HFP Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 42s
Overall Rank = 162/249
Age Group = Clydesdale 225+
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 in the morning, ate a piece of toast and left to pick up my dad so he could watch the boys
Event warmup:

Only able to swim 100m prior to race because we were there a bit tardy
Swim
  • 09m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This part of the race was really screwed up by HFP. After the first 50 swimmers or so they did not make anyone keep to the order of swim times. I passed 19 people in the pool and even swam underneath one person. I was constantly being slowed down because I would run into people. It ruined the whole swim and killed my time. Overall it added about 90 seconds to what my normal time was last year in longer races.
What would you do differently?:

Kick HFP organizers in the Ass! They really screwed the pooch in the swim. I was far too fresh in the pool. Swim was a non issues because of how slow I had to go. Pool was incredible. OSU facilities are state of the art.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Kind of slow. Forgot my glasses and semi jogged to mount area. Put on two shirts because it was still a bit chilly. Slow getting changed and wiping off feet but wanted to take my time to make sure I did not pick up any gravel

Pick up the pace
Bike
  • 41m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Just could not get in the groove on the bike at all. not sure what my problem was. Legs were heavy and I was steamed from the swim. Should have focused more on the bike. Very very average to a bit below average ride for me. Wind might hav been more of a factor than I am giving it credit for but bike should have been my strong area. Wanted to be faster here.

Not sure. mroe training would have been great but with my heel and knees it is hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Kind of slow here but at least I remembered to double knot my shoes.

Be quicker, sense of urgency
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

IN a weird twist of fate the run was fine. Knee or heel did not bother me at all. Found a lady the after 2/3 of the run and she was struggling so I slowed downa bit to talk her through the race. It was her first race and she was dieing. This made me slow down but I felt good helping someone. Kind of pumped me up a bit. My run time was OK and had I known that was my pace I would not have stopped for her because I think I would have shaved a minute off my run but at the time I had no idea. No biggie

Not stop and help? Psuh more and remember to start my watch to keep track of my times better. Although running is still my biggest challenge.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, met up with my dad and the boys, loaded my stuff and went to the bookstores to let each boy pick out something. Then went to lunch at the Hall of Fame Cafe. YUMMY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, piss poor organization in the pool

Event comments:

Did not stay for anything because I did not want the boys to get bored standing around. HFP screwed the swim up but other than that it was a well organized race. Everything was clear in terms of navigation. Looked for BTers and even asked a few people but I did nto see anyone.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:27 | 437 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 146/249
Performance: Average
Suit: Bike shorts
Course: Seepentine pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:17 | 12.43 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 127/249
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Fairly flat with a few rollers. Coule of turn around areas were on a slight down hill and back uphill. Pretty windy out there but still a beautiful day. Couple of pothole sections but they were clearly marked.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:35 | 03.11 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 203/249
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat with one bridge to cross and come back over. Not much hills to consider
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Ohio State Triathlon

2008-05-04 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1380825

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Ohio State Triathlon
sorry to hear about how the swim went for you. this is the first time i have EVER seen any issue with anything relating to a HFP event. they are by far the best race company i have ever raced with. normally they do open up the starting order for people that were misplaced or need to move up/back, btu only a few do it (for example there was an issue with my reg, so i was given number 276, but i knew if i started there i would have been stuck for the whole swim, so they let me go off at the end of the first 50 (i was the one doing the cannonball in flame shorts and no shirt).

hope you still had a good day out there!

2008-05-04 8:02 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I too am sorry to hear that about the swim... but I do agree that the swim was amazing. I have never felt so good in chlorine in my life! The Race Announcer did state that if you felt that you could swim a faster rate that you should seed yourself appropriately.... Fortunately I was number 32 so I didn't have to really worry about it.

You are amazing in my book! Thank You for running with that new beginner and making her race! You helped her through her race and you absolutely know it. Yeah, So what I had a PR on the race but I would gladly give that to you... That is the point of being a triathlete in my book. You know that your swim cooked your times but you took the time to make sure you helped out your fellow racer... Thank You for that!

I really hope to finally meet a lot of the fellow Buckeyes out on the course this year! Great job not only on your race... supporting your racers!
2008-05-04 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Thanks for the replys guys.  Anyday of racing is a good day.  Normally HFP is great, but today was a very bad start.  I took my spot in line and you really could not understand the announcer very well so I triedlistening for the numbers being called but could not hear anything else.  Really disappointed in them today.  They preached safety but mixing slow and fast swimmers is a safety issue, let alone the inconvenience factor.  Pity it had to happen like that
2008-05-04 11:16 PM

User image

Yeah I agree the swim sucked. I was 262 and I went close to last...and I guess that was appropriate; I was really slow. But yeah, I hated having to wait forever to get in the water. I definitely saw you!!! Very cool, great job!
2008-05-05 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
John!  Nice race.  And really good run, too.  Glad to see you are still doing the tri's.  Going to New Orleans?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ohio State Triathlon Rss Feed