American Red Cross of Monroe County
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 48s
Overall Rank = 412/423
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 77/79
Pre-race routine:

Well...to be honest, I probably souldn't have done what I did. Rule number one is to never schedule a marathon the same weekend and same place your rugby alumni team is getting together. I stayed out a little late the night before.
Event warmup:

Once I got to the starting line, I did a few laps in the parking lot.
Run
  • 5h 33m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, it was good. I wasn't as trained for this race as I would have like to have been. I was literally breaking in new shoes and I crammed my training in during the last month. I didn't go about this too well, but I was able to finish, and cross Pennsylvania off the map of marathon states.
What would you do differently?:

Don't schedule a marathon the same weekend I'm hanging out with the rugby alumni.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't as prepared for the race as I could have been. For staying out late the night before, I felt fine, but when it comes down to it, it was probably not being as prepared physically as I could have been.

Event comments:

This was an okay course. I went to East Stroudsburg University, so I'm familiar with the area. The course was beautiful and if you are looking to qualify for Boston, this course is perfect. My only complaint is that there were so many areas that were just dead. I wish the race organizers could some how incorporate more of Main Street with all of the shops as well as using the areas around ESU. Towards the end you were running through the neighborhoods which was great, but I would have like to have seen more of that.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
05:33:48 | 26.2 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/79
Overall: 412/423
Performance: Good
Course: The course was 26.2 miles right into town. Lots of downhills, and plenty of uphills. My IT band went out around mile 16. I was on track to do a 4:30-4:40 marathon. As soon as my IT band went out, I couldn't run up hills nor run down the hills because of the pain. I tried to take advantage of the flat roads when I could.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes