Broad Street Run
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 8s
Overall Rank = 2719/19111
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 363/1490
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cliff bar and banana on the way. Parked and made my way over to the Pattison stop. Waited in line, which moved pretty quickly. Joined thousands, and I mean thousands of runners down on the platform waiting for the train. Made my way to the far end of the platform where the lines were shorter. Got on the first train that came and was on my way to the start. For some reason they weren't running express trains, just locals which made the trip down to Olney take forever. Packed in there pretty good but I had a good spot. After getting off I tried to find the bus to stash my bag. It was nowhere to be found and they were already playing the national anthem. Asked a young girl in one of the buses if I could stash my bag with her since I couldn't find mine. Thankfully she agreed. Gave her my bag and ran down to the start where the 7:00 milers were gathering. The start at Broad Street is notoriously crowded and doesn't thin out for several miles. I jumped in and found a good spot toward the back of the 7:00 crowd.
Event warmup:

Since the train took forever, there wasn't much time for a warm-up, which my knee reminded me about for the first three miles or so. Was in such a rush to get to the start that I totally forgot my Infinit gel I was going to try out today. So, that meant no nutrition. Ugh
Run
  • 1h 18m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Started fast and miraculously was able to keep a strong pace until the last couple of miles. Really excited about my performance today. Pushed myself and held consistent pace throughout much of the race. My calves were starting to cramp and I backed off a bit knowing that I made my goal time almost locked down if I kept a decent pace. Think if I had some nutrition that I might have fought off the calf cramps and would have finished stronger. Set a new PR for 10 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the train earlier so I have time to stretch. Don't forget nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to leave pretty quickly to get a christening party. Made it home in time to shower and leave. My calves are really sore right now so I'm definitely paying for not stretching immediately afterward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe lack of proper in-race nutrition. Maybe should have taken some of the Gatorade instead of just water. Maybe nothing.

Event comments:

They really messed up the trains to the start. Heard there were thousands who missed the actual start because the trains were all locals, stopping at every station along the way. In the past they have had express trains, but not sure why they didn't this year. I know someone who crossed the start line 8-10 mins after the start and he said there were tons of people behind him. That's a big problem.

Last updated: 2008-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:18:08 | 10 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 363/1490
Overall: 2719/19111
Performance: Good
7:35 7:36 7:39 7:39 7:36 7:28 7:48 7:58 8:10 8:14
Course: Broad Street is a downhill course with only a few short inclines. Great run for those who are looking for their first 10 mile run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Subject: Broad Street Run

2008-05-04 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1380878

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Broad Street Run
Beautiful run up Broad St. Rough start with the trains and nutrition but you kept it strong!
2008-05-05 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1380878

User image

Williamstown, NJ
Subject: RE: Broad Street Run
Congrats on the PR! I caught a train at 6:30, and it was an express. My calves are shot right now too.... but they were sore to begin with...

-joe i.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broad Street Run Rss Feed