Regina Multisport Club
8F / -13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 4s
Overall Rank = 32/81
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

Tried to do some things a little differently this time.
Minimized my water intake from the night before. Didn't have coffee. Had a cereal beverage (Postum).
Had some extra protein (cottage cheese) had two slices of rye one with almond butter and blueberry jam and the other with Nutella.
Very little water.

Did some blogging to my BT peeps.
Put my Ipod on and just focused.
First trip and second trip to the bathroom throne (sorry...I'm have to log this...log, get it?)

Drove to the race.
My mind started wandering about a speeding ticket I got yesterday (I may fight it, I wasn't going 65 in a 50 zone. I was going 55 max)
Got mad at myself for losing focus especially because that thought got me angry and had my heart rate increase.

Parked at the site...Was one of the first ones there (other than volunteers at about 6:30.
Got out of the car and helped set up barriers and chalked bike rack numbers and set up the sign-up tables in the University.

Set up my bike and got everything ready.
Third trip to the throne.
Made about 3 trips to pee as well. Still limited my water/drink intake.

Had a Cliff Bar.
Went to the race meeting. Had Ipod in my ears the whole time.
Found my focus.

Had the Western Cycle guy top up my tires.
Nick got a blow out! I think he had a twisted tube that couldn't take the 120psi. The Western guys fixed it, but poor nick was really stressed out about it.
Event warmup:

Took off my warm clothes. But put on my runners (no socks) and went out for a run.
Ran about 500 metres with Nick. Did some Machs and some range of motion excercises that we learned from Brendan and a new arm and core one I learned from Nick. Really loosened me up.
Went for another pee.
Got to the pool and did about 100m Warm Up.
Goggles were leaking...I wasn't happy. But I managed to fix them, although they leaked a little during the race.
These are new ones I bought last week, but have used twice already.
Was the 5th out of 6 people in lane one of first heat.

Swim
  • 16m 17s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

official time. First 150 metres struggled to get my form behind two women who were slowing down. I passed them and almost blew myself up trying to get ahead. Then I started to focus. Breathing was forced. Had a hair hanging from my goggles and they were leaking. Quick fix. I got my mojo...man that was difficult. I lost count of the laps so was swimming blind. But I just kept going. Got more comfortable with every lap. Finally heard the bell lap and just picked it up (hoping that I heard correctly) got out of the water and ran...Yes Ran to transition.
Great swim...all things considered!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster? Declare a faster time (I declared 17 mins) and get pushed by a faster group. Every thing else was according to plan.
My tritop is now too big for me...I realized that it was baggy when it got wet.
And to my horror, the big pockets in the back acted like huge scoops...I tucked the whole thing into my now too big tri shorts too. I felt and looked like Erkel! But it worked, sort of.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Fastest ever swim to bike transition. Time is an estimate.
Sat down to get into shoes. Everything worked well. Ran with bike and bike shoes.
Lost a little control of my bike and twisted the brake, but I quickly fixed it as I ran.
I got out of that transition like a rocket. Perfect transition.

Maybe not sit for the shoes...but I took a little bit of time and it was worth it. I made no mistakes.
Bike
  • 42m 34s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.19 km/hr
Comments:

I rocked. 15th place (according to the messed up race times). Two guys out of the pool that I never even know were out there were ahead of me, I passed everyone already on the course kids of steel. Mark R took a wrong turn and I blew past him. I lapped several of the people in my heat and other people on the course.
Blew past the Ironman age group champion Milos K. yelling "Left". I think I scared him...he couldn't figure out why I was going so fast!!! I just flew. I couldn't understand why Allan Barry (ironman) and Nick and Enyo and George (both Cycling Club experts) were not catching up to me. I kept increasing my distance, especially by standing accelerations out of the turns. By the third lap I just wanted to not be passed...the course was getting congested by then, but I kept it up. Fast Fast Fast. I past people like they were standing still. Nobody caught me.
Got a little lost in T2, the thought I still had more laps, but Wanda pointed me into the right direction. I had to skid stop as I blew into the KOS Transition.

Fastest 20 K on this kind of course I've ever done!
I am so happy.

Didn't fuss with nutrition on the ride. Had Glycocarb in my areo bottle took a number of gulps. Didn't finish a full bottle. Never needed it. Didn't have to Pee!!!!

By 4th lap I was getting tired. I eased up a little on the last third of the last lap, but was still cruising. Surprised the volunteers who were not even ready for me! My skidding tires on the dismount line startled them - they were talking and facing the other way.

Nothing. This was a picture perfect ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Excellent transition. Must have been under a minute. Didn't sit. Had a gel in my shoe, put it into my tri top, shoes on and I was gone. Fastest ever transition for me.

Not put a gel in my shoe!
Everything else was perfect.
Run
  • 25m 5s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Freakin' awesome run. I felt slow when I started, but I must have been going. The two guys who got through transition before me were the only ones in front of me...I kept up with one of them, about 100m behind. My legs didn't come back onstream for a while, but I just kept pushing. Got faster with every stride. Asked for Gatorade at water station. There was none. I'm glad. I didn't need it. I started running faster, I would have walked at that point. Ran up the hill probably at about a 5:50 pace and powered down it.
I knew Alan Barry and Nick were behind me...I kept running.
Alan finally passed me on the way back just past the highway. I sped up a bit. I was waiting for Nick, but he wasn't there...Why wasn't anyone else passing me. I was running fast! I got to the First Nations (Indian) University and started to motor. Where was Nick? I just ran...got to the grass turn off (100 metres) and I heard someone yell "Go Nick!" in Greek. There he was I just ran like I have never run. I gave it everything...Crossed the line ahead of Nick, never saw him, but he was one second behind me. He started the swim 5 seconds after me, so he ended up 4 seconds ahead of me...Bastard!
For the record. He made up his bike deficit on the bike and was running with a stitch in his side...so he had a very very fast run! Still a bastard!

Run 4 seconds faster.
Everything else was even better than plan.
Fasted 5k of my life.
Post race
Warm down:

Smiled a lot.
Hugged nick and high fived the others (three of them) ahead of me and the few behind me. Jogged about 400 metres with Nick. he still had a stich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing this was an awesome run.

Event comments:

My strategy was to survive the swim, go like a demon on the bike and then hold on for the run.
What did I do?
I bettered my swim time by a minute.
I was in the top twenty on the bike course
I ran my fastest ever 5k.
I blew the strategy out of the water!
What did I learn?
I can do this speed stuff too. And I don't need all those gels and drinks, at least at this distance.
Thanks to Starcorp for his tutelage and his encouragement!
He was in Vancouver doing his first Marathon!

Last year I finished in 1:40:51. I was 86/101 (20th/20AG) 17:56 swim, 49:52 bike, 33:04 run.

Complete Race Results are here: http://www.resultscanada.com/results2008/2008_Ice_Breaker_Triathlon...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:17 | 750 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/81
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: University pool. Warm water. First lane...slow lane...
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:34 | 20 kms | 28.19 km/hr
Overall: 15/81
I'm sure that my average speed was above 30kph when you take out the parking lot segments. 4 laps. First one was fast...HR was high...too high, but I didn't relent. Corners were still a little iffy. I geared down into the turns and then stood and powered back up to speed.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: University Course. Sandy some parts were so bad with potholes that I thought my bike was going to fall apart. Hit a rock with my rear wheel on first lap and it bounced my bike to the side and I thought "This is it...listen for the hiss" But I lucked out, no flat! this is more of a criterium course. A couple of straightaways, but lots of turns...more suited for a road bike, but the tri bike was nice in the head wind. The Dual didn't let me down...Fast fast fast...legs helped.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:05 | 05 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Overall: 0/81
out and back from university. Turnaround was at the top of Douglas Park Hill had to run up, do the circle and then run back down. Water station about 1k before turnaround only had water! Didn't bother to stop. I am so glad I didn't.
Course: I know this course well. From University to DP and back...Good condition on the paved path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker

2008-05-04 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1380888

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker
Great race buddy!
2008-05-04 6:35 PM

User image

Great job out there!

The swim lanes were some congested today. I watched part of your swim, and I saw the challenges you had with the ladies in your lane - but once you got into your groove, you looked more comfortable.

Smoking job on the bike! (You lucked out that you missed the last heat, when the wind picked up.) And awesome job on the run. (Me thinks I'll have to take a page out of your run training program.)

Nice to finally meet you in person. We'll have to do this again some time!
2008-05-04 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

Let's hope we repeat that final sprint showdown at Chinook and Morden Half Ironmans!!  Maybe next time YOU"LL be the bastard!!!

2008-05-04 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Great race, great time!  All the training is really showing up. Sprints are fun too, you can really go for it without blowing up. Sounds like you had fun! Wink

2008-05-04 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
You rule!  What a grand time you cats had.  I am a little concerned about you sabotaging Nick's bike, but he needed a handicap anyway!

2008-05-04 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1380950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
trisportnick - 2008-05-04 5:47 PM

Let's hope we repeat that final sprint showdown at Chinook and Morden Half Ironmans!! Maybe next time YOU"LL be the bastard!!!

But you are so good at it, my friend. 

2008-05-04 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1381073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Highwaydog - 2008-05-04 7:11 PM You rule! What a grand time you cats had. I am a little concerned about you sabotaging Nick's bike, but he needed a handicap anyway!

I wasn't counting on the LBS crew fixing it before the race...so close, but yet so far! 

2008-05-04 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Well  now... looky there.  Picture perfect ride and some peanut butter 5K-age.  Congratulations on a great race. 
2008-05-04 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1381110

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
And you did a great job of looking "surprised" at the blow out!  You should be an actor!
2008-05-04 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race!

Excellant execution of race plan and it seems you did better at everything than expected..that rocks!

2008-05-04 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1381241

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-05 10:10 AM

Pro
A farming town in MN

Wow...all that training has paid off...he sticks to the training plan and kicks butt at the race!

I guess I better stick to the training plan...

Congrats on an awesome race!  Look forward to seeing what else the season will bring...

2008-05-05 12:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Whoo hoo.. you rock!  See, you can go fast.  Glad you didn't have to pee..
2008-05-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1382378

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

tmason - 2008-05-05 11:33 AM Whoo hoo.. you rock! See, you can go fast. Glad you didn't have to pee..

I still haven't...Is that bad? 

2008-05-05 2:36 PM

Veteran
Sask.
Great job, way to kick your own (2007) A55!

Edited by stbrrn 2008-05-05 2:37 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker Rss Feed