Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 51s
Overall Rank = 3/343
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 at Marc's house and started getting ready. Couldn't find any bread for my normal PB toast B-fast, so I had Oatmeal with PB in it. Yummy!! We headed out about 5:15 and stopped to get me some coffee. Marc drove so I dozed in the back seat. It's always good to have a chaufeur to a race.

Got there and found the bathroom because the coffee had done it's job. Went to get my chip and get body marked. Had a handful of people from the Transition clinic ask me some follow-up questions and then just chatted with people.
Event warmup:

As normal, the time before a race goes by FAST. I took my bike out for a quick spin and realized that my magnet was a bit off and I wasn't getting a speed reading. Even though I don't use it for racing, it's good for data analyzing later. I went over to the A3S tent and adjusted it. Good to go.

I was going to go for a quick run but then decided not to. Oh well, guess I'm starting cold. Combine this with the decision to not wear my wetsuit and I DID start cold! I wanted to prep for St. Croix, which is not wetsuit legal but I forgot that it's a LOT warmer there. I waited until the last minute to get in the water and was off.
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since everyone was hanging out to the right by the kid channel marker, I decided to swim out to the left and take a straight line to the buoy. It took me a bit to get rolling and I never really ramped it up. I kept consistant and focused on stretching out vice going fast. This meant that I really didn't start moving up in the pack until after the first buoy. I got there just fine, but after I rounded it, found some of the previous wave. As I took a breath to my left, a foot found my rib cage. I failed to notice the guy to my right deciding to breast stroke to site. That hurt! He stayed with me for about 2 strokes and then I never saw him again. I seemed to be swimming all by myself. I swear I showered...but no love for Dan on the swim.

After the last buoy, I tracked fairly well and picked it up a bit by really working my pull. I swam until my hand touched the ground and then stood up. I swam by at least two people that were wading in chest deep water. Swim as far as you can...that's my motto.
What would you do differently?:

I would have worn my BT issued Black Pearl (AARRGGHHH). The run up the bank was long enough to get it off and the temperature was cold enough that it would have helped.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

My bike was right next to the swim entrance, so that was good. I had a bit of trouble putting on my socks. Yes..SOCKS. Deal with it! Helmet and glasses were on and I was off. As I approached the last racks, a guy decided that he was going to make a wide exit. I, in a not so nice tone said, "Coming through". I have no idea who has the right of way there...must ponder on that one. He froze, so I won!

I saw an A3S uniform leaving Transition as I was running, so I now had a mark to go after. I thought it was Klepacz so I was really excited that I was so close....So I thought....

Jumped on the bike and waited until after the speed bump to put my feet into my shoes. Had a bit of trouble, but only cost me a couple of seconds.

Nothing. Overall, a good transition.
Bike
  • 28m 27s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 24.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I shot out of the gate and hit the bike hard. I knew that I would have to push the bike in order to get in front of the other A3S guy because he can run. I focused on my cadence the entire time because speed takes care of itself. As the bike went on, I slowly reeled in the A3S guy. There was a nasty hill at mile 4 as I pulled up alongside who I though was Klepacz. I attacked the hill and dropped him like a bad habit.

Now I knew that I had to keep the pressure on and get out front. I saw some other bikes and tracked them down. I took the corners wide so that I could minimize my speed losses. This would come to bite me soon...

I took note of the mile markers and just kept consistant with my cadence. I stayed in the saddle for all of the climbs save the one at mile 4. Gear changes were occuring all the time.

I saw the 10 mile marker and knew that the finish was close. For some reason, I thought that we were going to come back in the same side as we left from the long road to Transition. I come upon the last turn and came in HOT!! As I lean into the turn, I notice ahead of me that two cyclist are coming the other way. I'm like WTF?! I'm in Aero doing mid to high 20's and in a serious lean. I don't even remember, but I locked up my disc and just knew that I was going to have to decide between laying the bike down and running into these two guys.

I feel my disc slide and skid at least a foot to my left and I fought to get myself centered. Next thing I know, I picked up the rear of the bike while correcting my angle and luckily it tracked straight. I released my rear brake, took a solid pedal stroke and caught some traction. My HR had to have spiked at least 10 beat in that 3 seconds. I even managed to stay on my side of the yellow line!! You should have seen the look in those two guys' eyes. They were more scared than I was...and I was scared!

I used the adrenaline to really push the last part of the race course. I waited until I saw the mount/dismount line before I came out of my shoes. I leaned the bike over and just as I approached the line jumped off and I was moving. One of my better dismounts.

Know the course and be a bit less aggressive on the corners.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

When I took my helmet off, my glasses came off too. It threw off my flow but only cost me a couple of seconds (you'll see how seconds count later). Put my shoes on grabbed my hat and belt and I was off.

I saw Marc coming in off the bike as I was running and yelled at him that he had better catch me. He had a strong bike!

