Alexandria, Minnesota
United States
Pickle Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 15/
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the school a few minutes after 7. Got my bike on the rack near the end where I thought it would be best to have it. Then set up the rest of my transition area. After getting checked in and body marked talked with several other racers and BT'ers.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching 45 minutes before heat started.
Swim
  • 09m 27s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim went very well. The two guys in my lane wanted to swim a little faster than I thought I could but I just hung on their toes the entire time and didn't feel too tired coming out of the water. I don't know if this means I could have went faster or if I was just drafting that well.
What would you do differently?:

Been more accurate with my time prediction and either led my lane or been in a quicker lane. I felt like I had too much gas left in the tank after the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

With it being so cold, right after I got out of the pool I grabbed a towel and dried off as best but quickly as possible. I then tried to put on a jacket so I could keep warm on the bike and run. My jacket stuck to my arms a little bit. From looking at the times I spent about 30 secs extra here.

Told Mother Nature to warm up so I wouldn't have had to wear the jacket.
Bike
  • 38m 16s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was tough!! There was a portion where we came down a hill with a lake on our left and when the wind off the lake hit you, it blew you 5 feet to the right. Still not sure how I managed to stay on my bike. Overall, I was happy with my effort. Toes did get a little cold over the last five miles.

I would have liked to get more time on the bike before the race. Always ride a few times before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I thought this went well. I dismounted with my bike shoes still on due to not practicing the other technique. It still felt very good. Didn't have any trouble getting bike shoes off, run shoes on.

Practice it before race day to speed things up a little.
Run
  • 19m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and my legs were twitching like they wanted to cramp. After 1/2 mile or so they stopped and I found my pace. My back also felt tight coming off the bike. I constantly tried to speep up just a little over the rest of the course. There wasn't any water at the aid station which was a little disappointing even if it was a sprint distance. Legs and body felt real strong over the last 2 miles of the course.

Practice bricks to simulate. I am also going to look at getting a bike fit or tweaking my current position so I'm not sore coming off the bike onto the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just relaxed by finish line. Watched Mike finish and talked with Aaron. Once recovered tore down my transition area and packed up the bike. I then proceed to take the shower that I think every triathlete looks forward to followed by attending the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training.

Event comments:

Overall, I love this race and will continue to do it every year. With our weather being the way it is, I should probably consider this just a good training day and not a race. The only thing I didn't like about the race was the lack of water at the aid station. The event is always well run, great volunteers. This will hopefully jump-start me so I can feel a little more comfortable going into IMKS 70.3.

Last updated: 2008-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:27 | 600 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 17/
Performance: Good
Suit: One-piece Tri-Suit
Course: 8-lane pool with 2 to 3 per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:16 | 13 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 19/
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: "Clockwise" loop on county roads and a closed paved trail. Much of it was very open and exposed. Very strong cross wind for the first couple miles and a brutal head wind the last five miles or so.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:58 | 03 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 20/
Course: City streets, a paved trail, as well as gravel road and grass. NO WATER at the turn-around. Wasn't happy about that.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 8:35 AM

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

2008-05-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1381655

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Chain of Lakes Triathlon
Good race! It was pretty disappointing that there wasn't any water at the turn-around. I wasn't very happy about that either. Good luck in Kansas and hope to see you back in Alex next spring.
2008-05-05 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Excellent finish time. You looked pretty at ease when you finished. Do you think you had a bit more in you?
2008-05-05 9:56 AM

Veteran
North Dakota
I'm not sure if I did or not. I was completely wiped but at the same time I might have had a little bit more in me. I think the lack of training just prevented my muscles from doing that. My lungs felt pretty darn good, but if you woulda seen me during the bike you woulda called an ambulance for me
2008-05-05 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Check this out in two weeks:

lakestopines.com
2008-05-05 1:13 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Nice job. Lots of BT folks made the top 15. Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chain of Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed