General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-30 5:56 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station
So with the bike aid stations approx every 10 miles, what is the protocol for getting new bottles with gatorade or whatnot? I'll likely start off with a profile bottle on front and either 1 or 2 rear cage bottles. Do they hand out full cage bottles at the stations, or do they hand off bottles of gatorade and you have to fill your own cage bottles?

Then, do I hand off one of my empties (cage bottles or gatorade bottles) on the back as I approach, just chunk it as I'm passing by or what? How does that work?

Thanks for filling me in!!!

2008-04-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1373542

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station

The way it has worked at most every race I have done with bottle exchanges is this.

As you approach the aid station, there is a place to chuck your empties.

Then you hollar out what you want, (G'Ade, Water etc.) There are usually a couple of opportunities to get multiple bottles and they do a flying handoff for what you ask for.

usually, G'Ade supplies tons of green bike bottles and so you get your desired drink in a bike bottle.

Lately though, it seems like G'Ade has been stingy with their bottles and so late race aid stations just hand out plastic squeeze bottles of water and G'Ade. (Luckily with the foil tamper seal removed)

This sorta sucks because the water bottles tend to jump out of the cages, especially when only half full

2008-04-30 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1373562

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station

Pretty much what waterdog said.  The race I did a couple weekends ago gave out cage bottles with water in them or Gatorade in the 20oz bottles (yes, with the foil removed).  I actually found you can smash the 20oz bottles in my cages pretty well and they hold.

So I tossed my watter bottle to the side of the road just before the station (I kind of liked that one, but that's racing, and I knew I was going to get another new one).  This opened up a cage for my new drink of choice.  I don't have an earo bottle yet, but I would fill it when I got the chance, stow the empty in the cage till the next aid station.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station Rss Feed