View Member's Race Log
Lebanon, Connecticut
United States
Total Time = 18m 9s
Overall Rank = 1/145
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

As always, got to the race way too early. Drove the course just so I would know where I was going. I am gld I did because the first 3/4's of a mile were uphill, not that steep but just enough that could really burn your legs off.
Event warmup:

I don't know why I bother warming up for events. They always start late and by time the race starts, I have cooled down again.
Run
  • 18m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

So we get to the starting line and there are a ton of kids in this race as it is to benefit a little girl who passed away a couple of years ago. So lots of little kids from her school enter. Of course, they all go right to the front...they are kids, I would have done the same. However, this race was different. First, I heard lots of parents pulling their kids back from the front (shocking) and second, the race director says if you can't run at least a 6:30 mile, move from the front or you WILL get trampled...amazing. So that moved a bunch of kids but a bunch still stayed so I just started way over to the side.

The race starts on a very quick, steep downhill and then turns onto rt 207 with a long gradual uphill. I take off and I am in the lead...damn. My plan was to take the first mile conservatively and then push once we get off the hill. As I am running down the hill, I turn around to the kid behind me and ask if wants to lead :) He says okay and runs by me.

We turn to go up the hill and now he is starting to pull away from me, damn again. I have to decide to either let him go and run my race or gap up and see what happens. I decide to let him go and see what happens. Sure enough, by the top of the hill, I am gaining on him and pass him before the first mile. So far, I am feeling really good, come through mile 1 in 5:52 and now I can just settle in. It has been a long time since there has been nobody in front of me and it was kind of cool. I need to get a whole lot faster because I could get used to this :). Anyway, at about 1.5 miles in, we take a sharp left and run almost parallel to the way we came and I can see I have a pretty big gap already. As I have mentioned before, I have a real problem with a cramping in my right ab under my ribs. When it comes on, I am screwed. I can feel it a little so I slow the pace slightly and just focus on taking deep breathes. Pass mile 2 in 5:47 (I think) and still feeling really good. I took another peak back and no one is coming back on me. In my heart, I really wanted to dig in, reach for that extra gear and push it the last mile and break 18. The reality was I cruised in. It was a downhill finish, one you can really fly on and I think my mile 3 was slower than mile 2...oh well. It was tough to get motivated at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was a fun race, it was really neat being out in front even if it was just a little hokey race. I think I paced myself well which is always my nemesis with 5ks.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much

Event comments:

Other than starting a little late, the race was well organized, lots of volunteers, tons of cops and a good selection of food at the end. They had 95 people last year and 145 this year so it is continuing to grow.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:09 | 03.11 miles | 05m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/145
Performance: Good
Course: Short downhill start followed by an uphill through 3/4 of mile. Rest of the course was flat and fast
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 8:46 AM

Expert
Subject: Baileys 5k

2008-05-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1381686

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Baileys 5k
Great job and congratulations on the win. Sub-18 is completely in your reach.
2008-05-05 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT

Very nice race Mark! You are definitely going sub 18 next race .

2008-05-05 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
This only makes my blood thirst for an overall win worse! Awesome run and congratulations!!!
2008-05-06 7:08 AM

Pro
Andover
Well done, Mark! CONGRATS!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baileys 5k Rss Feed