St. Anthony's Triathlon
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 33s
Overall Rank = 1902/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 242/332
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am, usual pre-race breakfast, porta-potty, set-up transition, porta-potty again, head over to beach with my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

The morning went so fast that I did not have time to warm-up. By the time I had my wetsuit on I just had enough time to get in the water and watch the first few waves get started. I did talk to LOTS of people, most from the Atlanta area, it was a good morning.
Swim
  • 29m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not quite over the mauling that I experienced in my last swim, I positioned myself at the back of the pack for the start. So I spent the first 500 meters navigating my way around the slower swimmers but there was plenty of room. The real problem was that in the first 500 meters 4-5 times I turned my head to take a breath only to have a wave right there causing me to take in huge gulps of water...at this point I didn't realize how detrimental this would be. We were definately swimming against a current for the first 500 meters but it didn't bother me too much.
Turned the corner and immediately felt the difference not swimming into a current. I paid very close attention to staying on course. I have a tendency to veer off to the left during OWSs and I knew the current would help push me that way. At this point it was a pretty uneventful swim. I wasn't pushing hard enough to get tired but I felt as though I was swimming a perfect pace to finish the swim in 30 minutes which was my goal.
As I turned the last corner I was starting to feel the effects of all that salt water in my belly from the beginning of the swim. My stomach was not feeling well at all. A few minutes later I could feel my whole mid section starting to bloat and as it was bloating more and more my wetsuit was getting more and more uncomfortably tight. Then I started feeling very hot...not sure if it was from not feeling well or b/c the water really wasn't cold enough to warrant the use of the wetsuit...either way it was multiplying how poorly I was feeling.
Climbed up the stairs, checked my watch, perfectly on schedule and confident that I'll feel better once I get the wetsuit off.

What would you do differently?:

This was a great swim...I felt sick and hit my swim goal...can't ask for more.

Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I started to run into transition which seemed to make the stomach feel worse. I decided to walk. The wetsuit was pretty much off by the time I got to my bike. W/o urgency I put on my helmet and started to walk out of transition. Just as I took the bike off the rack I let out an explosive burp, it felt good. Ok, this is going to get better. I burped my way out of transition, feeling better with each burp.

It's embarrassing how slow this transition was but I felt sick from the swim and I thought it better to take it slow and start feeling better.
Bike
  • 1h 14m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started great. I ran a little further onto the bike course than I needed to but there were more than a few bikers clogging things up...it was quicker and easier to run past them and just get going. I hopped on, road over the cobble stone and then put my feet into the shoes, strapped them up and found the most comfortable gear to keep my cadence between 90-95. It was fun to see look at the bike computer and see that I was doing over 20 mph. This is going to be a nice cushion b/c I'm only hoping to average 18.75 mph. Let's see how long I can maintain this pace?? With the exception of my belly I'm feeling pretty good. In terms of GI issues I'm feeling about 90% at this point.

Mile 5, I'm still holding the pace and my legs feel strong and my heart rate is pretty low. The only downside is that GI issues seem to be getting worse. Every time I try to drink some nutrition I feel like I'm going to vomit. I start to wonder if I might not be better off if I do. I decide that I'll keep it in as long as I can.

Mile 10, still holding my pace, legs feel great, heart rate is low, and my bike is so comfortable that I might as well be laying on the couch...but I still want to vomit.

Mile 20, still holding the pace but the legs feel it for the first time. I start to slow down for about a 1/4 mile and then I decide that there is no way in hell that I'm going to keep this pace for so long and end up with a avg. mph of less than 20...back up to pace. The tired leg feeling was gone in a few minutes anyway.

Coming towards transition I got my feet out of the shoes and dismounted well.

I didn't know how much to save for the run. Now I know that I could have pushed much harder. Otherwise, this was a great bike. I felt sick and exceeded my goal of 18.75 avg. mph.
Transition 2
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

I ran into transition but then decided to walk to my rack to let my heartrate drop and my stomach settle. Maybe b/c I was upright for the first time in over an hour but all of a sudden my stomach felt a bit worse. Since I didn't feel well anyway I took the time to wipe my feet off, put on my socks (no socks for the bike), and I walk rather slowly out of transition.

Not feel sick
Run
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I left transistion I started running. I didn't know how fast but it was comfortable and I was feeling much better. This is when I realized that I could have pushed harder on the bike...it didn't even feel like a T-Run.
Water station coming up, drank some gatoraid and some water and pretty much instantly felt crappy again. Mile 1 came at 9 minutes...wow, 9 min/miles. My goal is to avg 10 min/miles. I knew I couldn't maintain that for the whole run but I was ok with it for now.

Started to feel much better. Water station coming up, drank some gatoraid and some water and pretty much instantly felt crappy again. I noticed the pattern. No more drinking on the run.

Mile 2 I got a cramp and I walked 1 minute to let it fade. Started running again.

Starting with the next water station I only used the water to pour over my head. If I couldn't drink it I was going to try to keep cool.

The cramp came back 2 more times, each time I gave myself a 1 minute walk break and came back running at a stronger pace than before the walk.

Kristen and Jack were waiting for me in the finish chute. I grabbed Jack, put him on my shoulders and headed towards the finish line. Crossed the finish line and had them put the medal on Jack...this was the highlight of a race where I had fun from start to finish regardless of how I was feeling.

I can't say it enough...this was a great race. I was dealing with salt water overdose GI issues and I had a run that I'm not unhappy with.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the family and walked around a bit waiting for the stomach to settle. It only took about 10 minutes for the stomach to settle completely but I ate and drank much less than I normally would after a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First and foremost, my goal. My "aggressive" goal was to finish in under 3 hours, I really expected to finish around 3:10. If I can finish in 2:54:33 with minor GI issues than I can certainly try for a faster time. In hindsight I'd really push much harder on the bike.

Event comments:

So much fun!!

Last updated: 2008-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 144/332
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto First Wave
Course: Rectangular course ending with a set of stairs to get out of the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:00 | 24.85 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 221/332
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Flat course through St. Petersburg
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:23 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 272/332
Performance: Average
Course: Flat run by the water and through the neighborhood
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-29 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-29 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1368874

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Awesome race man!  I can't believe all that you overcame and still CRUSHED 3 hours.  I know exactly what you are talking about with the "salt water belly".  Nice job not letting it take over your race. 

2008-04-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1369488

Regular
Tampa
great race! I also found the salt water and gels dont mix well...
2008-04-29 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I had the same stomach issues, but not until the run. I blame it on excessive salt water intake as well. Strange that it doesn't work better for us, considering it is sodium and all. I guess it's not nuun.
Great race! Excellent time.. and yes, ALWAYS set that bar higher.
2008-04-29 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job! You smoked the bike course and crushed your goal- doesn't get much better than that!
2008-04-29 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1369770

Regular
Tampa
great job!

2008-04-29 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Awesome race!! It sounds like the salt water messed with a lot of people this weekend, I wonder if there was something other than salt this year in the water? It definately sounds like the bar needs to be raised higher for your next Oly - great start to the season!
2008-04-29 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Great race Jay. 
2008-04-29 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Fantastic race!  It looks like every single aspect of it (except for the GI stuff) was better than expected.  Wow - you sure have come a long way.
2008-04-29 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania

I've been waiting for this race report since Sunday!  Congratulations, and a hell of a race.  Way to shatter that goal, and while feeling sick!  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed