United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 31
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

First off - I will add times later when they are posted:)

It started out horrible. Got off work late and had a few errands to run before we (myself, son & husband) could get on the road. Still very weak and sickly from a stomach flu type of issue. About 30 minutes into the trip, my husband reminds me that I can still back out. "He just doesn't want me to get my feelings hurt." WTF! I've been working so hard for this day and my goal is to finish and I see no obstacles, so why the pity party for me? He says he just doesn't understand why someone would enter a race that they didn't think they could win. He's crazy competative and finished top 3 in whatever he does. At this point, I realized that we had different views on the issue and they he probably would never understand my point, so I simply stated it and changed the subject.

Finally got to the hotel which had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in:) Settled in for my medication induced sleep and rested well.

Woke up the next morning to find myself still fairly weak and nauseated. Sipped on water, gatorade, and o.j. Tried to eat a waffle, but only conquered about a 3rd of it.

Headed out to the race site.
Event warmup:

Made our way to check-in/packet pick-up/tatoo parlor, and all that good stuff. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and gusting much higher than that. Kinda wishing I brough a wetsuit at this point. Didn't do much warm-ing up, it was just too cold and windy. Set up transition. Can I just say how friendly and helpful everyone was. Drank a Killer Buzz, and for the first time in 3 days, my stomach was somewhat setteled. Go time. The event coordinator gave a quick speech, told us folks without a wetsuit we were crazy and we lined up at the water.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Loved the swim from the start!!!
What would you do differently?:

Start out front. I can hold my own on pace, so no since in starting behind the folks that are going to pass be on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Husband and Son where there cheering me on. That was awesome. Now, I bet he's glad I didn't "back out."

Didn't expect the amount of water that ended up in my shoes. Didn't really bother me much though. Also, this was my first go with a swim cap...nice to have semi-dry hair when the swim was over. Now I know why guys gripe so much about........nevermind.

Not sure. Things seemed to work smoothly.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr

I need lots more endurance! Will be working on that! I see many hill repeats in my near future.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went fairly smooth. Easier than T1. I forgot to untie my shoelaces before the race. Rookie mistake:)

Again, my husband and son were right there cheering me on.

Just figure out a few more shortcuts.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Just like the bike, I've got to get faster.

Can I have my iPod? That would have really helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in the sun with the family trying to stay warm. Ate a banana and drank some water. Realized that I hadn't thought about my upset stomach the whole time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age, shape...lots of things. All things that I look forward to improving.

Event comments:

This was a great first race for me. Conditions will almost always be better as far as weather. Bike will almost always be easier around here too. I set a goal of 2 hours and beat that by about 7 minutes. (Will post exact times when they are posted.) The volunteers were great. I didn't have much in the way of support or motivation from anyone here, so I did draw quite a bit from the BT support that I have received over the last few months:)

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 500 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No suit
Course: Started on the beach and ended at a boat ramp...sweet, no sandy feet to deal with in T1. Course was very well marked. They started the guys about 5 minutes before the ladies. Was a bit nervous about the cold water, but excited to get started. Countdown...and we were off. Started at the back of the pack. Got kicked and punched a few times, but was totally expecting a little of that. One lady did seem to ride on my back for quite some time. No worries, maybe she was having trouble. I'm still having fun. I think I grinned the entire time. I was having the time of my life. Maintained my stroke and never veared off course. Wish the swim could last longer. It is by far my favorite part!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 13 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Holy HILLS. I was expecting little rollers, but my goodness. I'm not fast to begin with, so the hills were killer. Still having an absolute blast with the whole experience. The ride was beautiful and the volunteers were at every intersection keeping us safe and cheering us on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was the last 3 miles of the bike course which was a loop around the park. It was beautiful and mostly in the shade. Only saw one snake. He sped up my pace for awhile. Other than that, just tried to keep myself motivated. Even when I was giving it my all, I was still being passed frequently.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Mr. Trophy Triathlon

2008-05-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1381917

Subject: RE: Mr. Trophy Triathlon
Good job! How funny that your husband does not quite get it! You did great.
2008-05-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1381938

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mr. Trophy Triathlon

Hannah T - 2008-05-05 10:03 AM Good job! How funny that your husband does not quite get it! You did great.

Thanks HT

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mr. Trophy Triathlon Rss Feed