Sacfit
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 6s
Overall Rank = 54/1534
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/92
Pre-race routine:

As usual Loni and I slept in. Our running group was meeting at around 6:30 so that we could send off the walkers at their 7:15 start. We got to the parking lot at around 7:30. A little late but well rested:) Ate two Eggo waffles in the car on the drive to the race. Applied sun screen in the parking lot as directed by Loni since it was going to be a beautiful clear day.
Event warmup:

Loni and I did a slow jog from the parking lot to the race start which was about half a mile.
Run
  • 1h 35m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great race which I think reflects in my PR time and first time in the top 100. I also missed the top 10 in my age group by 1 minute, oh well next time. Everything felt good my breathing was calm and smooth, my legs were a little tight and sluggish but not bad, and my form was good throughout the race.
What would you do differently?:

I think I will avoid doing my 64 mile bike ride to and from work 2 days before a race. That was probably the tight and sluggishness my legs where experiencing.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate a turkey Subway sandwich from the Subway booth, 1 chocolate chip cookie, 1 Jamba Juice thing, 2 gaterades, and 2 bottles of water. Cheered on my running group peeps as they finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably the bike ride to and from work 2 days before the race. Next time I won't do that and see if I can go faster. Also could probably do more speed work.

Last updated: 2008-04-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:06 | 13.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/92
Overall: 54/1534
Performance: Good
Course: The course is an out and back with the walkers going up-stream with a 7:15 start time and the runners going down-stream with an 8:15 start time. Both courses are mostly flat with a few rollers. The runners course starts on the bike trail and proceeds down the trail until Watt avenue where it climbs up onto the levee. You stay on the levee until the turn around which is at the campus commons golf course. Once back on the bike trail you stay there until the finish. Just about anybody who has run or biked on the American river bike trail will know the course whether they are doing the walker or runners course. The levee can become warm depending on the conditions on race day since there are few trees. The levee is also very straight and somewhat boring after a while. I prefer the bike trail portion its self since it is winding and has some elevation changes however minor.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes