Bloomsday
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 5414/42697
Age Group = 37 female
Age Group Rank = 39/504
Pre-race routine:

Went to packet pick up at the spokane convention center with our verified race times from last weekends riverbank run so we could get placed in the yellow section. This is the 3rd section right after the elite and second seeding. To get in you have to have verified time on a five mile or longer race of a 9:40 min/mile pace or faster. Pretty exciting for me since there was a time I couldn't have dreamed of running that far, let alone at that pace! Then we walked around the expo collecting all our freebies and looking at the cool sports stuff. Ate pizza the night before cus it seems to be working well. Thanks to Tracy (owl_girl) for the great pre race food tip :) Had my regular waffles with peanut butter and maple syrup morning of the race.
Event warmup:

Jogged from our hotel down to the starting lineup. Waited in line at the porta potty by our section for about 1/2 an hour. Good thing we got there early!
Run
  • 1h 09m 30s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It took awhile to get up to a good race pace because of all the people. Usually I start a little too fast because of my excitement and getting caught up with the crowd, but there was no chance of that happening at Bloomsday. It took about a mile or more to get to my comfortably hard pace. The course had some pretty good hills, and the downhills were kind of hard to navigate because I like to take them pretty fast and had to weave in and out of people, sometimes getting blocked and having to slow down a bit till I could get through. I saw "doomsday" hill coming at mile 5 and slowed my pace a little and prepared myself to take it slow and steady so I wouldn't have to walk. That method worked great as I was up the hill feeling pretty strong before I knew it! I was feeling pretty good after that knowing the hardest part was over and I only had a couple miles to go. The weather was hotter than I'm used to and I started getting pretty hot, so I poured a cup of water on my head at an aid station. A little shocking but it worked! I also was able to run through some sprinklers that some awesome spectators had put out. There was a great downhill to the finish line which made the final sprint fun and easy.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, I think it went really well.
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the water aid station and grabbed a cup, heading to the tshirt pick up. The shirts were pretty cool looking this year, red with runner figures across the front. Went over to the carousel where DH and I had agreed to meet. Found each other after a little searching and walked around a bit before heading back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The large amount of people, but they also made it alot of fun!

Event comments:

It was alot of fun running with so many people. The quiet, solitude of some of the races in Montana definitely has its own charm, but the energy of the crowd and spectators in a race this size is pretty cool too. There was lots of great entertainment along the course, bands, bellydancers, soloists, partyers, clowns, costumes, you name it! Saw one guy run by in a french maid outfit, he had great runner legs too! I slapped hands with some of the kids on the sides of the road, waved, told a girl happy birthday that was wearing a "I turned 14 today" shirt, and just generally had a great time. Plan to put this one on my schedule for next year and with my time for this year I automatically qualify for the yellow section next year. WOOOHOOO!!!!

Last updated: 2007-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:30 | 07.46 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/504
Overall: 5414/42697
Performance: Good
Max hr 180 avg hr 170 This hr seems to be pretty consistent for my race pace
Course: 12k hilly loop course on paved streets
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: Bloomsday

2008-05-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1381922

Subject: RE: Bloomsday
Wow - that is a big race. I'm glad you had fun.
2008-05-05 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Roni, look at you!!!  What a great pace and even better attitude!  Sounds like a really fun event.  Keep up the good work.
2008-05-05 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Wow, great race!  Sounds like you had a good time out there!  Hooray for sunshine!
2008-05-05 1:46 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I've heard that is a fun race!  Now I understand why with your great description!!!   You make me want to jump up and run around the block!!!!

Congratulations on such a great time and an automatic entry into next years YELLOW section!!!  (It'll be nice to get away from the walkers!!!)

2008-05-08 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Nice job on the race. Boy that's a smoking time--especially since you have all of those people slowing you down at the beginning! Congrads!

2008-05-09 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
nice job on your race!!!! that is a great finish in your age group! kiu! sorry that I have been so lame and not been around much for the challenge, but I also raced on the fourth and just got back into town....so, I will be better! KIU! looks like you have some great races coming up, too! you go girl! and WEST IS THE BEST!!!! GO TEAM!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bloomsday Rss Feed