General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocky Point ,
Mexico
Red Rock Company
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 34s
Overall Rank = 45/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a nice relaxing breakfast and then went on down to arrange my Transition area.

Event warmup:

Swam about 200 meters for a warm up and to get used to the salt water taste of the ocean
Swim
  • 20m 19s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first Ocean open water swim. The start was pretty rough almost the whole way out to the first buoy. It settled down after the first turn but there was contact the whole way. It felt like I was swimming pretty well, I had a nice comfortable pace going and even though there where some rolling waves I was in a good rhythm with them. As we turned towards the beach about halfway back we ran into the sprint racers making their turn towards the beach and the water as twice as crowded all of a sudden. Swam until I touched bottom and ran up the beach towards transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I could have swam a little harder but thats about it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Nice smooth transition. Ran into four of my friends doing the sprint in transition wished them luck on their rides and was off.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 51s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like I had a pretty good ride. Kept my heart rate down but was able to keep a pretty good pace the whole time. Most of the course had nice smooth roads but some of the speed humps were pretty big so there was always the collection of water bottles and the yellow things from aero bottles right after the bumps. Felt solid the whole time and really enjoyed being out on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Still need to get faster on the bike but this was an improvement!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems. Quick change into the running shoes and visor and I was out onto the run course.
Run
  • 51m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good the whole run. Has a decent pace going, a couple times tried to go a little faster and my heart rate went way up so I just settled back into the pace that was comfortable and I knew I could sustain. There was a steep short hill into a tunnel and running in there was kind of surreal, dark and with a weird echo. Just like the bike ride I was really enjoying being out there racing on a cool course. At the end of the two loops the course headed down to the beach and the finish line. As I was headed towards the finish line I heard the announcer yelling about a race and noticed that someone was sprinting to try to pass me at the finish. I hit the gas and out sprinted them to the finish, a great end to a super fun race!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a beer from the beer tent, watched people finish and talked to some friends.

Event comments:

This was a great race, definetly one of my favorite oly races (kegs of Corona at the finish line never hurt either). The resort was a pefect set-up, great pool area for hanging out and relaxing. It was nice to do a race that started a little later also. It was well organized and had a fun course.

Last updated: 2008-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:19 | 1000 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out to a large yellow buoy, left turn then straight across parallel to the beach to another buoy and head back to the beach.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:51 | 24.5 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops on the roads right outside the resort.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 2 Loops along the golf course with some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance

2008-05-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1383197

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance
Sounds like you had a great race!! And even with your first OW ocean swim to boot!!  Sounds like this might be a fun race to do as a group next year!
2008-05-05 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
This sounds like a fun race with no pressure. The endless Corona must have been nice as well.
2008-05-05 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Glad you had a good race- your pace was awesome at all 3 events! I always wondered how much more difficult an OWS in the ocean would be- looks like you had no problems!

Well done!  

2008-05-05 11:54 PM

User image

Mesa
Great job Travis. Speed bumps become jumps during a triathlon! I bet you put a Corona down faster than the race winner!
2008-05-06 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arizona

Good job.

I did the sprint and completely agree that it was a very fun course.  Next year I plan to do the long course.  I saw you a few times but always across the crowd.

2008-05-07 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Great job, sounds like everyone really enjoyed that race, I really want to check it out next year now.
2008-05-09 1:19 PM

User image

Master

Way to go Travis!  You always make this stuff look easy. Glad you had a fun time out there!!

Great job! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed