Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 29 and under
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and a bagel with peanut butter and banana and drove an hour to get there around 7:00.
Event warmup:

Ran a few laps around the parking lot, not very far but I got a good sweat going and my heart rate was up.
Swim
  • 15m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first time swimming with a wetsuit and in open water and with a mass start. So there were a lot of new experiences! After a few initial thoughts of "this is how I'm going to die" I feel like I settled into a pretty good rhythm. The water didn't seem too bad and I didn't think of the temperature at all.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need a lot more practice with OWS. I think I'll do much better next time now that I have a better idea of what to expect.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

This took longer than I expected. I was so winded coming out of the water that my run into transition was probably pretty sad. I got the wetsuit stuck on my championchip and had to sit down to get it off.

Practice getting the wetsuit off with the timer on and learn how to jump on the bike and put my shoes on while riding.
Bike
  • 45m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like I rode about as well as I can ride at this point. Which is sad since I got passed a LOT! But that's where I am. I did pass a few people which felt good (I think one of those people had a broken pedal!). Coming up the last big hill my left calf cramped severely and so I had to do that last hill with just my right leg. That was an adventure!

I am looking forward to getting Aero Bars which I think will help some but in general I just need to develop my legs more to push harder on the hills. I've been training in Williamsburg and there aren't too many hills but I just need to find the ones there are and keep working them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I feel like I did pretty well here. I have just recently got clip pedals and haven't had much practice with them. I was pretty concerned about wrecking at the dismount but I think that I did much better than I had expected (i.e. no wrecks).

I just need to keep practicing the dismount. I think I got into my running shoes easily enough.
Run
  • 30m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay not my best effort but sadly all I had left in me. I've been dealing with shin splints so I haven't run much in training and certainly not on hills. So that first mile was rough running with jelly legs, shin splints, uphill, with no energy left and everyone passing me! I felt much better after the turnaround and picked up my pace a lot. I have a nice swollen bruise on my right shin as a medal for my efforts!

Not have shin splints? I decided to start doing Tri's to cross train because my body is not made for running but I still love to do it (even though I've never been fast). I just need to train harder to build my body up and train for more speed with more hill work.

Post race
Warm down:

Celebrated completing my first Triathlon under my projected time! Walked around stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor conditioning!

Event comments:

Great first experience and I will be back next year and now I have some concrete numbers to use as goals!

Last updated: 2008-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:30 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:01 | 12.43 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:29 | 03.11 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 11:12 PM

New user

Subject: Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon

2008-05-17 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1381329

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon

Ok, so I'm a bit late reading this  

What a great first excperience.  You did awesome and aput forth great effort (pedaling with one foot going up hill).  Nice job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon Rss Feed