Running Fit
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 38s
Overall Rank = 146/192
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/22
Pre-race routine:

I rushed through traffic to get there...had to take some back roads because of an accident, but was able to get to the race site with about 25 minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

After checking in...I did a little stretching and jogged a bit (for about 3 minutes). I eyed the competition...trying to find my pace setter.
Run
  • 32m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I need to HTFU big time. I felt fine the first mile, but something in my head told me it was a good idea if I took a break and walked. I was doing ok though...I guess my body and mind just isn't used to the distance yet. I could have gone farther before having to walk.

On a positive note, I was able to out kick and hold off that fast little 10 year old that had been on my heels most of the run. I really kicked it in gear. That girl had no chance!
What would you do differently?:

Run more...I just need to run more. I've spent a significant amount of my training time on swimming and have neglected the run. I've only been averaging 1-2 runs per week. I simply need to run more. I just figured that all of the working out and the race day excitement would help me to finish w/o having to walk. My body probably could have handled it...but my mind wasn't ready.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and some animal crackers, watched the end of the race, and hung around for most of the awards. I even talked to a nice older lady who'd finished 5th in her AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time training...need to run a lot more.

Event comments:

This is a fun little race. It's for a good cause and the volunteers are all very friendly. Also very well organized...everything ran very smoothly. I had a fun time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:38 | 03.11 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/22
Overall: 148/192
Performance: Below average
Course: It was a flat, easy course (for those that had prepared properly for the distance) on a side street.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-30 8:31 PM

Master
Subject: Fit 5K

2008-05-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1373816

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Fit 5K

Races are always good learning experiences. No matter how you do, you should learn at least one big thing from a race. And mental toughness is huge. You knew you could make the distance, but your mind permitted your body to "take a break" before it really needed to. The psychological side of training has been tough for me - it's still really easy to let up and quit or slow down. I think part of it is experience - as you gain more experience not quiting when your mind pops up with "You know, we could walk... or slow down... or go on a picnic...", the less you're tempted to do those things.

There was a recent thread in the Triathlon Talk section of the forum that I was reading -

The Mental Game 

It might help you - a couple of the guys on there are really amazing athletes and have some good tips for the psychology of training and racing.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fit 5K Rss Feed