Then finally a spot where I could hop back on.

I started cruising along now and it was fun! I was picking up speed and grinding it out. It was still a gradual uphill with some short downhill stints. Then suddenly a steep downhill came up with a right turn and then a left turn. As you made the left turn there was a guy there with a front wheel shaped like a taco. I braced myself as I let my bike go as fast as possible down the steepest part yet and then started grinding up the other side.

The gradual uphill would begin again. Off in the distance you could see a hill longer and steeper than the first hill that you had to walk your bike up. As I approached it went to take a drink and dropped my bottle. Argggghhh... I stopped and picked it up and then regained my momentum and started riding up the hill as far as I could. I made farther than some of the people in front of me and as I dismounted I carried my bike past them. I again was using the cleat though and started feeling the strain in my calves. Went back to the side hiking and kept going up the hill. This one seemed never ending but once you could see the crest of it more energy came with the excitement of mounting back up. Then the fun really started!

I cruised down the hill weaving through all of the big rock bumps as best as I could. Then you start going through some real sandy areas. I saw people walking ahead of me and knew the sand was going to get deep. I rode hard and gained on them as I ran through the sandy part. Then mounted back on again and was able to gain enough speed to keep from stopping again, even in sandy spots that others were not making it through. I caught up to this one guy who when he passed me earlier asked what IM I had done. I would then follow him through the fun roller coaster like turns and humps. Every here and there there were some small climbs and then more roller coaster. We passed a good handful of people.

After the roller coaster area there was another rocky steep climb. I hung on to the guys tail still and we passed a few more riders. Then after a short descent, my chain went over the small ring and had dropped. I luckily though was able to use the derailleur to get the chain right back on and did not have to stop. The guy I had been tailing though had taken off (we will meet again later though).

The descents got really crazy and rocky. It could feel it in my arms as the shaking, etc. was a bit jarring but still fun. I was a little ballsy but could probably have descended more quickly. The last descent was almost straight down so I braked at the beginning and then just let go. I had made it to BJC road and would now start grinding out the last couple of road miles that had a lot of uphill in them. I had also earned some nice blisters on my thumbs from the descending thumps and bumps.

I caught a few more riders on the road and nearly caught back up to the IM guy that I had followed for so long earlier.

Just need to get more experience and ballsy with mountain bike riding. Otherwise I road really well.. In my own humble opinion. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Quick transition... just guessing the time. They take your bike and rack it so you just have to swap shoes, hats (visor for helmet), and put on your race belt. I also drank 2 cups of water.

good transition... I really do like point to point races and when they rack your bike for you and there is a chair to sit on it sure is nice.
Run
  • 36m 48s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little worn down from the mountain bike. I am usually riding my road bike so my legs are a lot fresher after riding on the road. I immediately passed a lot of people going up the switch backs. It seemed that I was an outsider as everyone was walking while I ran. There were a lot more people on the course now as the road bikers were clumped in with the Xterra people now. I passed Sally somewhere along the switchbacks but didn't realize it until after the race.

I made it to the top of the switchbacks and then let my stride just weavingly glide through the downhill that didn't last very long though. There was a guy there with some nasty cramping too. I told him he was almost at the the top and it would be downhill to the aid station. I kept going on as I was running up the other side. Then cruised down to the aid station. I drank water and a gatorade and then took another water and poured it over my head. It was some really icy water and it felt sooooo cold since it was so hot out. Felt good though.

I crossed the highway and kept on running and hiked up the parts that you really can't run. People were nice and always moved to the side when they could hear me behind them. Except for one guy who I was coming at quickly and I mentioned that I was coming but he wouldn't move and I ended up having to go off the path and it felt like I took a cactus needle through my shoe. I stopped for a second and then it felt better. Oh.. and I told him "thanks" sarcastically.

I knew I was just past 1/2 way through and was looking forward to the sandy arroyo. It has some shade and is a part of the course that I can just cruise along. I made it through that part of the course quickly. Then meandered my way along the river rock to the finish area. This time running with a bounce in my step up the last steep hill part and right across the finish line.

I stopped and said "phew it is hott" and went straight for the swimming pool.

More mountain bike riding would leave my legs stronger for the run. I ran pretty well under the conditions and not training much after IMAZ 2 weeks ago.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and jumped in the pool. Then ate pizza and drank beer (they have a keg at the finish line at this race) while discussing the race with a AZ Tri Club teammate Larry who did the road version.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water as usual and the hills and sand on the mountain bike and run.

Event comments:

I love races like this. They are very challenging whether or not one did the Xterra or road version of the race. I also really really like point to point races. DCB does a great job as well.

I pushed myself and really enjoyed it. It is too bad they won't have the 1/2 Iron in the fall this year.

It was also great to see some other people I know, including Jen, Josh, and Sally, really challenge themselves. The exhausted Cheshire grin Josh had speaks for itself.

Last updated: 2008-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:42 | 1300 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 15/145
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: From Keyhole to Butcher Jones Cove
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:46 | 16.16 miles | 11.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Wind: Little
Course: From Butcher Jones Cove out on the dirt roads (I guess you can call them that) then back onto BJC road to the bush highway to the Saguaro lake resort.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:48 | 04.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Course: Brutal run straight up some switchbacks, then winding up and down throughout the trail. Through a sandy arroyo and then along some big river rocks and uphill to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 10:30 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: XTERRA: ARIZONA XTREME DESERT TRIATHLON

2008-04-29 1:18 AM
in reply to: #1368335

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: XTERRA: ARIZONA XTREME DESERT TRIATHLON
UGH deep sand on a mtn bike is the WORST!!! AND hike-a-bikes, well I obviously didn't want to do it so HUGE kudos to you! Your bike split was fantastic and your run always has me in awe, especially on that INSANE course, it was really, really tough. I did think to myself while out there 'Andy didn't make the run out to be *this* hard!'

So...when's your next XTerra? I could see a future in it for you, you seem to like pain!
2008-04-29 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race report Andy! You are so versatile! You can totally rock the road bike and MTN bike! And you ran those trails like it was no big deal! Well done!

You are going to have a great year with all your adventurous races!

2008-04-29 9:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-29 10:24 AM

Pro
AZ
Awesome job Andy!! Super tough race, but you gutted it out and had a great one!
2008-04-29 10:37 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Reading your report brought back memories. I remember that first wash and then the steep hill right after where the photographer was. The wash steals all your momentum so you have nothing going into that climb. I remember the sandy section after the climbs was REALLY long too.

Great job on doing that race just 2 weeks after IMAZ! That's one challenging course, and you rocked it!

Hopefully I'll see ya there next year. I've got it on the calendar!

2008-04-29 11:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-29 11:51 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Andy!  It was awfully hot out there.  I cannot even IMAGINE doing that 'run' course as quickly as you did - amazing!
2008-04-29 12:10 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job Andy! Those Xterra's sound tough.
2008-04-29 3:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Nice race Andy. It sounds like it was a tough day, but you're back to going fast! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA: ARIZONA XTREME DESERT TRIATHLON Rss Feed