General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
Ultramax
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 16s
Overall Rank = 126/539
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30am, had a grilled chicken sandwhich, banana, and some gatorade. Owen showed up around 3:30 and we headed to Columbia (about a 2 hr drive or so). Got there around 5:30, signed in, got timing chip, body marked, setup transition area.
Event warmup:

Light jogging, otherwise not much warmup.Hung out at the rec pool for an hour waiting to start.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was pretty bad, I guess the longer pool and the ducking under ropes traversing the lanes must really be hard for me? I never really felt comfortable the whole swim. Pretty much didn't even focus on form, just swam, so thats not good. On a side note, I exited the pool at 9:45 so I was a little closer to my practice times. Didnt factor in the run when I selected my wave group.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to practice, pracitice, practice. I've only been swimming 2.5 months so I guess I just need to work really hard at it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Everything went well. Was a little cold running from pool to trans area at 45 degrees. Dried off quickly and put on shoes, helmet, glasses and was off.

Not sure, just keep fine tuning and practicing.
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall it was a fast bike course despite rough roads. There were a couple confusing 90 degree turns but volunteers kept us straight. My friend actually got off course for a couple miles.

I thought it was a good ride for me, forgot to set my bike comp so I struggled with it for the first bit out of the bike exit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I don't do any of the fancy stuff, just run in, rack the bike, take off bike shoes, put on running shoes, number belt and im off. Had a shot of gel and a drink of water before I exited trans.

Learning all the little tricks will certainly bring this time down.
Run
  • 20m 52s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt really good until about 100 yds into the 3rd mile. Got a terrible pain in my front abs (stitch?). Couldn't take deep breaths because of the pain, just little quick breaths. Not sure what happened to me since i've never felt anything like this before. It did subside shortly after I finished however.

Crossing fingers hoping that pain never happens again. Not sure if drinking brought it on, but it flared up within 30 seconds after drinking some HEED.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and walked a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim needs to improve dramatically to be even close to being competetive in my AG.

Event comments:

Race was super awesome and I had a blast. Got to meet another BTer, crozetiga (Josh) afterwards and say Hi. Unforunately I couldnt stay around for the pizza and beer that was on its way, had to make my way for a bike ride that was 2 hrs away.

Last updated: 2008-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/49
Overall: 49/539
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 50 yard pool, snake style swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:18 | 15 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/49
Overall: 90/539
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2-> 7.5 mile loops. Some rough road patches. Only a couple of hills.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:52 | 02.9 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/49
Overall: 110/539
Performance: Average
1st mile-> 6:30 2nd mile-> 6:57 3rd mile-> 7:25
Course: Small hills , mostly flat, around Mizzou campus.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon

2008-05-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1383306

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon
Great job...lots of good things here: Speed on the bike, transition times, pace on the run. Way to go! Thanks for sharing your report and congrats!
2008-05-05 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Terrific job, John! Did you grill the chicken at 2am?! WOW! I need a pre-race chef like you around but awesome job on the swim, navigating the crazy lanes, etc. You're mph on the bike rocked! and 7:12 mpm on the run? wow, I can only dream of it. It only gets better from here.

thanks for sharing
2008-05-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1383509

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

kt65 - 2008-05-05 7:45 PM Terrific job, John! Did you grill the chicken at 2am?! WOW! I need a pre-race chef like you around but awesome job on the swim, navigating the crazy lanes, etc. You're mph on the bike rocked! and 7:12 mpm on the run? wow, I can only dream of it. It only gets better from here. thanks for sharing

Hah, i was doing good to be awake(ish) at 2am , leftovers is all i could manage at that time of day but i'd be happy to be your pre-race chef!

John

2008-05-07 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

Sorry i havent replied to this yet... its been a super busy week.    Great job on the race!   You are hardcore for going back and doing a ride that afternoon.     It was great meeting you.   Take care

Josh

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed