Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-07-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1569244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Let me know for sure when you will be coming up and we can definitely plan to meet, even if I drive down to Philly.  

2008-07-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1372061

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry to hear about your wife Mike.  Seven surgeries?  That's just brutal.  I hope things get fixed up for good this time.

I'm with Randi on the no OWS in November thing.  I'll spot you from the shore if you'd like.   Will you be in C-bus in Nov? 

2008-07-30 3:32 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Yeah I will be at the Shoe in Nov for the Michigan game.

It is eye surgury and should be the last one for quite a while.
2008-08-02 7:29 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well I had the ride of a lifetime today. At least it felt like a lifetime. I stupidly decided to do my first century without adequate training. And decided to do it on a course with 4600 feet of climbing. If I can walk tomorrow it will be miracle.
2008-08-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1578240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Wow,  that is some undertaking.  Make sure you stretch really well and hope you are not too sore tomorrow.

2008-08-03 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Ewww, that doesn't sound like much fun Mike.  I cannot fathom a century; I haven't even gotten up to 20 miles yet!

Today I did the Cleveland Triathlon as part of a relay.  It was only the super-sprint race (as I could not talk my reluctant cyclist into the sprint distance).  So it was 300m swim, 8 mi bike, 1.5 mi run.  I did the swim.  Let me tell ya I never would have thought I would be treading water in Lake Erie at 6:50 am in my life.  The 6 ft. strands of seaweed (lake weed?) wrapping around my legs was a nice touch.  One thing that was wicked cool:  watching the sun rise as you swim a race! 

Anyways, I can't believe it but we WON!  We beat the other coed teams and the all male team, by a solid 10 minutes!  Ha!  My teammates had never raced before, but they are both in good shape.  So it was a good time.   

2008-08-04 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

OK,   wow, do I suck!!  I have not been on this board in a while, but I am VERY excited that we have had a few people pop back in.  Awesome job to everybody that has been doing races, that is soo exciting.  Nice job Nichole on the WIN!!!  Mike, I have heard about what an awesome job you did on that century ride.  You also forgot to mention it was like 100 degrees and it started raining yes?  Always fun.

Well, I will make sure I am more diligent.  The wedding is no excuse not to post.  Great to hear everybody is still out busting it.

Gnu

2008-08-04 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Great job Nichole. Sounds like it was a memorable experience. I was thinking about doing a relay. Here is my team setup Shaun swims, Gary you have to bike, then Jeff can run. I will manage. Do I still get a medal when you guys win it?

I am in the typical freak out mode about my race. I cannot make the swim right now. I have over a month to get to that point. Can I make it? I am going to be swimming my butt off until then.

But I have a history going of not being prepared and diving in so to heck with it. I don't care about speed on the swim. I just want to be able to swim the entire distance.
2008-08-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1579928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Mike,  please just be sure you are ready for your swim.  We had an eye-opening experience at my first triathlon last weekend. Not to be a person of doom and gloom but a man in my husband's swim wave drowned during the race and no one saw him despite the 24 lifeguards in kayaks and other support person.  I do not fault the race directors in any way and never did feel unsafe in the water. They did not even know he was missing until almost 4 hrs later. We don't know what caused his drowing but since he was a first-timer there is speculation that he was not prepared for the swim.  He was an avid cyclist and reportedly in good health.  The autopsy showed no signs of trauma or health problems. Whether he died because of his lack of experience or preparation, we will never know.  It just makes us know that we have to do everything in our powers to make sure we are as prepared as we can be.  This is why I decided not to do an ocean swim as my second ever triathlon and chose a sprint tri that is brand new and has lots of turns on the bike ride just so that I can swim in a lake - something that I have done before but also know that for this upcoming lake,  it is narrow and shallow along the edges so one could stand up if necessary.

Again, I don't bring this up to be a doom and gloom type person, but I am having a hard time dealing with the whole thing in that it could have just as easily been my husband or me. And for it to happen at an event with such incredible support in the water,  I believe that it can happen anywhere to anyone.  Bottom line, make sure you are as ready as you can be for anything you take on.

2008-08-05 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Preperation is key to the swim.  That said, if you can swim 500 yards, you can swim 1500.  The key to the swim is smooth, efficient form and not freaking out in the first 200 yards.  Keep up your laps in the pool, but also come out and do an open water.  Maybe one of these Thursday's we all go for an open water swim on the Causeway instead of running.   We get you, me, Jeff, Shaun, Bridget and maybe a few others and we will have plenty of people.  Stick together as a group and simulate a race situation. 

Right now they are having a touch of an algae problem, but when that subsides we can do it.  We will take it easy and go over some things.  Maybe do a transition clinic also and share secrets. 

We need to get you comfy and confident, that is key.  I am more worried about that than your fitness.

