Sports Spectrum
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 15s
Overall Rank = 74/105
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and got on the road at 5:15 I was unsure if I would make it but got there with about 30 min to spare. I did not do anything as a warm up except try to stay warm the water in the pool sure looked cold.
After being given the wrong number at the check in desk I headed to the chip line where the guy caught the error and returned me to the check in line then back to the chip line this was the first point of irritation after getting my number and a race belt I noticed there were no goody bags just a pile of T shirts so I asked about the shirt and was informed shirts were only for club members so no goody bag and no shirt just a belt. This may not seem like much to some people but I like getting a shirt I am a back of the packer and all I walk away with is the shirt so now I am irritated no shirt and the wrong number.

Event warmup:

None jump in swim
Swim
  • 08m
  • 400 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim we sort ourselves out based on time, the entry form asked for our expected 400 swim time but the directors left it up to us to sort ourselves out for me it worked well I was passed 1 time and that was between pools and I passed 1 person in the second pool other s had more problems the swim was 2 way in most lanes and that did result in some collisions then we exited one pool to run to a second pool and start the process over kind of odd but not too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

T-1 seemed like I took a long time with my gloves went sock less for the bike and I did run to and from my transition. Over all the transition went well better than I thought.

Speed up learn to put shoes on bike.
Bike
  • 40m 57s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike let the problems begin as soon as I get started I think something is wrong peddling seems way to hard I try to check my speed but I did not readjust the magnet so I have no speed or distance just cadence and cadence is good seems to be near 85 most of the time with a lot of time 90- 96 but I feel slow and the bike is making an odd sound. I look over my shoulder and a kid is passing me with his jacket flapping in the breeze on a hybrid with clip peddles upside down come on Cliff why is this kid opening on me? My hamstrings are really protesting now After 1 or 2 more passes the sound is still there I un hinge the front brake no change look at the tires they look fine finally near what I think must me mile 4 I stop and dismount the rear brake is firmly connected on the left to the rim not just rubbing it is solidly pressed in place DAMM!!! Remount and wow what a difference problem is my hamstrings are really hurting now all I can do is pick it up a bit and try to finish. I also can not seem to be at all comfortable aero I will say 80% of this race was spent on the base bar vs the aero bars. I passed about 4 people on the bike including the kid that passed me with the flapping jacket but I was never comfortable and exited the bike with very sore hamstrings.

Prep my bike better
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

My toes were numb?
Run
  • 18m 45s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started the run at a shuffle about 100 yards out of t-1 I hear a kid say hey dad he went the wrong way so I stop and look the father starts yelling to me this way this way DAMM I exited and turned the wrong way as did the person about 100 years ahead of me so I holler at her to come back she does and we go the correct direction. The direction maker is in a very bad location and several people made this mistake. About a half mile into the run my hamstrings hurt real bad my breathings is way to fast I am pissed off about the bike, the lack of T-shirt, and going the wrong way so I tell myself ok take 2 minuets and walk clear your head and let the legs recover after that 2 min I run the rest of the way in the run is poorly marked and in the final few hundred yards I hear 2 guys talking about the distance one used his Garmin and said the run was just under 1.5 miles I think they or at least he went the wrong way and was not called back.

Check out the exits from transitions before the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of personal and equipment preparation

Event comments:

Food at the end of the race consisted of bananas, Twinkies, yes Twinkies and packaged muffins. Screw it I took my t-shirt and went to Fat Burger Oh yea no T-shirt!!!!!

Big Note the volenteers working did a great job the problum I have is with the planning I want to thank all the people who worked the race.

Last updated: 2007-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:00 | 400 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: dual pool event
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:57 | 11 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:45 | 02 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 9:36 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Sunrise Series Triathlon #1

2008-05-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1381210

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Sunrise Series Triathlon #1

I know you felt like the race was not good, but you still had decent times...great bike split for a rubbing break, and I KNOW you are happy with your run time....

Good job pushing through to the end!

2008-05-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1381210

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunrise Series Triathlon #1 Rss Feed