of 13

2008-04-30 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Subject: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Username: Gremlin327
First name: Gary
My name is Gary. I did my first sprint triathlon back in October 2003 as something fun with a group of friends. I had always ridden bikes (BMX and road) and still did a few 5k/10k's each year. However, the first time I swam was 2 nights before the race, a HUGE mistake. I did 90% of the swim on my back! I continued to do that 1 tri each year through 2005, then got lazy and gained weight.

In mid 2006 I visited a friend in Philadelphia for the weekend, the same weekend as the Philly Tri in Fairmont Park. We decided to go down and watch the race. I was so motivated watching these people that I decided that I was going to continue my tradition and do that race again in October, but I was also going to be CRAZY and try another race, in August. I got home, joined a gym the first day back, weighed 200 pounds and had a 5k time 7 min slower than my PR.

Well, that feels like a long time ago! I completed those 2 races and also a Du in 2006. In 2007, I set PR's in the 5k, 10k, Half Marathon, completed 5 Sprint Tri's and 3 Olympic distance races including St. Anthony's, Philadelphia and Chicago!

I am single, but I live with my wonderful girlfriend, our 2 dogs (Ziggy and Abby) and 3 cats (Eppy, Rocky and Felix)

My current training is for some longer distance races, but keeping the intermediate distance training also. I mix between long slow work and speed work.

So far this year I have completed my first marathon, finished 6th overall in a Sprint tri and set an Oly distance PR at St. Anthony's.

Additional races this year will be 2 more new challenges, Ironman 70.3 Florida on May 18th and Ironman Lake Placid (140.3) on July 20th.

As I had mentioned, I was around 200 poiunds when this started, now I am around 170. The trick with triathlon weightloss is that you need to understand eating correctly, not starving. Heavy duty training makes you hungry for a reason, you need the food. you just do not need cheeseburgers and french fries (well, maybe you earned a few). It is about balance, portion control and patience.

I think I will be a good mentor because I started as that guy! A short, overweight tri beginner who "raced" his first race on a dare and swam the race on his back. From that, i have used patience and a deep desire learn the sport and encourage others to becaome fairly competitive. Additionally, I have raced small races (less than 100) to huge races (Chicago with 8000+) and understand that one is not better, just different. It is a been there done that. I have tried alot of things that have worked, and alot that have not worked. I understand what people are describing to me, because I have done it myself. Lastly, I am very patient, believe that at the end of the day it is about having fun and I am a huge ambassador to the sport.

Edited by gremlin327 2008-05-07 12:59 PM

2008-05-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1372061

Veteran
Subject: RE: Gary Courtney's Group - OPEN
Interested in being mentored by you as I'm heavy, am training for an HIM and IM this year, but after your races so could use your experience.
writers2
2008-05-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1375401

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Absolutelly. Tell me a little about yourself. What races are you doing? What distances have you done? I see per your log you were scheduled to do the Philly Tri in 2006, did you do it? That was THE race that re-motivated me!

Edited by gremlin327 2008-05-01 1:17 PM
2008-05-01 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1375608

id like to join you group as well i am completely new to this i weigh about 225 but i am 6'4. i used to weigh 233 but have been  working out about three times a week mainly running and swimming. i am planning on doing the muddy buddy  in san jose, but first i also plan to run the bay to breakers, in may it is a 10 k.
2008-05-01 7:44 PM

Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - OPEN
HI1 Iam interested in joining your group if you still have room.im 6'3" 240 was 275,been biking and dieting with some half hearted workouts.joined the local healthclub tri 101 but would love more info and support and a place to talk with other fairly newbies.46 years old and signed up for sprint on 6/22 thanks,steve
2008-05-01 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1376280

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Welcome to the group Primer. I think a 10k is a great way to start. I reccomend you put the races in your race log, they feel more real that way. I always find it painful to have to delete a race from my log. Helps me stay motivated. Do you have a plan for the 10k? A few pieces of advice I received from track coaches I work with and talk to is 1: set a goal for the race (to finish, a time, a friend you want to beat, whatever) and 2: to make sure every workout has a reason, not mileage for the sake of mileage. Is is a long slow run for endurance, a tempo run to increase VO2 Max or a speedworkout and 3: log everything! (if you notice my logs, I write verything down; mileage, time, hr, cadence, how I am feeling, what time of day, if it is hot).

2008-05-01 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1376674

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
A sprint on 6/22, fantastic. Signing up for the first race is key. So you have about 6 weeks. It sounds like you are biking, but make sure you spend about even time running. Also, for the first tri, spend at least 1 session/week in the pool. Even if it is only a few hundred yards, you need to get used to swimming. As I mentioned in my write up, I WAY underestimated the swim and spent the entire race on my back, which, is OK. However, it can be avoided. Most people spend a portion of their first race either on their back or breast stroking. With time, you will learn to like the swim, I personally love it, it relaxes me.
2008-05-02 11:44 AM

User image

San Antonio TX/Sacramento CA
I would like to join your group. I am not really a newbie and have been doing tri off and on for about 7 years. I have RA so have had to take time off here and there. I am a BOP (well actually a LOP) but last year finished 3 Oly and a couple sprints. I would like to learn to get to the middle of the pack. It looks like you know how to get faster. I am a 40 yo single mom with a full time job, wonderful boyfriend (currently 1700 miles away) gazillion pets and qualify (but don't race) Athena. My RA sometimes makes my training sporatic, wait - let me rephrase that, sometimes i like to use my RA as a internal excuse for slacking on my training. My life is busy and so it is hard for me to meet up with my tri buddies to train, just squeeze it in where I can, and I was hoping a on-line mentor and support grtoup muight just be what I need. I am in the process of trying to move back to California, so have been tentative about signing up for races, the move is taking longer than I thought, I was hoping to do Pacific Grove, but now I am unsure when I will be home, so am working wihtout a goal......
2008-05-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1377966

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Welcome to the group! I took a look at the races you have logged, that is a great start. Looks lke you are a pretty good swimmer, have a good bike base and can run. That is a huge start! I totally understand the indecision of whee you are going to live, I am going through that now myself. I will post after this my general thoughts on swim-bike-run improvement. For you specifically, I understand that signing up for a tri is tough because of not knowing where you are going to live. However, maybe sign up for a local 5k/10k. Often times you can show up day of because other than HUGE marathons, they never sell out (I almost NEVER pre-register for running races). This gives you a goal, something to train for and may help get some enjoyment into the running (I saw some of your comments about the runs during your races). The single most difficult thing to do for later in lifers (those of us starting triathlon in our mid to late 30's) is running after the bike. So, get used to just running a race. 5k's are cheap, quick and you still get the t-shirt.
2008-05-02 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Gnu's advice on getting faster. While I am not the fastest guy in the world, I do work with alot of people who are very fast. Remember, those who can, do, those who can't, teach...

Swim:
So, I used to think swimming was just getting into the water and flapping around for as long as I could. 500-1000-3000 yards, whatever, until I got bored. The I started working with some coaches and discovered something I had not thought of... If I want to get fast in the water, I have to swim fast in practice! Granted, if you are doing an Oly/Half IM/Full IM you will need to go out and make sure you can swim the distance, but NOT in every swim. If you can, swim at least 2 X's /week. 1 long swim (however long you can swim, but work your way up to at least the distance, possibly double (unless it is a full IM) of your goal race. in the other swim, do drills. I reccomend:

Warm-up:
Swim a few hundred yards freestyle

Then do 2 of these, mixing them up:
Kickboard:
Most public pools have kickboards, or you can pick one up for like $10. Swim a few hundred with the kickboard. Use fins if you have them. This builds your legs and teaches you to kick properly (from your hips, NOT your knees). In Tri, kicking is generally not used to propel you in the water like a swimmer, but to encourage rotation and balance.

Pull Buoy:
That foam thing you put between your legs. Swim a few hundred with this. It helps you learn to breath controlled and build your arms without having to worry about what to do with your legs.

Intervals:
Just like running, in order to swim faster, you HAVE to swim faster! Depending on your speed and endurance, do 2 - 5 100 yard intervals on 3 minutes. What I mean is this...
Look at the clock (or your watch)... wait until the second hand is at 12 and go. Swim AS FAST AS YOU CAN for 100 yards, then look at the clock. The amount of rest you get, is the number of seconds it takes it to get back to 12, then repeat.

EX... You start swim at 12PM EXACTLY. You swim the 100 yards in 2:30 (it is now 12:02:30. you get 30 seconds rest (it is now 12:03), then do it again. This time it takes 2:40, you get 20 second rest, etc...

If 100 yards is too far, start with 50 yard intervals on 2 minutes. Once you are resting over a minute, cut it down to 2 minute spilts.

Then, cool down 100 - 200 yards, sloooowwwww, it is a cool down.

The entire swim session should take 30 min max. generally with swimming it takes longer to get to the pool than work out. As you build endurance and speed, you can spend longer there. If there is ANY way to get in an open water swim once in a while, do it, it really helps. However, Never swim in open water alone, and do not swim in open water until you are comfortable or all you will do is scare yourself away from open water swimming.

More to come on the bike and run...
2008-05-02 2:26 PM

Veteran
Hi sorry,
I didn't read your question. I normally dont' enter the logs here because I do so on Training Peaks that my coach looks at.
Last year I did only sprints and longggg charity bike rides, half mary.
The year before a HIM, Oly (Philly Tri) and sprints.
This year, Eagleman on June 8th, Broad Street Run this Sunday (10 miles), Philly Women's Tri July 13th (sprint), NJ State Triathlon (Oly) MS 150 but am doing 175, ocean races and Ironman Florida November 1st.
Hope that helps.
Rhonda

2008-05-02 3:30 PM

User image

If you have room I would love to join in as well.

Hi, my name is Jen and I am 34 years old. My husband and I are training for our 1st triathlon. We are signed up for a sprint on 6/8.

Here is a little background on me. I have participated in team sports my entire life and then in college dabbled with running a little bit (trying to avoid the freshman 15). Running doesn't come naturally to me but I have learned that with hard work you can accomplish most of your goals. I'm not in danger of winning any races but running has given me confidence and helped make me a better person.

This winter we committed to doing a triathlon. We have raced in a few 5Ks. We like to bike. I had one little problem to overcome......I am scared to death of water! I signed up for adult swim lessons (beginner version) at our local YMCA and I'm now swimming (slowly) without too much fear. I think I'll be ok for our race in June but I did get frustrated last week. I took a watch to the pool and found out at the pace I am swimming I'll be one of the last ones out of the water. BUMMER!!!! Oh well, I'm going to take this in baby steps. I just want to make it through!

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-05-09 12:18 PM
2008-05-02 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
um, still got room for a newbie?  i can relate pretty well to your situation, i've always been active but never made the full jump into something this intense before.  i have always been a runner but only returned to it in the last year since having a hiatus (having kids!), and i was a swimmer in h.s.  so i need direction on tir in general and definitely BIKING!!  i'm clueless!  anyways, hope you can take another person on !
2008-05-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1378674

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Absolutelly, WOuld love to have you join the group. WIll take a look at your logs tomorrow. Welcome jhinrichs11, Nicole939 and Khristine.

Edited by gremlin327 2008-05-02 7:52 PM
2008-05-02 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
ahhh many thanks!  now i feel better!  LOL  i literally just started my log today so it's not real informative at this point.  but i am a regular 3-5 mi runner, and think i can get back into the swing of swimming without too much trouble.  now biking is another story!!  as long as it isn't t-storming tomorrow i'm going to try my first real bike ride ever.  should be good for a laugh!
2008-05-03 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi,

My name is Randi and I am happily married to my husband now for almost 15 years.  I have been training since October for my first sprint triathlon in July but right now I am sidelined with runner's knee which started bothering me about a month ago.  I am starting 6 weeks of physical therapy on Tuesday and hope that I am able to get back to my training fairly quickly.  I was never physically active in my life but volunteered last year at the triathlon I am registered to participate in this summer and came away so inspired that I decided to give it a try.  I have been following Weight Watchers now for about 3 years and lost and kept off 30lbs. I still have another 30 to lose but they just don't seem to want to go.   I am just happy to be maintaining at this point. I used to hate to exercise but the triathlon training has given me a true purpose and love for it.  My husband is also registered for the triathlon.  We are both looking forward to just participating.  Our goal is to just enjoy ourselves and finish.

I hope you still have room for another newbie. I joined a mentor group over the winter and got a lot out of it and hope to get more out of this go around.

2008-05-03 7:04 PM

User image

Maryland
Hi, I'm interested in joining the group if you still have room.

I am planning to do a mini-tri in June, just to see how everything goes and get my feet wet, and then a sprint tri in July. I come from a running background and have run 5Ks and 10Ks. I was training for a half-marathon last fall, using a plan that called for cross training and naturally, I chose cycling and swimming as cross training. Meanwhile, I stumbled into a multisport forum on a bulletin board and then began reading someone's blog. I was fascinated and read every post in the blog. Not too much later, I was traveling on business and going out for a run and stumbled on the start of a triathlon. I thought it was a sign. Then, I volunteered at an all-woman triathlon.

I never made it to the starting line of the half-mrathon because I got injured. It took me a while to rebuild, but in doing so, I slowly began building a base in all three sports over the winter. I also joined a master's swim team, and am enjoying my first foray into swimming since the high school swim team. Not coincidentally, there are a lot of triathletes on the team.