Gnu

2008-08-05 4:31 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Thanks for the concern Randi. I think if I had my race tomorrow I could finish the swim. The main problem is that I am so freaking competitive that just finishing is not enough. I know I am not going to go out and do Great at my first race at this distance but I don't want to suck either.

I am going to dedicate myself to swimming better between now and 9-21. I would love to do a group swim with the Tampa Mafia. I think that would be great some time in early to mid Sept.

Shaun will have recovered from Kentucky and it would help me out a lot. I am pretty confient with the bike and would like to get a lot of miles on my legs between now and then but overall I feel pretty good.

And about Thursday this week I am pretty sure I can be there. Have to see how things pan out with work over the next few days.

Mike

2008-08-05 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Cool.  Let's plan on a swim, even if it is not a thursday, we wil schedule something.  I will not be able to make it this Thursday.  I found out today that I have to go to New York for some of the wedding stuff.  Training is going to be a luxury over the next 6 weeks.  Gonna get in what I can, but have to focus on the wedding.

2008-08-05 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1583937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hey Gary,  I am in NJ.  Where and when are you going to be in NY? I will actually be in New York City with my son on Thursday if you are going into the city and have some free time.   He and I are going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (his request) but are not on a set schedule. I will send you a private message with my home number and cell phone.  Call me if you want to try to get together.

2008-08-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1583727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

No problem Mike. I am just approaching triathlons with a bit of caution now.  I had heard about deaths in triathlons but never thought it would happen at my first one. The death was a big eye-opener to the risks we do take but accept those risks because I could just as easily die sitting in my living room or drying around town.   On a side note to this,  I received the newsletter from CGI who ran the NJ State Triathlon and there was an amazing article about John Hobgood (the man who died) and how many of his friends and Larry and Michele (CGI) finished the triathlon in John's memory and are raising money for charitable causes in John's name. It was very touching and I very much look forward to being part of the 2009 NJ State Triathlon.

I do understand about your competitive nature. I was never competitive but I did get a taste of it during the triathlon and can only see it getting worse now that I have completed the first one.

Wish I could join you on your group swim! 

Edited by Fechter99 2008-08-05 7:56 PM
2008-08-07 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Well guys, I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so I'll be MIA for a while.  Heading down to Myrtle Beach SC for all of next week, plus a few extra days.  Should be good stuff, I'm looking forward to running on the beach!  Won't take my bike but found a place that will rent road bikes so I might do that just for fun. 

Good luck with training and races everyone!! 

2008-08-07 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1588713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Nichole, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.  Sounds good about renting a road bike vs having to bring yours and worry about where to store it.

2008-08-07 9:54 PM

User image

Mike, I think you will appreciate this....after all you did put the idea in my head.

Today my husband and I rode our first century. 101.5 miles to be exact! I'm not sure any amount of training can prepare you for your first century ride.

I haven't run a marathon but I have heard that the last 6 miles of a marathon are grueling and exponentially worse than the first 20 miles. Well, I can honestly say now that that the same theory holds true for century bike rides. The last ten miles SUCK!!! It was so strange. I had just commented to my husband a mere 2 miles earlier (mile 88) that it was amazing that we were still going strong. Then by mile 92, I thought I was going to throw up! The last 10 miles I changed my goal of finishing strong to simply holding on, moving forward and hopefully staying upright! It was a strange kind of out of body floaty like feeling. I'm glad I made it home.

I'm doing pretty good now...just really tired. I bet I am going to be starving tomorrow because my appetite hasn't fully returned yet.

I'm hoping to squeeze in an OWS tomorrow - if I can move!!!
2008-08-11 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Nice job on the Century!  I think it is so mental.  How many times have all of us Bonked after the statement "I cannot believe I feel this good at..."  That said, the last 6 miles of the marathon are beyond exponentially harder.  that is a very mental point. 

Once your quads start recovering you will be amazed at how hungry you will become.  The trick is to not keep eating that much in weeks you do not do a century ride.  I will let you know how to do that if I can stop gaining weight, up like 8 pounds since I finished the IM :-)

2008-08-11 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1594784

User image

I can't fathom how one can run a marathon after riding 112 miles. Are you kidding me!!!! You IM finishers are my heros!

Speaking of gaining weight, I'm trying to figure out how I can be training the amount that I am and actually gain weight. My hubby is down about 15 lbs since we started training in Jan and I think I am +5 and I don't like it much! I think I would run better if I was 5lbs lighter.

I really have no idea how much I should be eating. It seems like if I follow general guidlines for someone my age, weight, height and activity level that I am eating way too much and the lbs start creeping on. I've dabbled in logging everything but I get lazy, particularly on the weekend. I want to eat enough to support my training but I wasn't counting on gaining. I'm thinking of getting my BMR tested so I can figure this thing out!

But enough about me, how's the celebrity wedding planning coming along?

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-08-11 10:13 PM
2008-08-12 6:51 AM

User image

Maryland
Nicole,

Have a great time in Myrtle Beach! I was down there with my family earlier this summer, and it was our second time there. I think Myrtle Beach is absolutely the best beach because the waves are calm and the water is warm.

Enjoy!

Susan
2008-08-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1596142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

jhinrichs11 - 2008-08-11 11:11 PM I can't fathom how one can run a marathon after riding 112 miles. Are you kidding me!!!! You IM finishers are my heros!

I was thinking this very same thing!  I won't say that I will never do an IM because about 18months ago I was swearing I would never do a triathlon and look where I am now but I just cannot imagine being able to physically do that distance. 

QUOTE]Speaking of gaining weight, I'm trying to figure out how I can be training the amount that I am and actually gain weight. My hubby is down about 15 lbs since we started training in Jan and I think I am +5 and I don't like it much! I think I would run better if I was 5lbs lighter. I really have no idea how much I should be eating. It seems like if I follow general guidlines for someone my age, weight, height and activity level that I am eating way too much and the lbs start creeping on. I've dabbled in logging everything but I get lazy, particularly on the weekend. I want to eat enough to support my training but I wasn't counting on gaining. I'm thinking of getting my BMR tested so I can figure this thing out! But enough about me, how's the celebrity wedding planning coming along?

This is the story of my life.  I have been on weight watchers for close to 3 years.  My first year I lost 20 lbs and then it took me another year to lose 10lbs. I started training in October and am up 8lbs.   I have another 30-40lbs to lose which seems daunting at the moment.   I don't even think that when I was sidelined with my knee injury in April/May and couldn't work out at all mattered any since I did curtail my eating.  I have tracked my calories/fat/protein and even wore my HRM all day for a few days and found that I was not consuming enough calories. (only eating about 1200 but burning close to 2200 especially on days I was working)  Problem is that I was and still am not hungry most of the time and eating to eat goes against all the weight watchers teaches you.  You would think that with a 1000 calorie deficit I would be losing weight but I am not. I cannot even say that I am losing inches because that is not happening either.

I have debated having the BMR done and they will do it at my local Y, I just have not been able to schedule it.  One thing someone told me about my training is that I am probably working out at too high a level (aerobic vs fat burning).  Yes, I do have to work out longer to burn the same number of calories but from what I understand,  and that is limited, I will be burning fat during that workout rather than depleting my stored glycogen.

Hey, maybe we can figure it out together but if you really only have a little bit to lose, it is definitely harder to lose that weight.  Is it possible you have converted it to muscle and added muscle?   And just to say this,  muscle does not weigh more than fat is just takes up less space so maybe you put on 5lbs of muscle, not fat.  Have you noticed your clothes fit better or different?

2008-08-12 7:58 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Congrats on the century. It is such a great feeling to accomplish a goal. I love it. I was out of town for about a week but I am back. I did a long swim and am making progress there so I am not quite freaking out as bad. Going to hit the pool again tonight. Good luck to all.
2008-08-17 11:24 AM

User image

My Xterra wetsuit (sleeveless Vector 2) arrived Thursday. We did an OWS on Thursday evening and it was great. Very bouyant & much more tolerable in relatively warm (approx 80 degree) water. I'm feeling much better about the race next weekend. As long as the water temp isn't too high I think I'll make it through the swim this time around!

2008-08-21 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Hello all!  Made it back from vacation so I'm getting myself back on track.

Congrats on the century!  Man I feel like a slacker, 2 from our group have done a century and I have yet to go past 14 miles!  Glad you got the wetsuit, I know you'll make it through!

Vacation was nice, got to take a few runs on the beach.  Didn't end up  having time for renting a bike though.  So now I'm in crunch time til my last planned race (9/7).  And a little erked b/c my pool is shutting down 9/1 for 3 weeks.  I haven't had a very good training month, so I'll have to accept that this is just another race for the experience, not for any real improvement.

I've gotten a few folks at work into the tri thing, so that's cool.  Nice to have others to do it with. 

2008-08-21 12:45 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Hey guys. I have been away for a few weeks with a ton of work going on here. This storm or what they called a storm put us all on alert at the PD and I had to work a couple 24 hour shifts. But I was thinking if you work three straight 24 hour shifts isnt it more like a 72 hour shift? Anyway I have like 123 hours of overtime or something on my next paycheck. Uncle Sam is going to have a field day with that one.

But I did manage a few runs that I have to log and the best swim of my life last night when I got of work. I knocked out 1200 continuous yards. I more than doubled my previous best and surprisingly it felt good. I felt like I could keep going. Of course I did have to switch to a recovery stroke of either breast stroke or back stroke but I never stopped.

That is exactly the boost of confidence I needed for my race next month. I am going to go swim again tonight and I am actually looking forward to it. Hope all is well with everyone. I am taking about a week off from the PD and my other job can handle itself for a little while so I am hoping to knock out some long runs and swims this week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13