Get my glasses to stay on my freaking pin head.
Run
  • 19m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This started off oddly. I got my hat on and was fiddling with my race belt because I had forgotten to unclip it. So as I unclip it, one side slips and then I have to play with it to make it right side up. The first part was on some grass until we got to the "trail/road". As we approach the parking lot, this guy is walking with his Ipod buds in. Him and I are on a collision path and I'm making myself very known. As I get up to him, I put my left hand on his right shoulder to get him to stop and not run me or the guys behind me over. I really hoped he stopped.

I see cones ahead of me so I decided to follow them realizing that I have NO idea where this run course goes. I know...Piss poor planning on my part. After about 100 meters in the parking lot, I decide that the run course is going to take me to the right for some reason. I get about 10 yds off course and I hear a guy behind me say, "This way man". THANKS dude! So I turn around and now see the cone I was suppose to head for.

He and I run side by side for about a half mile and I'm thinking, GREAT just like last week. Someone to push the pace with. Next thing I know...he's gone. Dammit! Now I realize that this course is hilly...not one here or there...but everywhere. I could feel the 8 mile tempo from the day before as it felt like I came to a complete stop at the top of the climbs.

On the dirt road, I tried to stay in the middle because it seemed like the angle was better and the rocks were less pronounced. I could tell that someone was close to me because of the comments from the aid staion people. So it forced me to keep pushing and not get lazy. That's a good thing. As I approach the turnaround, I see Klepacz coming the other way, and I think...huh? Who is behind me running me down like a dog? So much for thinking I was even in the same league with that speedster.

As I turn around on that cruel hill, I see that it's Trey about 40 yds behind me. We slap hands and exchange head bobs. I did the same with two other people right behind him. You're never working too hard to show sportsmanship! As I get to the dirt road, I can hear breathing right behind me. Crap, he caught me. That's ok I think. I will surge and drop him thinking that he is spent from chasing me down. NOPE..didn't work. He surges, I hold. We both now know that it's going to come down to the last 1/4 mile. Oh..did I mention he's in my A/G too...

We cruise down the hill and are literally shoulder to shoulder coming across the lake, neither giving an inch. The last hill comes and he takes off. I try to go with him but my body says.... I'm sorry..when did we do those sprints and track workouts?? Oh...NEVER!! So he beat me by 6 seconds. At least it gave me a chance to smile for my finishing photo. ;P

Nothing. I ran within myself and used this as a good last prep for St. Croix.

At first, I was very upset that I had a slow time. But once the race math gene went away, I realized that I ran 6:14's which was only 2 sec/mile slower than the week before and that was on a dead pan flat course. So I was pleasantly surprised with the effort. Who would have thunk it?! Certainly not me.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line, Congratulated Trey for running me down like a dog and he said he was just getting me back for dropping him like a hot rock at mile 4 on the hill.

Went back on course to cheer on the other finishers and see how my guys performed. They all had good races and I was proud of them.

It's always great to see people be at the end of their rope and then when the get encouraged dig a bit deeper for that final push. Nothing better than having someone come up to you after the race and say you motivated them that last 200 meters of whatever it is.

Good Stuff!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I gave what I had on the day. This was a prep race and I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Event comments:

TTP puts on great races. This was the second one I have done and I was very pleased with the organization. Highly recommended!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 656 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/30
Overall: 0/343
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Inverted Triangle. Counter-clockwise swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:28:27 | 11.5 miles | 24.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/30
Overall: 3/343
Wind: None
Course: Clockwise loop with several road crossings.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:21 | 03.1 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 8/343
Course: Around the lake and then up some large rolling hills to an out and back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-30 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: John Tanner Sprint

2008-04-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1372497

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: John Tanner Sprint
Great RR, Dan, and awesome race.  Hope St. Croix goes as well or better - I believe you'll do it!
2008-04-30 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Great job Dan, minus the near miss of the two cyclist... I would have probably started crying for my life if I was them. However the iPod kid, I would have snached that and threw it in the woods... you're a better man than I.

ok now back to writing final papers, thanks for the distraction

Shanks
2008-04-30 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great Job, Dan.

....more swim pace...cough, cough.....
2008-04-30 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Get your act together Arnett.  You were sloppy all day.  No excuses!!!

Great race! 

2008-04-30 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
BFE

Awesome race Dan! Great RR also!

2008-05-01 10:49 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Dude ... socks?????? C'mon ........ seriously.

Great race all around though, and a fantastic result!

2008-05-01 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Great job Dan!  Excellent times on that course!

Maybe if you get a chance to put down the Pina Coladas in St. Croix, you might want to scope out the course before the race! Wink

2008-05-02 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Great report - As a guy doing the same race for his first tri, it was great reading the report from a different vantage   Good luck in St, Croix...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Sprint Rss Feed