50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 08m 49s
Overall Rank = 816/1350
Age Group = 01-39
Age Group Rank = 256/327
Pre-race routine:

Fenway Park warm-up with the Red Sox...

Two dogs, pretzel, popcorn and 1/2 italian sausage...washed it down with 2 Coors Lights. THAT was my meal night before. Carboloading??
Event warmup:

1/2 mile jog with some sprints in the old shipyeard area.
Run
  • 2h 08m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first race at this distance in about 12 years. I have to estimate my first two miles as there was no 1 mile marker and I did not hit my watch until about 2 minutes after the start. As far as a plan goes, I guess it was pretty well executed. My splits were a bit faster than I expected...my race was about 20 minutes faster than I thought it would be so I really cant complain all that much. The hills really took a lot out of me. I am fairly confident that I would have been much faster on a flatter course (NO KIDDING!), my weight just keeps me from powering up the hills. Mile 1 had a nice small hill to start...literally after the start. Miles 2 - 4 were pretty flat and I worked out my pacing for the day. 4 - 9 was a nice assortment of hills but no real issues to speak of. Mile 10 - 11 it began to feel like a distance race and I began to wonder if I went out too fast. Nice downhill into Providence helped. Mile 11 my general energy level began to drop off. I got a bit of energy back for mile 12...my R calf started to cramp slightly on the sprint in. Otherwise the bike training kept my legs fresh throughout. Very happy about how it went.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...stay the hell away from Gatorade.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and G2!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not have a chance to "fully" go to the bathroom. This definately hurt performance. I suppose it would have been better if I did not eat like I was going to the electric chair the night before. Only slept 4 hours last night...this hurt.

Event comments:

First year race...this one has a long way to go. They botched mine and my wife's entry...they had us in the marathon and they spelled our last names wrong. They also screwed up our corperate team and did not bother entering half of the entrants...actually, I seriously think they did not care (I don't mind saying this because I am fairly certain the person I was dealing with was NOT a volunteer). Really upsetting given the fact that I helped the race director with some of the course logistics.

NOT NEARLY ENOUGH WATER ON THE COURSE. I dont think they expected this many people. Not enough bathrooms. The volunteers were great.

Last updated: 2008-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/327
Overall: 0/1350
Performance: Good
1 - 2 - 3 - 9:31 4 - 9:36 5 - 9:51 6 - 9:54 7 - 10:03 8 - 9:30 9 - 10:56 10 - 9:49 11 - 9:31 12 - 10:55 13.1 - 10:51
Course: The rest of the people on BT might have found that somewhat flat but that was HILLY for my pudgy ass! It was nice to run through familiar areas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes