HFP Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 3s
Overall Rank = 43/249
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00am to wake up. Drank some coffee and ate two granola bars. Packed up the bike on the car and headed out for the race about 6:00am.

Got onto campus and walked to the TA. Picked up chip and swim cap. Set up TA area and got into the warm auditorium. Air temp outside was in the mid-40s.
Event warmup:

Swam a lap... Should have gotten a couple more in and tried swimming under the lap lines.

The pool was amazing. 7ft deep at the shallows. 50m long and clear as day. Perfect temp. It was the most amazing pool I have ever been in... The lanes were wide... I just wish I would have brought my A game swimming wise.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got course instruction at 7:15am and start was at 7:30am. Start was time trial with people spaced every 5 seconds by race number. I was #32 so I was one of the first to start. I expected a lot more people to jump line by swim time... since it was offered but little did. Jumped in and went for the first lap. DIDN'T START MY WATCH... dummy.

Felt good for the first lap but got off when I had to turn and go under the lap line. It messed up my breathing and I started to breathe every 2 strokes. It really hurt my speed. I just could not calm down and get some air. Thinking back I should have just stopped, breathed and then started off again... but I just wanted to get done and out of the water. I got passed by 3 or 4 people... Not a good swim for me at all being that my normal training speed is 1:30-1:40/100.

Climbed out of the pool... ran out in the the cold morning air. Nice little shocker. Fortunately it was not too windy. Just in the 40s and soaking wet.
What would you do differently?:

RELAX and find a rhythm. Get my butt into the pool to get my endurance up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I really need to practice transitions... I am slow as hell. I need to work on perfecting movements with as little waste as possible.

Practice and really try and think about using as little movement as possible to get out and on the road. A hell of a lot better than my previous races with the tri suit but could be better.
Bike
  • 36m 31s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off well... The beginning of the loops had a lot of turns, was really rough and you just had to take it slow. Once on Woody Hayes Blvd. I picked up the pace and didn't look back.

Switched places back and forth with a girl riding a Felt B2 and sprint helmet the entire first and a part of the second. I wonder how she felt being passed on and off by a guy on a cheapo Trek without aero bars and no aero helmet. She did pass me on the run and finished before me... So she definately beat me all around.

The only thing that really bothered me is that I was at speed on a short straight away before the only 180 turn on the course and was pouring it on after the turn into the straight away. The cop before hand let 1 car and 1 SUV pulling a car on a trailer. The car got it and pulled in down the road... The SUV pulled out in front of me. I lock up the back wheel and barely miss the trailer. Talking to the girl that I chased and another guy that I caught on the run they really thought that I was going to hit the trailer. It was a horrible momentum killer and played it very safe on that section on the next loop.

I kept within my pace and went as hard and fast as I could. Was a great... but cold ride.

Nothing... Pace was the fastest ever and I just spun as best I could.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Umm... Yeah I wanted to start my run with my helmet on... DORK! Fortunately my wife screamed at me before I got too far away. Ugh! Practice and understand what I need to do!

Practice. Transitions. Period.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I started the first mile at a 7:30 pace and it hurt. My right calf was cramping every other step and would release as soon as presure was off... I don't know if this is a new version of jelly legs but it was not fun. After the first mile I was good until the turn around where I started to get an ab cramp. It went away fortunately and then I felt great. I pushed the pace a little harder and sprinted to the finish. I was only passed twice and passed 2 people.

Overall it was a good run and just need to keep working on keeping the volume up and work on speed.

Maybe hydrate more on the day before so I don't get crampy but that is about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some Powerade and packed it up... No real true cool down...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really deep down in my heat want to say swimming... I just did not perform today like I wanted to.

But looking at the results... I am one slow a$$ runner for my age group... For me to do well I need to push 6:00s for a 5k without blinking.

Plus being faster on the bike would always help... Of course! Time for some TITS and TOTR!

Event comments:

It was a really fun race. The racers all seemed really happy and excited to race this race. I really enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2008-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 437 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 63/249
Performance: Below average
Suit: LG Tri Suit
Course: 400 meters within McCorkle Aquatic Center on OSU campus. Start on lap lane 3, swim up lane, dive under lap lane, swim back up 4... Continue until the end.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:31 | 12.43 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 42/249
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two ~6mi loops in and around the OSU campus.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 77/249
Performance:
Course: Out and back... Almost 5k. Construction on campus limited the course distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 8:28 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Ohio State Triathlon
Oh since I am an IDIOT and did not put in the run time... It was 21:25

Edited by JChristoff 2008-05-04 8:32 PM

2008-05-04 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1381101

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Ohio State Triathlon
nice job man! whats next on the schedule for you? do you live around columbus?
2008-05-04 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Good job.  I am trying to work hard in order to get my run times down to your range. 
2008-05-05 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1381172

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
newbz - 2008-05-04 10:07 PM

nice job man! whats next on the schedule for you? do you live around columbus?

Next race that I am registered for is Wendy's on June 8th. I live in the Gahanna/New Albany area so we will have to hook up for a training ride sometime... But you will have to tune down the speed a little for me to keep up!
2008-05-05 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Nice race!! A good start to the season.
You are fast.

I hate those pool swims. I did one once. I practiced ducking under lane lines ahead of time & got good at it. Passed one person that way. BUT the race I did was so backed up it was not even funny. I should have predicted a faster speed so I was seated higher. I got caught behind a bunch of people. super annoying.

trying to run with your helmet on... hehe, i could see my husband doing that.
2008-05-05 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Great job!  Sounds like event is a lot of fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ohio State Triathlon Rss Feed