Broad Street Run
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 58s
Overall Rank = 14909/19111
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1096/1547
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of oatmeal and drove to the stadiums to park. Took the subway up to the start. We got the last express train that would get us to the start on time. I walked up and seeded myself as we started moving to the starting line. I left Deger and the other guys as soon as we got off the train.
Event warmup:

Just the walk to the subway stop and from the subway station to the start.
Run
  • 1h 41m 58s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure what to expect heading into this race. My training went very well in March, but April was a different story. I got a cold at the beginning of the month and took it easy. The cold turned into bronchitis and I didn't run for about three weeks. Two weeks ago I ran a 10K and was not happy with the results because I walked a lot and it was much slower than my training pace. The next weekend my confidence was up after running the art museum loop with one of the trainers from the gym. Because of that run, I felt great heading into the last week. But by Tuesday, I was coughing more frequently again because of allergies and think I strained a rib muscle from it. I was in pain the rest of the week, but thankfully it felt pretty good by this morning. Despite the disastrous April, I ran the entire 10 miles and ultimately finished right around my initial goal when I had originally signed up. All in all, it was a great race.
What would you do differently?:

Stay healthy in the month before the race so I am able to train. Other than that, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked through the finish shoot, took the chip off, and grabbed a bag of food, and then looked for Deger and the rest of our friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training.

Event comments:

This is a great race and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:58 | 10 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1096/1547
Overall: 14909/19111
Performance: Good
Course: Straight down Broad Street.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5