General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore back, shoes the problem? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-30 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
Hillsboro, Oregon
Subject: Sore back, shoes the problem?

Just finished another good day on the treadmill. But it seems that afterwards I get a soreness on my lower back (right side). Anyways, Im concerned that my shoes might be the reason that Im feeling beat up after a run. Actually it could be several reasons: completely new to being active, a bit on the overweight side, bad form.

So with the shoes, brand new pair of nothing extraordinary. Just something the wife picked up from walmart. Im only using them for my run, so I have only used them about 2 dozen times over the last 2 months. Should I start using them outside of my run to break them in? Should i look at getting a better pair? Or might my sore back be caused by something else? 

2008-04-30 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1373743

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Sore back, shoes the problem?

It's hard to say the shoes are causing backaches.  If you are serious about steadily increasing mileage and increasing speed a trip to the local running store to get video taped.  Video taping will tell if you are neutral, pronate or supinate.  Find a shop that video tapes or you are just guessing at the right shoe. 

Being a little overweight can cause numerous injuries as you go on.  You need some cushioning. 

Back ache could be cused by a weak core.  Abs and back muscles.  Remember to work more then the legs.  The multi sport DE core is good and articles in BT library.   

All that being said people run in all types of foot wear.  Saturday I ran a 5K in salads and did well.  Crocs have been worn in the Boston Mary.   

2008-05-01 1:57 AM

User image

Regular
Hillsboro, Oregon
A lot to chew on. I do want to get better at this sport. I have a meeting at a RunFit store to meet a tri club. I'll see if they do video taping. If I have an unnatural run, is there a way to correct it?
2008-05-01 2:07 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I'm going to go ahead and say if your shoes aren't *the* problem, they certainly aren't helping matters.

Good running shoes are the single most important investment I made in tri's. They made all the difference. Go to a specialty running store and get them to evaluate your stride/walk and your foot. They'll put you in either a neutral shoe (if you're part of that tiny percentage of the population who doesn't roll in when the walk) or a support shoe (if you're in the majority that needs some form of correction because of pronation (rolling in)). Walmart shoes are fine for just kicking about the gym and doing circuits, but I doubt they've got the sort of cushioning and support needed to handle the 3x of your body weight that hits every stride when you run. Yeah, they're expensive, at least $65, although sometimes you can get them on sale when the styles are changing...the most expensive is about $115-125, but that's a top of the line, high support shoe, which might be more than you need (Asics Kayano, Brooks Beast, etc). Most people spend about $75-80, needing mid-range support shoes (like Asics 2130, Brooks Adrenaline, etc) or mid-range neutrals (Asics Landreth etc). A few need motion control shoes, but that's a tiny percentage of the population. Seriously, go to the running store. They'll treat your feet like a NASA exercise, it's great!

Again, it might not be *the* problem with your back right now (because of course, I'm an art historian, not a doctor), but the price of a pair of good running shoes negates the astronomical cost of physiotherapy later from knee injuries and the like.

Welcome to the sport!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore back, shoes the problem? Rss Feed