United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 4s
Overall Rank = 227/836
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

Up at a$$ crack o' dawn. Ate peanut butter on a piece of bread and started the 1 hour drive north. Had a Cliff Bar and water along the way too.
Event warmup:

Mostly stretching - achilles was a little tight but feeling pretty good. Other than that I found Cathleen (houston-tri-mama) and said, "hi."
Swim
  • 12m 28s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is my weakest event by far since I don't really do any swim training. Kinda ticked me off about the start. There was 1 orange start bouy out in the water that everyone was supposed to start behind. About 1/2 of us were out there behind the bouy (as directed by the vol in the kayak) treading water. The other half was either still standing in the shallow water or on the beach area. I mention the 1 start bouy b/c there wasn't a second on the shore. So from where I was being told to stay behind to where the other guys were getting a running start on shore there was about about a 10 - 15 yard difference. I don't know why the RD didn't have a 2nd bouy or that everyone had the same opportunity to start. I guess that's what I get for trying to follow the rules.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to train more. Nobody's fault but my own here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Coming in out of the water was a boat ramp. It was a pretty steep concrete slab. Where the ramp started under the water wasn't gradual at all...it just started and I hit the top of my foot on the corner of it as I was coming in. Plus it was covered so badly w/ green slime I felt like one of those cartoon characters running in place...but with out the whimsical music! Was quite amusing actually.

Nothing I could do different. I almost took my bike off the rack w/ out putting on my glasses and bike helmet first. Glad I caught myself.
Bike
  • 42m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Really liked the new bike out there today. Finally getting used to it.

I had a little trouble (I noticed I wasn't the only one) making some of the turns. Too much speed in the corners and the cones that were set up to block off the lanes kept getting knocked over.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

OK - I'm an idiot. But the bike racks weren't marked with arrows showing what side of the rack had what numbers. I ran down the wrong aisle. After I was down to where I thought I should be I noticed these weren't near my numbers. After getting a little disoriented I finally found my row and proceeded. What a frickin' goof!

Pay more attention I guess.
Run
  • 24m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really tentative about my achilles so I tried not to over do it. I kept smaller steps but picked up the cadence a little. It felt awkward but it did OK. I made it through with minimal issues.

Run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched - ate pizza, breakfast taquitos, chicken biscuit sandwich and drank beer. (all this was after the powerade and the vitamin water.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming swimming swimming. I just need to do it. Plain and simple. But having to pay for 2 households right now limits my funds for joining a facility w/ a pool. Soon though, soon.

Event comments:

Lack of a starting point on the swim that was the same for everyone really annoyed me. Not that I would have done any better but this didn't impress me much.

Last updated: 2008-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:28 | 500 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/37
Overall: 0/836
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR tri bottoms
Course: Triangular shaped course. Nice and calm.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:31 | 15 miles | 21.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/37
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Pretty course through the woodlands. Lots of turns and twists and intersections and very small inclines and declines. Was pretty fast though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:35 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/37
Performance: Average
Course: Nice little run - aid stations at every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 8:22 AM

Subject: CB&I Triathlon

2008-05-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1380433

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: CB&I Triathlon

Nice job!  Glad the achilles wasn't an issue.  We will have to figure out OWS training at Twin Lakes.  It's $5 a pop but we could make it a full day with grilling and relaxing! 

Congrats!

2008-05-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1380489

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Glad to finally meet you... you had a good race.  What's next on your race schedule?
2008-05-04 4:43 PM

Veteran
If you were wearing the BT tri gear then I saw you, but did not have a chance to say hello. Also sorry for bumping you in the start of the swim, but I could not find clear water until I rounded the first buoy.

Any day doing a tri is a good day though, so at least we got to race, or as I told the RD go out on the course and do three events.

2008-05-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1380800

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
danintx - 2008-05-04 4:43 PM

If you were wearing the BT tri gear then I saw you, but did not have a chance to say hello.

If you were the one in the BT gear I saw you out on the run course, you looked really strong! You had a great race, and I'm impressed that you did that well on the swim with no training - that is great! Next year check out the OWS practices that CB&I does before the race. I did one and it was really helpful, $5 each to just get in and swim for as long as you'd like. It's too late for this year, but it might help you out next year
2008-05-05 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Great Job! nice RR too....

2008-05-05 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX