Disney Wide World of Sports - Endurance events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 35s
Overall Rank = 1802/2632
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 385/516
Pre-race routine:

Set alarm for 4:45. Ugh. Hubbie wasn't feeling well and I gave him lots of opportunities to decide to sleep in instead of going with me to the start line, but he insisted he was feeling better. We parked at the finish (Epcot) and caught a Disney bus to the start (Animal Kingdom). I was thirsty and really regretting I didn't have anything to drink, when lo and behold: Machines with Diet Coke! That accepted debit cards!! Happy to have some caffeine, and I drank about half of it before ditching the rest. I could have (and wanted to) drink it all, but knew that would just make me have to use a porta-potty during the race.

The corrals were self-paced and it seems like every walker on earth who was afraid of making the cut-offs seeded themselves at the front. Great.
Event warmup:

Minnie Mouse counted us down (helium voice! and Hubby and I are talking about how she must be counting down deco!) and some small bottle rocket type fireworks set us off.
Run
  • 1h 59m 35s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed walkers, passed walkers, then passed some more walkers. Oh yeah, then I passed some walkers. My goal for today was to break 2 hours. This was an agressive goal for me and meant I had to keep a 12:53 pace...just a tad faster than my best 10k time! First mile was 12:30, check. By mile 3, I was still on pace and feeling pretty good....I ran through all the water stops, but starting pouring water over my head anyways.

It was neat to re-visit the same route I ran in January for the mary....that incline at mile 19 was soooo much easier on fresh legs (and 20 degrees cooler)! Saw a girl with a disney mary shirt and chatted her up. We were enjoying how nice today was compared to the mary. I assumed she had finished that race, and didn't get swept like I did, so I felt GREAT when I realized that I was running a lot faster than she was :-) Go me!

Realized that the worst miles of the mary are between Animal Kingdom and MGM....boring route, no shade and several inclines that are sloped. Yuck. We hit a long straight out-and-back and while it was very refreshing to see how many folks were still behind me, there was a girl right behind me who was yelling 'Barbara!' every 10 seconds. Barbara! Barbara! Barbara! SOOOO annoying. and LOUD. Contemplating farting at her, but I couldn't muster it up.

Took a gel at mile 5. Thank God I brought gels, cuz I only managed to grab about 3 oz of powerade the whole race. I was in a hurry through those aid stations! Kept the routine of pouring water over my head.

Started to hit a low spot around mile 7...that mile was 13:30, and I was kissing my goal goodbye when we ran past the Swan resort. The road was very familiar to me and I had a clear vision of having to stop there to "rest" a few years back. Ha! It was 7 years ago, and the little walk from the Swan to the parking lot had wiped me out (I was over 100 lbs heavier then and the only exercise I got was chain-smoking). I suddenly felt so PROUD to run through there...having run 7 miles already, that I got this HUGE burst of speed (according to the Garmin, this was @ a 5 min/mi pace) and I tore it up, I think I passed 100+ people in the next few minutes.

Of course, I couldn't keep that momentum going, and a nasty little side stich made me slow it back down. This little momentum put me back on track and I just had to hold on.

Knew I was very close when I saw the chute and picked it up quite a bit to cross the finish line. I hope there's a photo of that....they might have actually caught me in the AIR.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking in circles by the timing chip removers....I just knew I'd throw up if I stopped cold. Got my ears and photo taken and grabbed some grub. Couldn't stomach the thought of warm powerade or warm water, so I drank nothing. I was thirsty too! Was so focused on getting away and finding something cold to drink that I totally forgot about my clothes in baggage check. Decided to leave without them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to lose a lot more weight.

Event comments:

Ummmm.....its Disney, that means awful early times, lots of walkers and warm powerade. It also means nice medals, decent expo and a fun time.

Last updated: 2008-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:35 | 9.32 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/516
Overall: 0/2632
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Women Run The World 15K

2008-05-04 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1381138

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Women Run The World 15K

Awesome job and sub 2

You have made huge progress from whence you came..be proud, celebrate your accomplishments..losing 100 pounds is amazing..new, faster, athletic you...you rock 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women Run The World 15K Rss Feed