I keep my training log on running2win, but I can start one here. As far as mentoring goes, I'm hoping to gain encouragement and reassurance that I'm on track with training.
2008-05-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1379628

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Welcome to the group Randi. Runners knee, that is a bummer. While training for my first marathon back in Feb I started have a ton of problems with my IT bands, it is a bummer. I reccomend talking with your PT and go over a stretching routine (many knee problems stem from not stretching enough) and figuring out a way to ramp back up your training slowly. I was convinced to start Yoga by a guy that I mnet after the marathon (as I was limping around holding my knees) and I believe it is one of the best things I have done. In the pool focus on using the pull buoy, that way you do not stress your knees but get the upper body workout, muscle endurance and get used to breathing. Aqua jogging and eliptical trainers also give you a very similiar workout to running without the knee stress.

I see your race is in July, so you have plenty of time to rest a little, focus on biking and swimming and work the running back in.
2008-05-04 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1380055

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Yay!, another runner convert. Starting with a mini then doing a sprint is a wise choice. I am continuously amazed how many people start with an Oly. As I am not a natural runner, I think your running background will help alot. The biggest challenge with Tri is overuse injuries, generally from the running. While you can get overuse from swimming, most recreational triahtletes do not swim enough to have that happen (heck, most barely swim enough to finish a race). Same with the bike, you would have to ride several hundred or tousand miles a month to get overuse on the bike, which simply takes too long.

Great job joining a master swim club, that will get you to the pool at least once, possibly a few times/week. Like you, I jhave learned to like the swim, it relaxes me.

Welcome to the group, I will take a look at your logs.
2008-05-04 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Got room for 1 more? My name is Will and I'm 6' 2" 175 lbs. I've been training for about a month for my first tri (a sprint) at the end of June. I ran cross country and track in high school, but I haven't done any regular training over 5k in quite some time. I work as an ocean rescue lifeguard in NC so I'm very confident with my OWS ability, although not very fast in a pool. I can avg a little under 2 min/100m so I'd say I'm avg. Totally new to biking but I just purchased a new bike about a week ago and have put on about 100 mi since then. Focusing a lot of my time on the bike trying to get some base miles in. I used the training log for a while last month but got so busy with school and work that I stopped using it, I've resumed using it as of May 1st. I plan on doing 2 sprints and possibly and OLY this year along with a half mary. I would like to do a HIM within the next year and a half. Well thats enough about myself. I find that I stay more motivated when I'm in a group where I will be pushed, so here I am.
2008-05-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1380482

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
absolutelly Will, welcome. If I can help on antything, it is the bike. I will take a look at your logs. PS - If you are comfortable with OWS but not pools, you are WAY ahead of many. Most tri's are not in pools, so that is good for you.

2008-05-04 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1380401

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks Gary!  I will definitely talk to the PT when I meet him/her for the first time on Tuesday about the triathlon training and stretching routine.  I absolutely love yoga but just need to make sure I am finding the time to do it again. I had gotten out of the habit and am pretty sure that it did not help matters with my knee. I have plantar fasciitis and the yoga and stretching had been helping. I actually know exactly which run I hurt my knee on. I was on the treadmill and my orthotic in my left sneaker was slipping and irritating my arch. I had stopped a couple of times to adjust it and just wanted to finish my workout so I did not stop again.    I guess I must have rolled my foot to the outside and that is what torqued my knee.  I was actually getting ready to head to the running store to get fitted for new sneakers around the time this happened.  Now, I am waiting for the knee to be better so I can get properly fitted.  I had been in so much pain that even swimming hurt but am feeling a bit better since I have not done anything except normal day-to-day walking.  I was planning to get in the pool and swim some and will definitely try out the pull buoy.  I have tried aqua jogging but spend more time trying not to drown. I will have to use one of the waist belts when I try it next time.      I will also ask the PT about the elliptical trainer and hope he/she okays it.

One inspiring thing is that my older son's baseball coach is a triathlete who is part of a fundraising triathlon team.  We are going to be joining the team to help raise money for research to help a local boy who has Duchenne's muscular dystrophy but we will get free training support and group rides and runs matched with others at the same level as us.  It is great to be able to compete in the triathlon but also to do it for a greater purpose trying to raise money with lots of other people to save this little boy's life and other little boys like him. 

2008-05-05 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
I am going to post general tips and advice in this column, but I am also going to switch to individual logs under "Inspire Me", that way this does not get crowded.

I definitelly reccomend you all update your logs not only with your workouts, but also your races. Also, when you complete a race, update the race information that week. Put in comments about what went well, what went wrong, did you hydrate, what did you eat, etc... These are things that will help you in future races, the little things you forget. When I joined BT, I went back and put in all my old races. I find it a great database to remember races that I otherwise would have forgotten about.
2008-05-05 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
thanks gary!  appreciate the input and support!
2008-05-06 8:14 AM

User image

Quad Cities

Any room for one more? I'll add my info if there's room

Thanks!

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13