United States
Ironhead Race Productions
50F / 10C
Total Time = 1h 28m 12s
Overall Rank = 216/432
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

I love that this race is so close. I didn't have to get up at some crazy hour! Left the house and met dblack and Texmom to follow them to the race. Ate a clif bar on the way and drank some water.
Event warmup:

Well, I hadn't planned on doing anything until a little emergency happened. So to help out my fellow athlete, I put on some man flip flops and ran through the parking lot to my car and back before my swim time. It turned out to be a nice little warm up!
Swim
  • 06m 37s
  • 274 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was so irritated on this swim. I started out fine. I even passed a few people. I felt really comfortable, but then the evil old man in front of me would not let me pass. I tried several times to go around him and he would cut me off. I would reach the wall at the same time and he would just push off and not let me by. The last 3 lengths were miserable. I couldn't keep my stroke going because I was practically on top of him! I had to use breathe stroke just to slow down some. I'm not speedy at all. I just wanted to stay in a comfortable position throughout the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Push the old man under water! Did I just say that???
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Okay, so transitions are not my strong point. This is an improvement from last years time of 4+ minutes! I saw my kids and husband as I was running down the path to transition. It was so good to see them.

I don't know...stop talking?
Bike
  • 50m 5s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 16.53 mile/hr
Comments:

After crossing the red line, I chatted with my kids as I got on my bike. I loved seeing them out there. So I got off to a great start and felt fine. I just didn't feel like my legs were going fast enough. For some reason, my thighs felt very tired. It wasn't the "I just swam tired kind of legs", I just felt sluggish. I had put my garmin on just to view my time. I didn't have it set to show my speed though. (which I should have done) Anyways, I got to Nice Hill and I had my gears set, so I thought. When I arrived at the top, I realized I didn't have the chain on the smallest gear. I burned up some energy getting to the top. Oh, well...I made it down the other side fine and back up the other side of Nice Hill just fine. This entire ride was just fine...I didn't push it enough. Thanks goodness for next time...at least I have room for improvement!

Remember to not hold back so much! Go Go Go!
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

So I'm not a speedy transition girl...
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

The run portion is the only thing I train for consistently. I still had some gas in the tank that I should have used. Overall though, I'm pleased with my pace.

I need to learn how and when to give it my all...I felt like I left a lot of energy on the table.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with husband, kids, Texmom and dblack. Saw Poppy and Ben cross the line as well as some other folks who I trained with. Had some gatorade, oranges and another clif bar. I was hungry!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a great race. The weather was perfect...low humidity, partly cloudy skies, cool temperatures.

Event comments:

Race was good...very organized. Lots of help. It's very basic...all about the race, not much on extras. Well run, though.

Last updated: 2008-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:37 | 274 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/432
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: up and back...repeat...
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:05 | 13.8 miles | 16.53 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: out and back around the lake...a few hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:17 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: It reminds me of holding 3 fingers up...that's basically the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 2:52 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Tri-Benbrook Sprint

2008-05-06 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1382857

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Tri-Benbrook Sprint
Great job Blondie!!! And yeah, for the run never leave anytthing in the tank. Run like you stole something!!!

Keep it up!!
2008-05-06 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
So glad that I was able to help you out to get your "warm up" in! Thanks tons, I NEEDED it! You did awesome girl, without that slow man in the pool in front of you, you probably would have beat me in the swim. You definitely still have room for improvement in your transition time (as do I) but practice helps. I look at these people's transition times of 48 seconds and think, how the heck do they do that? Anyhow, you did amazing and a HUGE improvement from last year. You are going to do great at Danskin.
2008-05-06 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

ang!!!

FREAKISHLY INSANE, how much improvement you've made in running. I am really imopressed!

I say next time, totally sunk evil old man down... he he... i had a guy this weekend  hit me 3 times in hte head like, that makes u see starts....yeah 3 times, I was so mad, but totally kept my cool and got away, actually ended up swimming more, since i opened up, but whatever..at elast i didnt have his annoying awful punches anymore!!!!hehe

great job!! on all of them!! real prouf of you girl! 

2008-05-06 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great run time.. and I hope I'm not that "old guy" in front of you the next time since I'm saying to just swim right on his back and make him swim with the both of you.

nice job out there though

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Benbrook Sprint Rss Feed