United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Event warmup:

ran about 1.5 miles just to get warmed up, and see if my brand spankin new shoes would be ok.. yes I know, I broke the golden rule of nothing new.
Run
  • 25m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little unsure of pacing, or if I should even pace, or just go, so I just went. I started out at about 7 min miles, and decided after a half mile I better come up with a number. Around 7:45's felt pretty good, I hovered between 7:30 and about 8:15. My garmin has me at 7:53's, instead of 8:08's, so I realize the course must have been a little long. No biggie, Im still happy with the time. Around 25 was my hope, but I wasnt sure what I could hold on the second so my goal was just to not implode :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.. still learning some pacing, a bit has changed over the winter months, so just using some things right now to learn where I am at.

Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Haha... Im always so disoriented in T1 and T2. Even when I have everything set out nicely, I get turned around. Over a minute for a duathon? haha. Oh well, HOWEVER, this would come back to bite me later...
What would you do differently?:

Get my head in the transition game!
Bike
  • 36m 25s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, was not sure at all what I would hold on the road. Ive only made it out on the roads and off the trainer a handful of times so far this year, and only once for a faster bike ride. So I was happy that I was so close to 20 for a sprint considering my frustration on that trainer with speed workouts over the winter!! I think I could have held 20, I eased up the last mile or two because I wasnt sure if I went to hard and didnt want to lose it on the last run.

It was a little more windy than I was thinking, but I only had to come of aero a couple times for it when it would grab me. However, it was a bit wet out still from the rain last night/yesterday, so I only had one mishap though. Going around a corner, I was going a little too fast and went into oncoming traffic. I wasnt in danger of hitting anyone coming back on the bike, but they didnt like that I was over there (it was only for 5 seconds). While Im not the best bike handler, Im good enough to know that a) I was over gravel, do NOT hit the brakes on gravel, and b) do not lean too far over gravel or your going down. So it was a split second decision to just swing out so far because I was already in the turn when I realized I was on gravel.

Good point was, no women passed me on the bike. I did some passing though, always a good thing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Bad again, but a little quicker with the disoriented T.
Run
  • 24m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, again, I thought my pace was a little bit faster than they had me at according to my Garmin. No biggie, faster than my first 5k, good for me! Coming off the bike I felt slow, but my pace was showing 7:45 so I just tried to hover there. I noticed in the middle I slowed to 8:15, but I recovered after catching that. Not sure how long I was hovering there though.

So again, didnt get passed by any women. Very happy with that. I was able to pass one, and I was had my second to pass in sight. However, she saw this, kept a eye on me, and was able to keep just far enough. with about a mile to go I got her a little closer, and with about a quarter mile to go I thought I may get her. She literally finished 4 seconds in front of me. I beat her run time by almost a minute though.... however, she beat me in transition by over a minute between T1, and T2. Never thought it would come down to transition times!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line, and the girl I was battling with came and shook my hand and said good job. I said you to, and then kind of joke, "man I almost had you!" :) Then of course I get to awards and she was in my age group and therefor first place. They wrote the ages too small for my bad eyes. I had no clue she was in my age group while chasing her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure how much to push. I think I pushed pretty hard, not sure if I could have given it more.

Event comments:

A flat course, but a good indicator of some more times for different distances.

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: loop
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:21
Overall:
Run with bike? Bad
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:36:25 | 12 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: out and back, somewhat of a loop
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: loop
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-03 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Willow Duathon

2008-05-03 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1380121

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: Willow Duathon

Wow, Congrats, Kelly!  You've gotten super fast over your off season!  Cool

Awesome to be collecting hardware to start off the summer.  Way to go!

2008-05-04 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Those are some damn nice times, congratulations on such a nice race!
2008-05-04 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
metro Detroit, MI
I get disoriented in T1 all the time, and get cold from all the sweat.

I whacked a cone where the cops were holding traffic , yelled OH (you know what goes next), thought I was going to go down but didn't and kept on going.
2008-05-04 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Hey Kelly nice job.  Nice Job yesterday.....and that would be me that was just in front of you.  Sorry I just walked away, I was heading back out looking for my dad who should have been right behind me.  Anyway I did have a good time, that's why i shook your hand after you crossed the line, I kept waiting for you to catch me.  Nice Race.
2008-05-04 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1380854

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Shortyy - 2008-05-04 5:25 PM

Hey Kelly nice job.  Nice Job yesterday.....and that would be me that was just in front of you.  Sorry I just walked away, I was heading back out looking for my dad who should have been right behind me.  Anyway I did have a good time, that's why i shook your hand after you crossed the line, I kept waiting for you to catch me.  Nice Race.

Thank you for the explanation, I thought I offended you!!

I'll look for you at the next race and it would be nice to meet.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Willow Duathon Rss Feed