Ironhead Race Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 41s
Overall Rank = 149/400
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5, had two waffles and a banana. Packed up and headed out.
Event warmup:

I did a short run to warm up, but other than that hung out and visited with folks and used the potty. The other thing I did was stub my little toe on some stones outside the gym. It REALLY hurt, but I didn't think about it after the race started and it didn't bother me at all until the end of the event when all of a sudden it started to throb. By the time I got home, I had a huge bruise on the top of my foot starting from in between my pinky toe and next toe. I have been hobbling around for much of the afternoon! I hope I didn't break it, but it sure looks yucky.
Swim
  • 06m 11s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well my swim time definitely needs some work, but once again, considering the amount of swim training I have done I won't complain. I did get passed one time in the pool and I passed one other person. I tried to pass a second person, but just decided it wasn't worth it given how much energy it takes to pass someone it didn't seem worth it.
What would you do differently?:

Train
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

One of my main goals for this tri was to speed up in transition. I still have a long ways to go, but I was faster. As soon as I got to my spot, I put my helmet on, sat down and got my socks and shoes on and opted not to wear a jacket or my gloves on the ride. I did wear my camel back which seems to take too long to put on.

Try going without the camelback and maybe even try to speed up to get under 1:30 next time.
Bike
  • 45m 20s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off pretty hard on the bike and felt good. I started to worry a bit about the fact that I had no nutrition at all for the event. I just wanted to concentrate on riding. I stayed in aero position for about 40% of the time and really tried to push hard. I kept telling myself that it was a short ride and I felt great. I really enjoyed the ride. I passed lots of people and was only passed one time. Towards the very end stretch going through the parking lot there was a guy in front of me who I thought about trying to pass, then I was afraid I would be reprimanded for passing too late. It was a bit frustrating because I couldn't get around him. He even walked through the transition area and I finally got around him.

Try to pass the slow guy at the end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

The guy in front of my slowed me down in transition as well, but after I got by him I did pretty well.

Maybe try yankZ?
Run
  • 27h 49m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 8h 56m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was trying to push it on the run and really thought my run time might be a little faster than this. I think the last hill hurt me. I need to download my Garmin info, but I am still a bit of a novice with the interpretation of all that stuff. I did see Shawna, my trainer and new tri coach, at the beginning and she yelled out "you better make me proud". That certainly kicked me into gear and got me going faster.

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and waited for friends to finish. Saw Jeepfleeb, Aaron, who finished in the top 5 overall. I also saw Tribullbutter who was volunteering in transition and many other non BT folks. My dad did this event for his second ever tri at 77 years old so I was waiting for him to finish. He was the oldest participant and won his age group (there was only one person, but still).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training. I certainly can't blame anything on the weather as it was about perfect.

Event comments:

Waited around for the awards as I wanted to watch my dad get his award. I had also originally thought I came in 3rd in my AG as that was how it was posted, then a late entry person who was at the end finished and bumped me to 4th. Somehow I still got hardware, I think it had something to do with the fact that my trainer was giving out the awards and the other person she knew. It was a fun race and I was pleased to knock off five minutes from my time on the course last year, plus an overall PR!

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:11 | 300 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 125/400
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, down and back in one lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:20 | 13.8 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Overall: 125/400
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: I have done this course twice before and have trained on it as well. I really like the course. There are a couple of hills, one pretty steep but I felt good on "Nice Hill".
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
27:49:00 | 03.11 miles | 8h 56m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 201/400
Performance: Good
Course: The course is an out and back and has a long gradual hill at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Tri-Benbrook Sprint

2008-05-05 5:45 AM
in reply to: #1381261

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Tri-Benbrook Sprint

Great race..nice paces all around

Looks like your transitions were speedy.

Isn't this fun? Nice work and congrats on a super race~ 

I had the same thing happen yesterday thought I was 3rd bumped down to 4th yesterday as well...with a slow swimmer/late entry person. 

2008-05-05 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Nice race!

Great swim, especially considering how much you swim.

Fast bike! I'd kill for that average!

Wonderful run too!

4th place in your AG? ROCKING!

One of my main goals for this tri was to speed up in transition. I still have a long ways to go, but I was faster. As soon as I got to my spot, I put my helmet on, sat down and got my socks and shoes on and opted not to wear a jacket or my gloves on the ride. I did wear my camel back which seems to take too long to put on.

1) Don't sit down. Even skip the socks for the bike, so you won't have wet feet... when you put them on in T2. Now, others will say skip the socks all together... but I know my feet would blister on the run... maybe yours would too?

2) Loose the Camelbak. For a sprint, there is no reason to carry that much water. One water bottle on the bike, ready to go.
2008-05-05 11:05 AM

Looks like you had a really solid race - good job!
2008-05-07 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Jill! You did excellent in every area! I hope your toe is doing better. Isn't amazing how you can block pain when you have other things to think about.

4th place is awesome!!!
2008-05-07 3:02 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
You always amaze me on these races!  The "umph" you put into your race is incredible!  I see lots of hardware in your future...for someone "just having fun doing triathlons"!  Awesome job, Jill!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Benbrook Sprint Rss Feed