Eugene Marathon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 15s
Overall Rank = 1560/1742
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 149/155
Pre-race routine:

Well, as the race was starting at 7:00am, we got up at 4:15 and took our showers and got ready to go. Lori was walking the Half Mary, so we both made sure we were ready to go. We got to the finish line at 5:30 and rode the bus to the Start line. It was pretty uneventful, but I did sleep like a baby the night before. That seems to be rare for me.
Event warmup:

Walked about 3/4 a mile with Lori, stretched and just tried to say warm. It was fairly cold before the sun got up.
Run
  • 5h 33m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow... My first Marathon. I really wasn't ready for this. I'd hurt my leg on March 31 at the Dirty Du and had not gotten very much training in over the month of April That really set me back. Plus, I've not gotten myself used to that much distance. My legs just didn't want to go any further than mile 17 or so. The last 10 miles were all done on shear will power only!

I stuck to my plan for the most part and ran 10 min walked 2 or 3 minutes. I was able to stick to that plan until about mile 20 and then it was just run what I could and walk until I felt I could run again. I don't know if it is possible to be over hydrated, but for the first half of the marathon, I had to stop and pee at just about every porta-pottie! It was really irritating.

I never felt any problems cardio wise, but my legs just didn't want to go on anymore. I really think that if I'd trained better for this, then I would have easily been able to run more, walk less, and come in in a much better position.

The course was fun and fairly easy. It is definitely a great first Marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder and better!!
Post race
Warm down:

Crawl to the car and wimper. does that count? At some bananas and drank a lot of water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs just aren't ready for that distance. I need to build up more endurance on the legs!

Event comments:

So, I don't know a lot about Marathons, but I thought this was a great race. Volunteers were everywhere and water and other needs were well provided. Aside from not being really ready for this, I had a lot of fun and it was great to be a part of.

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
05:33:15 | 26.2 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 149/155
Overall: 1560/1742
Performance: Good
Av HR 140 PK HR 162 First 13.1 2:43 Second 13.1 ~2:50
Course: This is a fairly flat and easy course, aside from the fact that it's 26.2 miles long! It was mostly fun, pleasant, and extremely well supported. A great first Marathon
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 12:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: Eugene Marathon

2008-05-05 1:31 AM
in reply to: #1381357

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Subject: RE: Eugene Marathon
You soldiered through to the end! Well done! Anything past the 13 mile mark is just bananas anyway. I kid! Congratulations! Be proud! YOU DID IT! You ran a MARATHON! Most impressive!
2008-05-05 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1381357

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Eugene Marathon

You are a marathoner.    Now that you know you have the mental strength to carry on when the body says whoa nelly.

Enjoy the feeling today.  Just take it easy and move slowly.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eugene Marathon Rss Feed