Corrigan Sports
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = 1/1842
Age Group = Male 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/34
Pre-race routine:

As usual, I woke up 4 hours before the gun and ate a Powerbar and began hydrating. I showered and went to the bathroom, then left home at 4:30 am with my dad and brother. We arrived at the race venue at 5:40 am. I went to the bathroom again when we arrived.
Event warmup:

I went out for a ~1.25 mi run at 6:05 am and felt pretty good. I stopped during the run and went to the bathroom one final time.
Run
  • 1h 17m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 05m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fantastic for the first 7.5 miles, and was on a perfect pace to go sub-75 minutes. This 8th mile was the point that I had planned to drop the hammer and really pound out the last few miles. Unfortunately, my body had different plans. My bowels began to bother me on this 8th mile, and gave me trouble until relieving itself on mile 12. These 4 miles of holding it all in really hindered my pace, and killed my race.

Fortunately, the competition was nowhere near what it was last year, and I still managed to easily hold on to 1st place. I am pretty embarrassed by the last few miles of this race, especially because I went out in 37 minutes and came back in over 40 minutes. The fact that I still had the fastest 2nd half shows how little competition there actually was.
What would you do differently?:

I have decided that my bowel problems stemmed from my eating habits. What I ate wasn't the problem - I ate perfectly all week. It was when I ate. The night before the race I ate the usual salad, pasta, and meat sause (probably with a little too much meat), but ate two large servings at 5:00 pm. I believe that my problem was that I ate so much the night before the race. Had I spread out my eating over the course of the entire day, my stomach wouldn't have been so heavily burdened that evening and would have been emptied before the race began.
Post race
Warm down:

After my first real interview for a race, I went to the bathroom and cleaned myself up the best I could. I had made quite a mess of myself. By the time I finished cleaning up it was too late to cool down, so I sat and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My eating habits the night before the race.

Event comments:

This is the second year that I have raced the Half Marathon here in Frederick, and the new course this year was much improved from last year. The only thing that I missed this year was the competition of last year. I ran the entire race alone.

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:19 | 13.1 miles | 05m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 1/1842
Performance:
5:31, 5:40, 5:43, 5:45, 5:43, 5:50, 5:43, 5:50*, 6:02, 6:08, 6:09, 6:09, 7:07
Course: A beautifully fast course with lightly rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 7:31 AM

User image

New user

Baltimore
Subject: Frederick Half Marathon

2008-05-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1381524

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Frederick Half Marathon
Sooooo you were the 20 year old with the blazing time.  Great job on the race.  Had similar problems with bowel movements and such.  Damn they suck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frederick Half Marathon Rss Feed