St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 30s
Overall Rank = 2512/4000
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 60/104
Pre-race routine:

Ate a granola bar before leaving the hotel. Grabbed one for the wait and headed out the door. Nothing unusual here.
Event warmup:

I got in the water about 20 minutes before my wave with Elena. Wanted to get the shock of the cold water over with. She also gave me some pointers on my stroke.
Swim
  • 41m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I was hoping for a better performance than last year and I obviously didn't have it. Although, the water conditions were much worse this year and I know that played a role in my performance. The way out to the first turn buoy went really quick. I felt like I was going to have a decent swim. The farther out I got the more rough the water became and as I rounded that first buoy it was much harder than I expected to keep any rythm. I kept bringing my head out of the water and swimming breast stroke. I was officially a mess. This is no surprise though, as I battle with the swim. Really, I made it through the swim and I feel it was okay for me..
What would you do differently?:

Practice in open water more. Not let myself get mental and keep picking my head out of the water. I just need to keep swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This is a little slower than it should be and would have been but my bladder was out of control. I had to pee so I just sat down and did it before getting on my bike. That's where the extra time went, other than that it was smooth.

Nothing really. I had an issue with nutrition from the get-go and this was one of the effects.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt strong from go. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had a great time on the bike. I was passing people the entire way and was only passed by a few guys. I knew I was pushing hard and keeping a good speed but since I left my computer in the car I wasn't sure of what I was doing. I remembered most of the course from last year and it really went by quick depite having to pee the entire time. I thought about stopping but the only porta pot I saw was too difficult to get to. I just told myself I would stop on the run..as I could make up the time there. Man, was I wrong. I wasn't ready to get off I was having so much fun but I was definitely ready for the bathroom :)

Not much. Perhaps push a little harder but I feel good about this time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

This went well. I'm sure I could improve my time but transition is huge at this race. I ran out with race belt in hand so not to waste any time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 03m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a piss poor performance. (Pun intended) My first thoughts on the run were I need to pee! I headed straight for the first porta pot I saw and I was in there for at least 2 minutes. haha. I thought I would feel much better after letting all that fluid go but no such luck. I stopped at the first aid station and sipped some gatorade and dumped a cup of water over my head. The next thing I know my stomach is cramping bad. It hurt to move. Then the gatorade came out. I tried to just keep moving but it hurt. So, I moved slowly along hoping it would let up and it did, until I took another sip of water. It wouldn't stay down. So I decided to just not drink anything else which probably was a bad move. I did though keep dumping water over my head to try and stay cool. I just kept moving forward in hopes to feel better. At mile 4.5 I did start to feel okay, so I picked up my pace to a "normal" run but it was too late. I already knew my goal for the race was shot.

This is where it gets tricky. I want to say I could have pushed through it but in reality I wasn't able to. This is my favorite event of the 3 and it's also my strongest. So to have such an aweful experience really upsets me. I blame the run on my nutrition, not today, but the previous days leading up to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat under a tree for a while after finishing with a cold towel over my head. Wondering "what the hell happened out there"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition the day before was just plain horrible. Eating pizza and breadsticks the night before was a bad move. Not to mention at 9 PM. The next "issue" I had was peeing. It was abnormal to say the least. Why? Because the night before I drank TONS of water..all day too..and I never pee'd. Of course, hind sight is 20/20, and I didn't realize until after the race this would be an issue. So I pee'd before my wave start twice, then had to pee immediately getting in the water. So, I did in T1. But as soon as I got on my bike I had to go again. I didn't want to stop so held on til the run....I obviously held ALL of those fluids from the previous day until the race, when it was very bad timing. Very strange.

Event comments:

Free beer. I mean really, what else do you need to say? This is an excellent event and very well organized. I will definitely do this race again. (even though I'm cursed on this course)

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:17 | 1640 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/104
Overall: 0/4000
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit.
Course: Rectangle starting along the pier and ending on the other side.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:34 | 24.85 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/104
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A very technical course with lots of turns. Relatively flat but with long gradual inclines. Similar to the SCT.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:20 | 06.21 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/104
Performance:
Course: Flat out-and-back. No shade on a hot hot day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-29 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1369662

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
After reading your report.. it's offical, I now have to pee. Just think how sweet it will feel when you break the curse on that course. Really, you still had a great race. Some issues, yeah, but we all have those. You always seem to learn from yours, so no worries. After all, this is just your second season, and what.. 5th or 6th Triathlon? Great Job Amy.
2008-04-29 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Some fellow triathletes and I were talking just a few days ago and it was the consensus that everyone needs to have a race or two like this to figure out what put you there in the first place and not repeat it next time. My thoughts are to look for the good here, which I think is that you won't have this race again. I like the fact that you finished despite the obstacles. Well done.

H.

...however, I would prefer that my transition towel is no where near you in any given race.
2008-04-29 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Now I have to pee too.....

Seriously- great start to the season. We all know you are a badass runner, so don't be too dissapointed with yourself- you are not always going to be "on".  By mid-season you wil be kicking some serious tail!

2008-04-29 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Sounded like a tough day but a good day at the same time.  Nice staying with it when things were not going your way.   

Good luck with your next race!

2008-04-30 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I completely agree with the above poster who wrote you need to have a race or two like this to learn from..

It's not at all like it was an awful, horrible day.. Looks like you hauled on the bike!

Congrats and I am sure you'll get some payback.

2008-04-30 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I am glad I just went to pee.  You still had a good race.  IMO, it is the races where we made mistakes that allow us to learn and grow the most.  You will get the peeing...erm...nutrition thing down.  Congrats!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed