General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Santa Ana River Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-29 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
Subject: Santa Ana River Trail
In May I plan on spending 30+ hours on the trail. Just wondering who else is spending lots of time on it. I'm trying to get to know some people who ride it...maybe meet up for some of the longer 3+ hour rides.
Seems like all the cyclists I meet on the trail are super friendly. We are so lucky to not be biking on roads!!!

2008-04-29 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1370724

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: Santa Ana River Trail
I get on it a few times a month, but it can become a bit boring at times. I usually start at Katella and head up and back for the first 30 mile part of the ride. Back to the car to change bottles and grab some fuel. Then on to the beach and eith north up PCH or south down to Back Bay and up the San Diego Creek trail. Usually try to get 70-90 miles in either way. I have it planned out so water and bathrooms are always only about 15 miles apart.

This is also good when the on-shore winds pick up so I get a nicve 'push' back to the car to end the ride. When the Santa Ana's are strong I try other things.

Im gonna be kinda slow for the next few months though, trying to build my base miles currently.
2008-04-29 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
El Segundo, CA
I was just up there this past Sunday- rode about 10 miles in from PCH. Unseasonably warm offshore breezes felt like a blowdryer in your face on the way in; needless to say the way back was more pleasant. This was my first time on the trail. I've seen photos of the more inland sections, which I'd like to check out some time.
2008-04-30 1:01 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I ride it at least once a week. But usually only from Segerstrom to the Beach and back. Plus 2 1/2 miles each way to my house.

Would like to add some more miles to my ride.

Ride Santiago canyon a couple times a month 32 miles round trip from an Irvine shopping plaza.
2008-04-30 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

I ride it once or twice a month.  I usually start in Long beach and go up to the dam and back for 65 miles.

Outside of the slight uphill grade toward the dam (N), it is pretty flat, so I tend to ride other places to get hills.

2008-04-30 11:06 AM

User image

Huntington Beach, California
I'm on it all the time and have been for years. Yeah, it gets a little boring and there are no hills, but it's great not dealing with cars on the road. There are some good spots for tempo rides and some speedy pickups, which I like.

I ride a gray/white P2C, sometimes with Hed 3's on, like today (last ride before Wildflower long course this weekend!) I wave at everyone and see lots of tri bikes out there, but never have really stopped to chat. It would be nice though to get a weekend group together. I'd be up for meeting at the beach parking lot on Saturday mornings if anyone else is up for it. I live in HB and pass by there on my weekend rides anyway.

Joe

2008-04-30 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1372337

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
JJCTRI - 2008-04-30 11:06 AM

It would be nice though to get a weekend group together. I'd be up for meeting at the beach parking lot on Saturday mornings if anyone else is up for it. I live in HB and pass by there on my weekend rides anyway.

I'm in for this! PM me when you recover from Wildflower

The trail itself is flat but there are lots of hills towards the end of the trail inland. Just need to hop off the trail for a few miles and you can climb all you want
2008-04-30 2:23 PM

User image

Expert

I'm working on getting back on the bike after an injury, but once I'd be interested in meeting up for a group ride now and again. If you guys take this talk offline let me know.

I also ride Santiago Canyon like Cash does, as I live right on the loop. We've talked about putting together group rides for that as well. You can get some hills in that way....

2008-04-30 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA

Sup elheffee99!  The SART will be my second home as I start my training for IM AZ after Thanksgiving...  I do all my long rides on it to stay away from traffic...  I'm up for a ride out and if we go over the hill on to La Palma, we can even stop for something to eat as I think there are places all along that stretch..  I hope to get in a ride next weekend as I'm out of town this weekend..

Anyone who is up for a ride say 30-40 miles, I'm in...  I can usually hang at about 15-16MPH so I'm not speedy, but up for a bit of a challenge.  If I can't hang, go ahead and leave me as I can find my way home!  I won't get too crazy as I have a race coming up in July so no need to do 50-60 milers yet..

I'm up for a meeting at the beach as I'm in HB too, near Beach & Garfield..  PM me when anybody wants some company and if 'm around, I'm in..

Lori...  "Improvise, Overcome, Adapt"  Tongue out

Edited by TriBabe2006 2008-04-30 7:53 PM
2008-05-04 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
I would join a group ride, depending on the details. I'm in Redondo Beach so I'd have to drive to the starting point, so I'd rather not do something too short. At least 40 miles would be good. But let me know if a group forms anyway. I have a training buddy that has wanted to ride the SART for some time now. Most likely we would both join you.

I rode this bike path with a group that was training for IMAZ last year. We started at PCH and rode all the way up, then went out onto the road a bit further to Green River before turning back. I think it was just short of 65 miles round trip. I really liked the no stops aspect and especially the more scenic upper end of the bike path.

Unfortunately we only did this ride once, as they switched over the San Gabriel River bike path for the longer distance. From our starting point in Long Beach we rode to the far end of the bike path well past the Santa Fe Dam, then up San Gabriel Canyon Road into the mountains about another 9 miles to the Riccon Fire Station before turning around. That makes for a 100 mile ride. Not as scenic a bike path as Santa Ana, but I'd join a group again on this one too. Probably not the full 100 miles, but I'm open.
2008-05-05 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Ok I am a wimp. Did this ride Saturday. Warner to Weir Canyon and back to Segerstrom.

My butt was sore, and my legs screaming and it was only 42 miles. Going out seemed really easy. Found out why on the way back. 15 mph winds in my face all the way back.

2008-05-05 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
I would be up for this as well.

I have a question about going North on the River Trail. How do you continue North past the Honda Center? I usually stop at the little turn around at the Honda Center, but would like to continue North. Does the Trail continue on the East side of the River?
2008-05-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1381769

User image

Veteran
Southern California

Yes, just cross the river on the bridge and continue going. In total there are 3 wooden bridges and two street bridges you cross, there is also a short bit where the bike path is the sidewalk just past Weir Canyon.

Here is a link to a bikely.com path I made: SART

2008-05-05 6:44 PM

User image

New user

I ride almost every Saturday morning.  theres from 2-4 of us that start in Anaheim hills, in the parking lot of Rock and Road Cyclery at 7am.  We usually ride to the beach and back.  There are plenty of hills near our start, which is 30 yards from the imperial exit off the 91.  We usually go at about 17-18mpr, but we're pretty casual. I'd be interested in meeting Sundays possible too
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Santa Ana River Trail Rss Feed